Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Swap Spread Negative

Post by Jack Jones »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... se-anymore

I couldn't really make much sense of this.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Swap Spread Negative

Post by buddtholomew »

It tells me that treasuries are becoming more risky than corporates of the same duration.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

This sounds like the very defintion of Tight Money which is why I've been raising cash.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

MachineGhost wrote: This sounds like the very defintion of Tight Money which is why I've been raising cash.
Raising cash? Any idea how much of your portfolio is in cash right now percentage-wise?
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Greg wrote: Raising cash? Any idea how much of your portfolio is in cash right now percentage-wise?
About 63%, up about 13%.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

up 13% from where? 50%?

(50 + 13 = 63)
Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Yep!

Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Wow. that's a lot of dry powder as Craig would put it. You are quite the pessimist hah. :)

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

Greg wrote: Wow. that's a lot of dry powder as Craig would put it. You are quite the pessimist hah. :)
More like I couldn't find any value!  Stocks -- nope.  Bonds -- risky.  Gold -- downtrend.  At least I nibbled.

I do think we're going to look back at this losing year as "Tight Money"...  even if its more psychological than fact.  But since when did facts ever move the market???

iwealth
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by iwealth »

MachineGhost wrote:
Greg wrote: Wow. that's a lot of dry powder as Craig would put it. You are quite the pessimist hah. :)
More like I couldn't find any value!  Stocks -- nope.  Bonds -- risky.  Gold -- downtrend.  At least I nibbled.

I do think we're going to look back at this losing year as "Tight Money"...  even if its more psychological than fact.  But since when did facts ever move the market???
There's probably value in the energy sector if you were feeling crazy brave.