New I Bond Rate 11/1/17 - 4/30/18

Discussion of the Cash portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

jhogue

Re: New I Bond Rate 11/1/17 - 4/30/18

Postby jhogue » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:07 pm

I bonds and EE bonds have always been free from state and local income taxes. There is no cap.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby whatchamacallit » Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:28 pm

jhogue wrote:I bonds and EE bonds have always been free from state and local income taxes. There is no cap.

Sorry to be getting a little off topic of the I bonds but the 529 Plan Income Tax deduction is tax saved on the contribution amount. The I bonds and EE bonds do not give you a tax deduction for buying them. They both give you tax free gains as long as you use it all for education.

It depends on the state but I see you could really get some nice tax deductions if you know the money will be used for college. I can't currently know that myself so I will stick with I bonds and EE bonds for now.
PP67
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby PP67 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:30 pm

"If you have the bond in your own name and not your kid's, then if you spend the money on their higher education, the interest is tax-free. (There are income limitations on this, unfortunately, and of course the act of cashing out the bonds makes it harder to stay under the limit.)"

Would this tax-free status apply if you were to spend it on your grandkid's education?
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Xan » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:45 pm

PP67 wrote:"If you have the bond in your own name and not your kid's, then if you spend the money on their higher education, the interest is tax-free. (There are income limitations on this, unfortunately, and of course the act of cashing out the bonds makes it harder to stay under the limit.)"

Would this tax-free status apply if you were to spend it on your grandkid's education?

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/pl ... cation.htm

My reading is that it has to be for a dependent for whom you claim a tax exemption.
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby pugchief » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:48 pm

Xan wrote:
PP67 wrote:"If you have the bond in your own name and not your kid's, then if you spend the money on their higher education, the interest is tax-free. (There are income limitations on this, unfortunately, and of course the act of cashing out the bonds makes it harder to stay under the limit.)"

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/pl ... cation.htm

My reading is that it has to be for a dependent for whom you claim a tax exemption.

Well that is certainly not the case for 529 plans. I opened one for my infant granddaughter [ugh, I feel sooo old] and took the state tax deduction myself. She is the beneficiary of the account, so it can be used for her college expenses, tax free, at any school. Including room, board, and certain expenses.
jhogue

Postby jhogue » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:58 pm

Hmmm…

Here might be one way to maximize the advantages of I bonds AND 529 plans while minimizing their respective disadvantages:

Buy annual allotments of I bonds in your name from now until the child goes to college. In the same year that the child actually begins college, open a 529 plan, then immediately sell I bonds, take the state tax deduction, and roll the proceeds into the 529 plan. Repeat each year until the child graduates -- or you run out of I bonds.

-You keep control of your invested I bonds in your name as they grow
-You preserve the tax free status of your I bonds
-You don’t fund the 529 until your child is ready to use it
-You get the state tax deduction (to which pugchief referred- Yay Grandpa Pug!)
-You don’t overfund the 529 while the child is in college
-You keep any unneeded I bonds in a tax deferred status for your own future needs

I think this method would work, but I am neither a tax attorney nor a financial aid officer. I have always believed in the simplicity of do-it-yourself investment—like most members of this forum—but taxes and financial aid, as I suggested earlier in this thread, are both complicated and individualized. On top of everything else, don’t forget that current events demonstrate that predicting what the tax code will be in 20 years is as difficult as predicting what stock market returns will be in 20 years.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Postby ochotona » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:59 pm

2017 Form 8888 still has paper I-bonds choice. I think I'm going to drop an extra $5000 to the IRS by 1/16/18 in order to assured to be able to get my full share.
jhogue

Postby jhogue » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:04 pm

Yup.

There have been rumors for years that the Treasury Department is going to drop paper I bonds through IRS tax returns. I think political pressure from Congress has prevented abandoning a popular program. For details, see:

GAO Report on the Future of Paper US savings bonds:
http://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-15-563

Also note that you can file an extra payment to fund your I bonds purchase with a regular tax filing extension. It is simple to do with Turbotax, which I have used for the past 3 years.
“Groucho Marx wrote:

Return to “Cash”