Bank Bonuses

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bank Bonuses

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:06 am

Personally I take advantage of local bank deals which are pretty good and I can deal with larger amounts of cash in one shot .

We just did the Citibank deal for the third time …..we got 1500 each time for opening accounts for myself and my wife .

You can do it every 6 months .but that is from when you close the last accounts .

We each get 700 for 50k in each of our names and I get a 100 as a referral fee for her account so 1500 bucks and we repeat every6 months from closing the accounts . You only have to give them the money for a few months.

The 10k would be more an inconvenience opening the accounts with treasury direct and moving money and would be peeing in the ocean for us so I look for bigger deals with more money all the time.

While we were waiting to be eligibile with citi again we did a deal for 400 for a few months with td bank .

I only do ones that require no direct deposits
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bank Bonuses

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:45 am

M&T bank has a great deal but it is not national so you need to check your state …we don’t have it in NY

M&T Bank - This one is not nationwide so check the eligibility footprint but you can get $350 for maintaining an average monthly balance of $10,000 for February and March.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:06 am

Some spend their lives clipping coupons too or reusing tea bags so everything is relative
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:24 am

There are a lot of good bank deals out there but the deal breaker is direct deposit …I am not shifting our social security or pension around for just a few months .

But if people don’t mind doing it there are deals worth hundreds of dollars around .

Citi bank is great because they don’t require direct deposit on citi priority accounts …..
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: I Bonds vs Bank Bonuses

Post by jhogue » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:23 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:24 am
There are a lot of good bank deals out there but the deal breaker is direct deposit …I am not shifting our social security or pension around for just a few months .

But if people don’t mind doing it there are deals worth hundreds of dollars around .

Citi bank is great because they don’t require direct deposit on citi priority accounts …..
Anyone thinking of opening an account with Citibank for their “bonus” needs to read the litany of complaints about the ill treatment of investors by that gang of pirates. Not only are they “a pain in the rear to deal with,” according to one investor, they will also hit you up with a $75 "transfer fee" when you wise up and get your money back!

U.S. savings bonds have never charged a fee or commission for purchase or sale.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/search ... sf=msgonly
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:36 pm

I just looked at that link , that is a discussion on having a citi wealth mgmt account not a plain citi priority checking and savings account …not the same thing .

I would never have a wealth management account with a bank …why do that ? All banks hammer you with fees ….

The city priority account has nothing to do with their wealth mgmt program …it is a simple checking and savings account .

this is our third go around with citi bank on the same bonus …

First off the account is never used if you are doing it for the money … the money goes in and then it comes out end of story.

We have never ever had a transfer fee to get our money.

Here are the citi priority account charges

https://online.citi.com/JRS/popups/PT_C ... count_.pdf