Physical Cash vs. TBills with no interest

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Physical Cash vs. TBills with no interest

Post by MachineGhost »

Reub wrote: Ally Bank is paying 0.85% MM with check writing and FDIC insurance.
Barclays Savings still beats that at .90%!
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Speak of the devil, just got this e-mail in a few minutes ago:

Great news, rates have gone up.

That's right. We are excited to let you know about the rate increase for your online savings account.

Here are the details, on 12/15/2014 the Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on your Online Savings account increased from an APY of 0.90% to the new APY of 1.00%.

Is this the beginning of "Tight Money" that we all fear???
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Ally is up to 0.99% which sounds a lot higher than 1.00% any day.
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

Back to the OP's question.

Throw some vacuum sealed bags of greenbacks in with your physical gold.  I think having several months of living expenses in vacuum sealed FRN's is a reasonable allocation of the PP cash.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Mark Leavy wrote: Back to the OP's question.

Throw some vacuum sealed bags of greenbacks in with your physical gold.  I think having several months of living expenses in vacuum sealed FRN's is a reasonable allocation of the PP cash.
Whats with the vacium sealing?  I just bought the latest generation FoodSaver a few weeks ago!  Got a great deal on it, just like the $99 robot vacuum today that I've been waiting ages for and which I tried to share with everyone here, but it sold out within 10 minutes. :(
Last edited by MachineGhost on Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy »

MachineGhost wrote: Whats with the vacuum sealing?
Paper/Cloth is organic and subject to moisture and oxidation.  I like to throw a packet of desiccant in before vacuum sealing.  The Feds use some pretty high quality paper, but... the insurance is cheap.
Stewardship
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Stewardship »

How about Treasury Zero-Percent Certificate of Indebtedness (C of I) in place of Tbills with no interest?

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... rnMore.htm

Aren't these technically more liquid than Tbills and safer than FDIC-insured accounts?
Last edited by Stewardship on Wed May 06, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a world of ever-increasing financial intangibility and government imposition, I tend to expect otherwise.