Moderator: Global Moderator

jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Negative 1 and 3 Month Treasury Rates

Post by jalanlong » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:32 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:56 am
Fund families are keeping the money markets positive by waiving expenses ....you may be better off in them then say something like bil
I noticed that my cash ETF GBILL hasn’t paid interest all year since the .09% expense ratio outweighs treasury bill returns at the moment. SHV hasn’t paid anything out this year either.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:49 pm

My fdlxx has been paying under a buck on 6 figures in cash .

But at least the fund families seem to be waiving the expenses while etfs are not
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:03 pm

The HBPP prescribes a Treasury money market fund for safety and liquidity, not yield. Chasing yield in cash is not necessary and can potentially lead to problems with safety and liquidity at the moment that you can least afford it.

BTW, the nominal yield of a 1 year Treasury zero stands at -0.01% today. Real yields of STTs have been negative for some time now. I note, in passing, that low Treasury yields have not stopped Warrant Buffet from piling up his stash of Treasurys estimated at more than $100 billion. He does not hold high-yield bonds, muni bonds, bank-sponsored repos, or currency swaps. Do you wonder why that is?
Last edited by jhogue on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:04 pm

They both are treasuries only one is loosing money in the etf as no expenses seem to be waived