Fidelity Cash Options?

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Fidelity Cash Options?

Post by flyingpylon »

I have a 401k at Fidelity with a brokerage window. FDLXX is mentioned in the new PP book as a good fund for cash, and I have some of that already. Are there other good options, like perhaps FSBIX? It's been mentioned here on the forum a time or two, but not real recently. IIRC, it has a lower expense ratio and a little more interest rate risk.
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Fidelity Cash Options?

Post by murphy_p_t »

why not buy t-bills? they trade free at fidelity and vanguard
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter »

Both T-bills and FSBIX are good options for PP cash.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

It sounds like you have this sorted out. FDLXX is a Treasury MMF and the most orthodox choice, but its expense ratio is high. FSBIX is an index fund of 1-3 year bonds, so it has lower expenses and generally higher yield but can experience mild NAV volatility. AFAIK those are the only two Fidelity funds worth considering for PP cash.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon »

murphy_p_t wrote: why not buy t-bills? they trade free at fidelity and vanguard
The FUD factor, most likely. But then I did learn how to buy my own LT bonds, so perhaps I should look into it some more.  I just want to be as hands-off as reasonably possible... a FDLXX/FSBIX combo would certainly be easy.

Thanks for the replies.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

KevinW wrote: It sounds like you have this sorted out. FDLXX is a Treasury MMF and the most orthodox choice, but its expense ratio is high. FSBIX is an index fund of 1-3 year bonds, so it has lower expenses and generally higher yield but can experience mild NAV volatility. AFAIK those are the only two Fidelity funds worth considering for PP cash.
Actually I think FSBIX is 1-5 yrs and is only required to hold 80% in T-Notes. My memory may be off though, I will double check. But if that is the case I'd be a little cautious about going there. That's a little farther out on the curve than I'd be comfortable going if your looking for a near cash stash.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

You are correct, my bad. From Fidelity's Strategy statement:

Normally investing at least 80% of assets in securities included in the Barclays 1-5 Year U.S. Treasury Index. Normally maintaining a dollar-weighted average maturity of three years or less. Engaging in transaction that have a leveraging effect on the fund.

The <100% caveat is unfortunately pretty common among "Treasury" funds.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

I don't think 100% is something I would consider carved in stone. But 80% seems like a bit too much leeway for my liking. SHY and SCHO both have 90% requirements. I think those are reasonably good funds and they are in the 1-3 year range. Im just not real comfortable going farther out on the curve for something that is supposed to be near cash and therefor very low in interest rate sensitivity.
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

Yeah, personally I use mostly MMFs with a little bit of SCHO. Chasing yield with cash seems like a slippery slope IMO.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

KevinW wrote: Yeah, personally I use mostly MMFs with a little bit of SCHO. Chasing yield with cash seems like a slippery slope IMO.
I wish that were an easier option, but these days, most treasury MMFs are closed to new investors or those without a significant chunk of change. As a result, I'm using SCHO, SHY, and VFISX.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

Let's all throw a Welcome Home party when VUSXX finally reopens.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

Another good option is SHV. Your not going to get much in yield but its safer than SHY.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Another vote here for buying T-Bills or short term treasuries directly.  You can make a case for doing this for the entire cash allocation in the 401K, since you won't be needing it as an emergency fund.  If you buy T-bills, you can arrange to have them rolled over automatically, so you don't have to do anything once it's set up.  Why pay expenses for someone to do what you can do for yourself very easily?

Also note that at Fidelity, you'll pay trading fees on SHV, SHY, SCHO etc.  Insult to injury....
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

sophie wrote: If you buy T-bills, you can arrange to have them rolled over automatically, so you don't have to do anything once it's set up.
Which brokers do that? Is that a common feature?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I use SHY and SCHO because they trad for free at the brokerages where I hold them. Is it really worth it to use directly held T-bills instead? For some reason, I've never managed to  get it through my head why I should do this instead of using the cash-ish ETFs.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Pointedstick wrote: I use SHY and SCHO because they trad for free at the brokerages where I hold them. Is it really worth it to use directly held T-bills instead? For some reason, I've never managed to  get it through my head why I should do this instead of using the cash-ish ETFs.
Buying T-bills eliminates a layer of manager/fund risk.  The yield is slightly better too (0.18 current vs 0.02 for SHV, and less for treasury money markets), because of the difference in expenses.  There's nothing wrong with using the funds though, if you don't have to pay commissions.  It's just that at Fidelity, it's hard to pay $7.95 to put, say, $1,000 into a fund that won't earn back the commission anytime soon.
KevinW wrote:
sophie wrote: If you buy T-bills, you can arrange to have them rolled over automatically, so you don't have to do anything once it's set up.
Which brokers do that? Is that a common feature?
Fidelity and Treasury Direct, and maybe others I don't know about.  Here's the Fidelity auto-roll info page:

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-b ... ll-program
Last edited by sophie on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I looked into buying T-bills and 30 year treasuries in my Schwab 401k and it looks like the minimum purchase amount is about $25,000. Would that I had $100,000 in my 401k!  :) Guess I'll be waiting a few more years.
Last edited by Pointedstick on Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
KevinW
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by KevinW »

sophie wrote: Fidelity and Treasury Direct, and maybe others I don't know about.  Here's the Fidelity auto-roll info page:

https://www.fidelity.com/fixed-income-b ... ll-program
Thanks.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

Pointedstick wrote: I looked into buying T-bills and 30 year treasuries in my Schwab 401k and it looks like the minimum purchase amount is about $25,000. Would that I had $100,000 in my 401k!  :) Guess I'll be waiting a few more years.
How annoying.  Fidelity's treasury MMF has a $25K minimum too.  But...you'll get to that $100K soon enough!
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Pointedstick wrote: I looked into buying T-bills and 30 year treasuries in my Schwab 401k and it looks like the minimum purchase amount is about $25,000. Would that I had $100,000 in my 401k!  :) Guess I'll be waiting a few more years.
You sure about that? I use a Schwab brokerage window in my 401(k), and I have made commission-free Treasury bond purchases of only $1000 on more than one occasion.

Maybe you have a different type of account at Schwab than I do?
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Tortoise wrote:
You sure about that? I use a Schwab brokerage window in my 401(k), and I have made commission-free Treasury bond purchases of only $1000 on more than one occasion.

Maybe you have a different type of account at Schwab than I do?
Huh, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I too have a Schwab brokerage window in my 401k. Here's what I see (scroll to the right):

- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Pointedstick wrote: Huh, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I too have a Schwab brokerage window in my 401k. Here's what I see (scroll to the right):
Oh, those are just default amounts since you evidently didn't enter a specific face value on the previous screen.

Try it again, but on the previous screen, enter a face value of, say, $1000 in the appropriate field and click the "Filter by Face Value" button directly beneath it. Then, on the next screen the right-most column will contain purchase amounts of around $1000.
Last edited by Tortoise on Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

...Oh! Well that makes sense. Looks like I'm replacing my SCHO and TLT positions with directly-held bonds on Monday!  ;D
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

Harry Browne would be proud ;)
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Just replaced my TLT position with a bunch of 2.75% 30 year treasuries. Tortoise, how do you handle cash? Do you just manually make a bond ladder or regularly repurchase T-bills? Unless I've missed it (very possible), Schwab doesn't seem to have an automatic laddering tool or anything.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan