Cash ETFs and Trading Fees

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jsnikeris

Cash ETFs and Trading Fees

Post by jsnikeris » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:16 pm

At what point does it become worthwhile to move your cash position into ETFs like SHV and BIL considering that there is usually a fee for doing so? It would cost me 2x $7 to do so (Traditional and Roth IRAs), and I'm considering just leaving my cash in the (non-T-bill) money market fund.

Suppose you just contributed your yearly $5,500, and you were already perfectly balanced (25/25/25/25). Do you buy $1,375 of SHV or BIL and pay the $7 fee?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cash ETFs and Trading Fees

Post by Pointedstick » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 pm

I only buy commission-free ETFs and you should too! But there's still the expense ratio, which at the moment wipes out the dividend on BIL and SHV. I keep most of my cash in SHY and SCHO, which I can trade commission-free and whose dividends pay their for their fees and then some.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
jsnikeris

Post by jsnikeris » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:04 am

I ended up just buying some T-Bills which was commission-free.
Tyler
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tyler » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:48 pm

I personally keep about a years worth of expenses in a money market account and the rest in SCHO.  The $8 trading fee is no big deal when you only touch the ETF once a year.