Bank Bonuses

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bank Bonuses

Post by Don » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:26 am

Big yawn until they start giving out Sony Trinitons again.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm

Don wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:26 am
I must be older than you are. Until inflation set in during the late 1960s, I recall that toasters and coffee pots were the "free" bank giveaway of choice.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:32 pm

jhogue wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Don wrote:
I must be older than you are. Until inflation set in during the late 1960s, I recall that toasters and coffee pots were the "free" bank giveaway of choice.
My folks got a Sony Trinitron TV from Crossland Savings Bank. It was very heavy!
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:13 pm

Don wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:32 pm
jhogue wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:56 pm
Don wrote:
My folks got a Sony Trinitron TV from Crossland Savings Bank. It was very heavy!
How big of a deposit did they have to make?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:08 am

It was forever ago and I was a kid. Don't remember.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:18 pm

Don wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:08 am

It was forever ago and I was a kid. Don't remember.

Could it be like one of those kid memories when we remembered snow falls were so much bigger than they are today because they were so high compared to our relative diminutive heights back then?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Haha! We watched that Sony Trinitron for many, many good years.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:40 pm

jhogue wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:22 pm
Bitcoin is speculation, pure and simple. If you want to put it in the VP with money you can afford to lose, go right ahead. But right now, the cryptocurrencies remind me of tech companies before 2000 or railroads after the Civil War: a few of them survived, but even they are in substantially different forms. No one knows for sure which ones will be winners and which will be losers.

I bonds, on the other hand are Treasury-issued debt, with much better tax treatment than Warren Buffett can get with his $100 billion+ stash of Treasurys. Like their New Deal cousin, Social Security, savings bonds (in different series) were around more than 30 years ago, and I would bet that they will be around 30 years from now.

Besides, Superman endorsed savings bonds as part of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.
(See the fun episode on youtube)
Cryptocurrencies are looking more speculative than even I had imagined. Would you want to park your hard-earned Cash with Scam Bankster-Fraudman in an account in the Bahamas?
“Groucho Marx wrote:
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:25 pm

jhogue wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:40 pm

jhogue wrote:

Bitcoin is speculation, pure and simple. If you want to put it in the VP with money you can afford to lose, go right ahead. But right now, the cryptocurrencies remind me of tech companies before 2000 or railroads after the Civil War: a few of them survived, but even they are in substantially different forms. No one knows for sure which ones will be winners and which will be losers.

I bonds, on the other hand are Treasury-issued debt, with much better tax treatment than Warren Buffett can get with his $100 billion+ stash of Treasurys. Like their New Deal cousin, Social Security, savings bonds (in different series) were around more than 30 years ago, and I would bet that they will be around 30 years from now.

Besides, Superman endorsed savings bonds as part of Truth, Justice, and the American Way.

Cryptocurrencies are looking more speculative than even I had imagined. Would you want to park your hard-earned Cash with Scam Bankster-Fraudman in an account in the Bahamas?

I still have not finished to listening to Lex Fridman's interview with him but when I listen to someone like Saylor and all the arguments Saylor provides ... it keeps me going back and forth ....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_J._Saylor
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:13 pm

Banging the drum again...crypto is a speculation. It is neither a currency nor an asset (asset class). It has all the negatives of gold with none of its positives.
Hal
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Hal » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:05 pm

jhogue wrote:
jhogue wrote:
Bitcoin is speculation, pure and simple. If you want to put it in the VP with money you can afford to lose, go right ahead.
<snip>
Classic! Happy I found this thread :D
How could you possibly buy Crypto after watching this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxe0CCsH5M
Aussie GoldSmithPP - 25% PMGOLD, 75% VDCO
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:13 pm

Hal wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:05 pm

jhogue wrote:

jhogue wrote:

Bitcoin is speculation, pure and simple. If you want to put it in the VP with money you can afford to lose, go right ahead.
<snip>

Classic! Happy I found this thread :D
How could you possibly buy Crypto after watching this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVxe0CCsH5M

Superman!!!!

“Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!”.

"It's a bird! It's a plane! It's Superman!"