Still trying to understand LTT

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

thisisallen

Still trying to understand LTT

Post by thisisallen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:34 am

The first thing that one learns about bonds is that there is an inverse correlation between yield and price. And that the longer duration of the bond the greater the change in the price as the yield fluctuates.
So how come yesterday my 30 yr Treasuries went down in both price and yield. (BTW TLT went up)
And the day before the yield and price both went up.
Confused!
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Still trying to understand LTT

Post by whatchamacallit » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:16 pm

Which brokerage are they with? Mine are up in value in Vanguard.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:22 pm

thisisallen wrote: So how come yesterday my 30 yr Treasuries went down in both price and yield. (BTW TLT went up)
And the day before the yield and price both went up.
Confused!
So, here's what the deal is most likely... 30-year treasuries were down on Thursday and up on Friday. I have my individual LTTs with Fidelity and they don't update until about 1:00AM, or roughly nine hours after the bond market has closed. If I look at my account in the first few hours after trading stops for the day on Friday (say, up until 9:00PM or so), I am still seeing Thursday's losses. Between roughly 9:00PM and 1:00AM, they show neither a gain or a loss. Then after 1:00AM on Saturday, you'll see the correct gain for Friday. Don't know why it is so slow to update. As I say, I'm with Fidelity but this could be the case elsewhere as well. Hope this does not add to the confusion!
thisisallen

Post by thisisallen » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:02 pm

Exactly. Correct. Never knew that about Fidelity. Just checked the account again and the bonds from Friday are up.
"All's well that ends well"
Many thanks