Executive Member

iBonds / TreasuryDirect

Post by Dieter »

So, I logged into TreasuryDirect Sunday (5/7) — uses the new login:
* Are sent a one-time passcode (OTP) every time
(can’t register your computer)

* No more using on-screen keyboard

* Password now case sensitive, based on the capitalization used for first login

I didn’t do any changes (I’m looking to “rollover” some iBonds for the higher fixed rate) —

* My older iBonds still on the higher rate

* Gonna wait for three months at the lower rate for iBonds under 5yrs old
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: iBonds / TreasuryDirect

Post by dualstow »

and in those 3 months, the website will have changed again. O0

I appreciate the updates. I have to login soon. It’s been awhile.
🍍
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Thanks for posting this Dieter. Reminded me to login to check out the new & enhanced site.

Is it just me or has the site overall gotten even worse recently? There used to be a section that listed the fixed rates of I-Bonds all the way back to inception. It looks like one can only go back to 2018 now. In my case, I have paper printouts with fixed rates that I have written next to each serial number (for all my paper bonds purchased long ago).

Still clunky after all these years.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

And a video on the new iBond rate and when to maybe “roll over” 0.00 fixed rate iBonds to buy into the new 0.90 fixed rate

https://youtu.be/7ooIgdycrfw
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

I just sold some 0% fixed rate I-Bonds and bought new ones at 1.3% (Fixed rate at 1.3% through the end of April)

Per one YouTube video I say, the fixed rate likely to be slightly lower May 1

And, figued 1.3% is better than my 0%, even with the 3 month interest penalty for selling before 5 years are up
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

Dieter wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:34 pm I just sold some 0% fixed rate I-Bonds and bought new ones at 1.3% (Fixed rate at 1.3% through the end of April)

Per one YouTube video I say, the fixed rate likely to be slightly lower May 1

And, figured 1.3% is better than my 0%, even with the 3 month interest penalty for selling before 5 years are up
Sounds like a good move, especially if you plan to hold the 1.3% bonds for the long term. I've thought about doing the same but I am a bit obsessed with maxing out Roth conversions both this year and next. Just don't want the extra interest income from an I-bond sale to cut into what I can Roth convert and still stay within the 12% bracket. That bracket may or may not be going away after 2025.

Also, the I-bonds that I bought in 2021 and 2022 (primarily for the high variable rate) are my second tier of money to spend from for living expenses, so they'll likely be redeemed in early 2026 anyway.

No great insight here as I am really just writing this out to clarify my own thinking.

We'll know after tomorrow's (4/10) inflation announcement for March what the new variable rate will be from 5/1/24 to 10/31/24.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

The new variable rate on I-bonds issued 5/1/24 to 10/31/24 is 2.96%. Article by David Enna is here:

https://tipswatch.com/2024/04/10/march- ... e-at-2-96/

He is also forecasting a fixed rate of 1.2% or 1.3%. So a 4.26% composite rate more or less.