Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Flat yield curve and switching to intermediate Treasuries

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:31 pm

ochotona wrote:Play the hippity hop game, or wait in cash. Not very clear
If you choose to lower your equity holdings then I think you are asking your long-term treasuries to play a less significant role.
I would personally switch to IT-treasuries if I reduced stock investments.
Can't consider this options as I have significant equities and still hold onto the belief there is no better diversifier than long-term treasuries when stocks fall.
Might play out differently this time so I have a ton of cash too.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 pm

buddtholomew wrote:We do have 20 trillion in debt, but who cares since we can print even more.
I think I read recently that our debt is now 6% larger than our GDP. We are about #12 on the list of largest debtors when you measure by debt-to-GDP Who's at the top? Greece? It's Japan.
RIP Marcello Gandini
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:54 pm

I'm finding as I sell stocks every month to religiously keep below my equity target, I am buying individual bonds from quality issuers which mature in a few months, and it's making me feel less stressed. I got some 6 month corporates for almost 2%. What's the odds Banque Nationale de Paris is going to default in the next 6 months? It feels almost like cash.

I think I'll do some really short Treasury laddering, too. I just want to kick the can forward a few months at a time until interest rates reach some kind of a localized maximum.