Bail-ins

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bail-ins

Post by lordmetroid » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:02 am

First there was bail-ins on Cyprus where people who had more than €100k got shafted and had a chunk of their bank account simply seized to bail-in the bank they lent their money too.
Now there is talk about an even more grevious Bail-in sezuire in Greece where people who has more than €8k on their bank would get 30% of their account seized to rescure the bank.

I got my Cash portion in a bank as it is today but it seems like banks can not be trusted these days. Perhaps I should buy bonds instead. Though the problem is that the Swedish bond market do not have any pure short term state bond funds to purchase. The best one can find is a a few mixed funds which also would incorporate corporate, municipal or property bonds. What should I do?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bail-ins

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:13 pm

Perhaps you could diversify your cash holdings. Buy some short term government bonds directly, keep some money in the bank, and stash some actual cash (physical paper money) some place safe. I would avoid short term bond funds that hold non-government debt unless the credit rating is at least AA.

On a side note, Greek type crisis rarely happen overnight. Anyone with more than two functional brain cells has known for years that Greece was bankrupt and that eventually various forms of financial repression would be inevitable. If I had the misfortune of living in that country I would not have left a single cent in a bank for at least the last four years. Conversely I have a high degree of confidence that no imminent threat exists to the Swedish banking system.

Still diversification is always a good idea. It's very rare, but sometimes bolt from the blue type events do happen.
Last edited by Ad Orientem on Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bail-ins

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:08 pm

lordmetroid wrote: First there was bail-ins on Cyprus where people who had more than €100k got shafted and had a chunk of their bank account simply seized to bail-in the bank they lent their money too.
Now there is talk about an even more grevious Bail-in sezuire in Greece where people who has more than €8k on their bank would get 30% of their account seized to rescure the bank.
That only happened to account holders at one large bank in Cyprus; and it was mostly foreign (Russian mafia) deposits.

I haven't heard of a similar deal with Greece.  I don't see that Greek banks need to bail in anything because the solution is to print up the drachma which will result in a 50% devaluation overnight.  Staying the Troika's patsy isn't going to do Greece any favors, but maybe I overestimate the intelligence of their politicians.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!