Treasury Direct Question

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jeffreyalan

Treasury Direct Question

Post by Jeffreyalan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:09 pm

Does anyone here use Treasury Direct enough to be able to answer a question for me? I have a $100 savings bond there which I have had for maybe 5 months or so. It has earned a tiny bit of interest. But what is frustrating (and perhaps I do not understand the website correctly) is that whenever I login it tells me that my "current securities total is $100." And if I go to the Current Holdings page, it also says "your current total holdings amount is $100." I have to scroll to the savings bond section to see where the bond is $100 but has a current value of $100.32.

Shouldn't the interest that has accumulated on the savings bonds be included in any "current totals" figures? If someday I have $10,000 worth of savings bonds there that have accumulated $4,000 in interest over time, I would want my current holdings to say $14,000...principal and interest. Not just the original amount of $10,000 face value of the bonds. If I am going to balance my portfolios correctly I would want to know the full amount I have.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Treasury Direct Question

Post by whatchamacallit » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm

I believe your current holdings accounts for penalties if you withdrew today. I think it will start showing increased amount after year 1.

First page definitely does only show face value without any interest though. That will not change over years.
Jeffreyalan

Re: Treasury Direct Question

Post by Jeffreyalan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:43 pm

it sounds like an insignificant thing, but I like to be able to login to any account I have and see the current value. Having to search for it or even calculate it myself sounds crazy! Thanks for your assistance!