Bond Ladders

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Bond Ladders

Post by Kbg » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

I don’t see this discussed a lot on the board and it is a remarkably effective way to deal with rising interest rates. If one fishes around on the page there is a good description of what happens to bonds as they go through their maturity cycle. You should understand it. Of particular note check out the 1965-80 stats.

https://www.crestmontresearch.com/docs/ ... adders.pdf
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Bond Ladders

Post by ochotona » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:11 am

Excellent content, it reminds us not to freak out... if the duration is centered around 10 years, pretty much not to worry. And it is if you have cash (0 duration) and 20 year Treasuries.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:20 pm

Kbg wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am
I don’t see this discussed a lot on the board and it is a remarkably effective way to deal with rising interest rates. If one fishes around on the page there is a good description of what happens to bonds as they go through their maturity cycle. You should understand it. Of particular note check out the 1965-80 stats.

https://www.crestmontresearch.com/docs/ ... adders.pdf
I was going to ask if you could provide an update but I was pleased to see that when I clicked on the link the PDF had been updated all the way through 2019.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:12 pm

Studying the pink and green is very worthwhile...