Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cash is king again

Post by Pointedstick »

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/07/ ... conundrum/
Charles de Vaulx has an investment idea: cash.

That may seem an odd choice, since cash earns less than inflation, making it a money-losing proposition.

But Mr. de Vaulx, who oversees $17.8 billion as chief investment officer at International Value Advisers in New York, has been boosting his cash position. He is having trouble finding stocks he considers cheap and won’t buy overvalued stocks. He considers bonds even more overvalued than stocks, leaving him perched on a lumpy cash pillow.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cash is king again

Post by dualstow »

I keep trimming vp stocks as the market climbs and because I'm worried about the cost of an upcoming project, the cash is just sitting around like second-class gold. It's a weird feeling. Get us back to 5% interest at the bank, and this forum will be overrun with new adherents to the pp.
But, the author of the article above will be able to say he was in cash "before it was cool."
🍍
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

5% interest at the bank will probably be enough to get me to open a VP that consists of half cash and half munis at like 10%.  8)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Pointedstick wrote: http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/07/ ... conundrum/
Charles de Vaulx has an investment idea: cash.

That may seem an odd choice, since cash earns less than inflation, making it a money-losing proposition.

But Mr. de Vaulx, who oversees $17.8 billion as chief investment officer at International Value Advisers in New York, has been boosting his cash position. He is having trouble finding stocks he considers cheap and won’t buy overvalued stocks. He considers bonds even more overvalued than stocks, leaving him perched on a lumpy cash pillow.
I bet a lot of big funds are doing this, and it's a lot of the reason why the PP has been doing poorly over the past few months.  The only economic condition it can't handle well is a big retreat into cash, and this has been exacerbated lately by the gap between short term interest rates and inflation.  The condition is time-limited though, because investors (large or small) just aren't going to sit on that much cash for too long.  Witness what's been going on the past few days.  I'm sure wishing I'd hit a rebalance band back when gold was at 1200, but alas....
Last edited by sophie on Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan »

sophie wrote:I bet a lot of big funds are doing this, and it's a lot of the reason why the PP has been doing poorly over the past few months.  The only economic condition it can't handle well is a big retreat into cash
This sounds like a great explanation of what we've been seeing lately.  But, since we hold 25% cash ourselves, doesn't others' hoarding of it make our cash more valuable?  So maybe the PP hasn't been doing so badly lately after all.  Cash is surely the hardest to measure.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Xan wrote:
sophie wrote:I bet a lot of big funds are doing this, and it's a lot of the reason why the PP has been doing poorly over the past few months.  The only economic condition it can't handle well is a big retreat into cash
This sounds like a great explanation of what we've been seeing lately.  But, since we hold 25% cash ourselves, doesn't others' hoarding of it make our cash more valuable?  So maybe the PP hasn't been doing so badly lately after all.  Cash is surely the hardest to measure.
Our cash (the dollar) is doing better, but only in comparison to other currencies.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Large cash reserves seem to be gaining in popularity among well off investors stung by market volatility...
http://www.today.com/money/whats-wealth ... 6C10717158
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.