I-Bond Question

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I-Bond Question

Post by WildAboutHarry »

BearBones wrote:1. How do you make this decision?

2. Say, nearing retirement, you have finally accumulated 200K in I-bonds. We then enter another 1970's style inflationary environment. You'd like to sell and buy new, but you are limited to purchasing only 10K. Back to square 1. What to do?
I-Bonds are now, for all practical purposes, a one-decision investment (or money parking place) due to the purchase limit you mention.  It doesn't seem worth paying the taxes due and reinvesting, especially since you have the 1 and 5-year redemption issues. 

I plan on spending down whatever I-Bond balance I have in retirement, spending the 0s first and holding on to the 2s and 3s until the 2030s!
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

I'm with Wild.

I see I Bonds not only as "deep cash" with a winning combination of safety and good returns, but also as a vehicle for tax deferral, if you're within 30 years of retirement.  They're sort of like a non-deductible IRA contribution, except with far more user control.  If you sell an I Bond, you have to pay taxes on the entire amount of interest you've earned, which is probably not worthwhile in order to up the fixed rate a few %.

I have the permanent portfolio & Bogleheads to thank for opening my eyes to I bonds.  Amazingly, you won't read about them anywhere else.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Sophie wrote:They're sort of like a non-deductible IRA contribution, except with far more user control.
This is a really good point about I-Bonds that is often overlooked.

I have a July 2001 I-Bond (at 3%) that is on the verge of doubling ($1.00 is now worth about $1.90).  All that interest was immune from federal income taxes and will be until I cash it in in 2031.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Yeah, soon after I moved to my current location and found myself suddenly unemployed for many months, my dad advised me to buy I Bonds in lieu of having a retirement account. This was long before I knew about bogleheads or the pp. I didn't realize just how wise he was/is. :-)
Last edited by dualstow on Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.