Is this appropriate for my CASH holdings?

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

fishdrzig
Associate Member
Associate Member

Is this appropriate for my CASH holdings?

Post by fishdrzig »

1/2 VFISX  1/2 BIL

I would prefer to be all in Vanguard but the Admiral share Treasury Money Market account(VUSXX)count (is closed to new investors and right now I have all my CASH in VMMXX.  I would like to get a little yield anyway.  Any advice here?  Thanks
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Is this appropriate for my CASH holdings?

Post by buddtholomew »

Are CD's an option or are you only interested in short-term treasuries? Have you considered SHY or SHV?
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

VFISX is good. I use this for cash for all VG holdings and have for a few years.  You can get check-writing privileges out of that fund, so it works well for emergency funds, too.
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

fishdrzig wrote: 1/2 VFISX  1/2 BIL
Yes this seems fine.

I think 100% BIL and "scraps" of VMMXX would be better. IMO, keep it simple stupid (KISS), put practically all cash in T-bills as instructed, and move on.

In one of my accounts I have 100% of my cash in VMMXX, which is not ideal, but IMO is just barely acceptable. While not a pure T-bill fund, due to Vanguard's conservatism, it is about 40-50% US government bills and the remainder is high quality paper. I'll be switching this to Vanguard's T-bill fund as soon as it reopens.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Fidelity's treasury money market fund is open if you can put in the $25K minimum balance.  BTW I got a notice that this fund has now changed and is no longer treasury only, but they opened a new treasury only fund - so check your inbox if you're holding this.

I find T bill auto-roll to be lots easier.  Which T bill duration did you pick?  I debated between one and 3 months, and ended up with 3 months.  There's little advantage in going out to 1 year.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

VFISX has duration risk.  The maximum drawdown is around -7.21% since 1991, which is very steep for cash.  There are better ways to fry the cash management fish.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

Average maturity is 2.4 yrs, average duration 2.3 years.  So 1% increase in interest rate will yield 2.3% loss.  I'd rather be in treasuries than corporate paper, I want check-writing privileges, and my money is at vanguard.  This seems to be the best option.

What happened in 1991? 

When the treasury money market reopens, I would suggest switching to that, but for now with rates where they are, I think VFISX is acceptable.  It's always important to understand the risks.
fishdrzig
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by fishdrzig »

KevinW wrote:
fishdrzig wrote: 1/2 VFISX  1/2 BIL
Yes this seems fine.

I think 100% BIL and "scraps" of VMMXX would be better. IMO, keep it simple stupid (KISS), put practically all cash in T-bills as instructed, and move on.

In one of my accounts I have 100% of my cash in VMMXX, which is not ideal, but IMO is just barely acceptable. While not a pure T-bill fund, due to Vanguard's conservatism, it is about 40-50% US government bills and the remainder is high quality paper. I'll be switching this to Vanguard's T-bill fund as soon as it reopens.
/can someone give me the ticker symbol for the above T-bill Vanguard fund?  Thanks
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

VUSXX. It has been closed since the Fed lowered T-bill rates to practically zero.
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

I hold my cash in normal debit accounts in various banks.
Thinking it might be wise to maybe open accounts in foreign banks as well but I do not like the currency exchange rate risks.