Best current options for cash and STT's?

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Best current options for cash and STT's?

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:09 am

sophie wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:10 pm
You probably got lucky, pp4me. I have tried to sell bills/bonds several times. In one case I ran into a problem where I had bought a lot in an amount less than $10K, but the software insisted I needed to sell an amount of at least $10K. A few months later I was finally (after multiple attempts) able to sell it. In another case, I kept getting a message that the bond market was closed (even though it wasn't at the time).

Vinny, since I'm not in charge of Fidelity's customer service I can't tell you why phone calls take hours. Perhaps you should call them and ask.
I haven't had this type of experience at all. Last year I had some T-Bills on auto-roll and needed to sell part of the position. I logged on to fidelity.com, placed the order, and was warned that the sale would automatically cancel the auto-roll. The transaction was completed immediately, the auto-roll was canceled, and I transferred the funds to my bank two days later. However, the amount of the sale was greater than $10k. I don't recall seeing anything saying that there was a minimum transaction size but it's possible that there was and I dismissed it.
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 am

Investors in online Ally bank CDs ( 5 year CD currently 1.00%) should take note of a thread over on bogleheads:

Ally has apparently ended its online early withdrawal option. Holders of CDs who want an early redemption must now call the bank and speak in person to a customer service rep. There are also complaints that the bank has effectively granted itself a float of investors’ cash by taking 1-2 business days to deliver proceeds of redeemed CDs to an checking accounts.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 0&t=328172
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:50 am

jhogue wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:47 am
Investors in online Ally bank CDs ( 5 year CD currently 1.00%) should take note of a thread over on bogleheads:

Ally has apparently ended its online early withdrawal option. Holders of CDs who want an early redemption must now call the bank and speak in person to a customer service rep. There are also complaints that the bank has effectively granted itself a float of investors’ cash by taking 1-2 business days to deliver proceeds of redeemed CDs to an checking accounts.

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewto ... 0&t=328172
I saw this on another blog. This permanently disqualifies Ally for me as an option going forward. Super shady.
Don

Post by Don » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 pm

Rates seem to be rising suddenly. What are our options now?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:06 am

Assuming we assume we can predict, buy very short term instruments.