Japanese Sovereign Debt Yield Turns Negative

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Japanese Sovereign Debt Yield Turns Negative

Post by MachineGhost »

Oh boy, what would this mean for the PP?

The yield on some Japanese sovereign debt turned negative Friday for the first time ever, the latest indication of the impact on the bond market of the Bank of Japan's aggressive easing measures.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2014/11/ ... -negative/
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Japanese Sovereign Debt Yield Turns Negative

Post by Kbg »

Wow...we are in interesting waters. I'd say when your country is devaluing your currency like crazy you have no choice but to go elsewhere. Either switch your cash to a foreign currency or gold. I checked Yen/Gold and it is actually ~up 8% in Yen. 128Kish in Jan 138Kish now.
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Possibly buy DXJ which is long Japanese stocks and short Yen?
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett »

The Nikkei is up over 7% this year and gold is up 10% or so YTD when converted to Yen. If you figure nothing on cash or bonds, then a Japanese PP is still handily beating inflation/deflation in Japan this year. What it means going forward, I have no idea. In such a long-term deflationary environment, holding 50% in cash is one possible PP tweak.

BTW, does anyone know if Harry Browne (or others) ever addressed a long deflationary slump and the PP? Holding long bonds for the full 30 years is a possible tactic, but it only works in hindsight.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

I think this might be a rare case where some hesitancy with respect to rebalancing into long term government bonds could be justified. Reub's idea is not bad. Or one could just put the money that would normally go into LTTs into VT or a global government bond fund (something like BNDX?).
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

This is embarassing to ask, as someone who loves all this sovereign debt/money business, but how the hell do yields actually go negative?  It isn't actually that there is no coupon payment, correct?

Is it people paying such a premium on existing bonds that the implicit yield on them is negative?

I just don't get how this actually mechanicaly happens.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

After you buy the bond, jackbooted thugs show up at your house and take your money! ;)
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Pointedstick wrote: After you buy the bond, jackbooted thugs show up at your house and take your money! ;)
Bahaha. 

I knew I'd have to suffer through a few of these kinds of answers, but not from you, PS... Not from you.

:-\
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

I like to keep you on your toes. :)

But I'm curious too. I wonder if you have to buy it electronically and they debit your account or something? I know German bonds have traded at negative yields recently. Any EU folks around who can fill in some of the details?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 »

Well I doubt they actually get ISSUED at negative yields, but I guess I could imagine that in the ebbs and flows of daily pricing, at times, people are willing to pay such a premium that their return of principal + coupon payment is negative, and hence de facto negative yields.

- Thomas Paine
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

moda0306 wrote: This is embarassing to ask, as someone who loves all this sovereign debt/money business, but how the hell do yields actually go negative?  It isn't actually that there is no coupon payment, correct?

Is it people paying such a premium on existing bonds that the implicit yield on them is negative?

I just don't get how this actually mechanicaly happens.
That is exactly what happens. You buy the bond and they charge you interest for lending them the money. Or think of it as the safe deposit system for the very wealthy. The negative yield is the fee paid for storing your money.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.
Lang

Post by Lang »

I don't think any bonds are issued at negative (nominal) yields. Germany issued some 2 year bonds a few weeks ago and since the demand was high, interest was set at 0.00%. The buyers were not retail or institutional investors, but mostly banks. If you later buy the bond in the market at a price above par, then you will technically get a negative interest rate through capital losses.

Negative nominal yields are not really a new phenomenon. When Switzerland was fighting to peg its currency to the Euro, the yield curve turned negative all the way up to 5 year bonds. At one point, yields on 2 year Swiss government bonds were as low as -0.4%.

You can also find yourself earning a negative nominal yield if you bought an inflation-indexed bond with no built-in floor for its face value. In this case, deflation can erode some of the principal.