Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

dragoncar
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: New I Bond Rate - May 1, 2015

Post by dragoncar »

barrett wrote:
dragoncar wrote: Why the sad face?  .8% real is better than 0% real!  I thought people were glad Ibonds couldn't go negative for just this reason.
The composite rate of return on new bonds is 0%, not .8%. Can someone explain to me why anyone would lend the government money for nothing in return? Safer than a bank? A mattress?
Dude, you've been here long enough to understand real vs. nominal return.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

dragoncar wrote:
barrett wrote:
dragoncar wrote: Why the sad face?  .8% real is better than 0% real!  I thought people were glad Ibonds couldn't go negative for just this reason.
The composite rate of return on new bonds is 0%, not .8%. Can someone explain to me why anyone would lend the government money for nothing in return? Safer than a bank? A mattress?
Dude, you've been here long enough to understand real vs. nominal return.
Right you are. I guess that mental leap to think of a 0% return actually being better than -.8% deflation was just a bit much for me. Forgive me. I have recovered. Have to learn to think like a Japanese or European investor.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Looking at http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid1503.pdf, it seems like Sophie's right. Excluding food and energy, 1-year CPI is actually +1.8%.

…Which is still really low, but it's not negative.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

Bean wrote: Fixed Rate = 0.00%
Inflation Rate = -0.80%
Composite rate = 0.00%

:'(
In case anyone is unaware of how I-Bond rates are calculated, this inflation rate is for the six months from September to March.  Annualized, it's –1.60%.  Even better real return at 0% nominal!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

I suppose better than a money market fund that breaks the buck.