The End of Cash

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The End of Cash

Post by barrett »

Desert wrote: Do you feel bad about missing the cash back you'd get from a CC, or do you find ~2% a small price to pay for the privacy?
I know this question wasn't asked of me directly but as a big fan of cash, yes, I find missing out on that 2% to be a small price to pay.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: How much "cash" do any of you actually use?
A. Farmer's markets
B. Pizza night w/ two friends. Two of us decided that using cash to just pay what we owe is cheaper than a 3-way split for unequal orders every week, cash-back credit cards notwithstanding.  ;)

That's about it, except some checkwriting and direct debits where a credit card is not accepted.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Desert wrote:
Ad Orientem wrote:
MediumTex wrote: How much "cash" do any of you actually use?

Most of my transactions involve some kind of payment card.  I don't use paper currency that much anymore.

If you do use cash, do you use it for large purchases?

I think that cash is naturally being phased out, not through coercion, but just through the convenience of payment cards and other electronic transactions.
With some common sense exceptions (very large purchases) I try to use cash as much as possible. I am sick of everybody knowing what I am doing with my money. And I know that I am pissing off an untold number of people in the Treasury Department with my cash withdrawals from the bank.
Do you feel bad about missing the cash back you'd get from a CC, or do you find ~2% a small price to pay for the privacy?
Definitely a small price.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Ad Orientem wrote: Definitely a small price.
If you're not engaged in potentially criminal activities, what are you so afraid of?  There's a point of being TOO paranoid.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

MachineGhost wrote:
Ad Orientem wrote: Definitely a small price.
If you're not engaged in potentially criminal activities, what are you so afraid of?  There's a point of being TOO paranoid.
It's not a question of paranoia. It's the principal. The government is doing all kinds of things it should not be doing because no one is willing to say "No, you can't do that" to them. What I do with my money is nobody elses damned business.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Ad Orientem wrote: The government is doing all kinds of things it should not be doing because no one is willing to say "No, you can't do that" to them.
Also, is the US Dollar legal tender or is it not?

Legal tender is by definition "coins or banknotes that must be accepted if offered in payment of a debt." Can I walk into an airport and buy a plane ticket with cash? What about paying for a hotel room? Maybe they'll accept it on check out but you can't check in without a credit card and, in most cases, a driver's license. I can't rent a car with cash. The list goes on.

To me this is the kind of authority creep (my term) Harry Browne was talking about immediately post 9/11 when he warned that steps the government takes in an emergency have a way of never being rescinded.