Adirondack HSA APY down to 1%

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Adirondack HSA APY down to 1%

Post by foglifter »

The only reason I found out that they dropped the APY starting January 1st is the mighty Google Finance API. I have a spreadsheet with the key rates for all my savings accounts and today I decided to look at it and there it is -1%. :-[ . Going from 3% to 1% is quite a drastic move.

Oh well, looks like it's time to move my money to HSABank.
Last edited by foglifter on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
rocketdog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Adirondack HSA APY down to 1%

Post by rocketdog »

HSABank is down to 0.90%, so not much better there either. 
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.
- H. L. Mencken
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

rocketdog wrote: HSABank is down to 0.90%, so not much better there either.
The primary perk of HSABank is the investment feature through TD Ameritrade. I'm going to keep 5K  in the core account at 0.60% (to avoid any fees) and invest the rest. Buying TLT (to avoid California taxes) would be a no-brainer, although with 100 zero-commission ETFs to choose from I could do a full-blown separate PP or VP or whatever.

My credit union pays 1.25% on HSA accounts, so I keep that in mind as plan B.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

foglifter wrote:The primary perk of HSABank is the investment feature through TD Ameritrade. I'm going to keep 5K  in the core account at 0.60% (to avoid any fees) and invest the rest.
That is what I'm doing.  No complaints so far.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison