Re: The Bond Dream Room

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:01 am

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member
Location: https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbL ... sWebb.html

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm

Well at least bonds are holding. I am finding gold's response the past two days a bit strange.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:06 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm
Well at least bonds are holding. I am finding gold's response the past two days a bit strange.
Have you two met? O0

(You and gold, I mean)
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
Don
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Don » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:37 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:55 pm
It's almost as if someone was manipulating the markets and sold their gold position today, right before stocks late day rally. Soros?
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:10 pm

The volume of market activity is too high for that kind of manipulation. I it were attempted it would have to be on a scale that could not be camouflaged.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:08 am

Wow did that escalate quickly. Look at the yield curve now after the cut: https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftgw/fi/FILanding

1.03% on the 3 month. .77% on the 2 year. 1.04% on the 10 year. 1.64% on the 30 year. So crazy. At least they uninvited the 90/10 and 2/10 that are most widely followed. But still some pretty extreme inversions on the short to medium range.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:43 pm

The 10 yr T bond has broken below 1%. I said it before and I stand by it. The bond market no longer inhabits the same plane of reality that I am living in.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 pm

Where I'm at there is a CU offering a 2.25 15 year loan...put in my loan application last night. This cuts a 1.25 off my current 30 yr. What's crazy is I read something this morning saying they could go lower!
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:59 pm

11 pm EST and the 10YT yield is .81%. No, that's not a typo.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:40 am

This doesn't seem right? TLT up over 5% this morning?

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 am

Wow, just WTF is up with bonds today??? I'm rebalancing a couple percent of bonds back into stocks today. This is beyond nuts.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am

pmward wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:04 am
I'm rebalancing a couple percent of bonds back into stocks today.
Did you hit a band, or are you just taking advantage of the recent swings? As of yesterday, my LTT's are still only at 28%.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am

drumminj wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am
pmward wrote:
Did you hit a band, or are you just taking advantage of the recent swings? As of yesterday, my LTT's are still only at 28%.
I generally go more by feel for rebalancing, I'm ~2.5% over allocation on bonds (maybe more after prices are updated on my LTT's this evening), and about equally under on stocks. I'm really tempted to rebalance, because in my trading days anytime I had a ridiculous up day like this and held on to a trade I regretted it. At the same time though, I do believe we have another down leg coming in stocks... and I do think there is a possibility of a 30% correction, which would place us right around those December 2018 lows... and I would love to back the truck up on a big rebalance there. So maybe I should let my winners run and sit on my hands a bit, even though doing so has always bitten me in the past? I'm torn. My initial gut feeling says to rebalance now, but my second thought says to be patient.
drumminj
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by drumminj » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:00 am

pmward wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am
My initial gut feeling says to rebalance now, but my second thought says to be patient.
I have similar urges to try to capture gains with the swings, but then I remember that's not what this allocation is about. As long as the general trend is up and to the right with reduced risk/low draw-downs, it's doing exactly what I want it to.

Sure, I could potentially time the market to capture more gains on each asset as they move up and down, but that's not why I picked this asset allocation.

I'm with you though -- I feel the urge to rebalance a bit out of gold and LTT's given their runs. One thought I had was to donate them to a DAF instead. In a way it's like "locking in" those gains O0
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:01 am

pmward wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 am
drumminj wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:07 am
pmward wrote:
I generally go more by feel for rebalancing, I'm ~2.5% over allocation on bonds (maybe more after prices are updated on my LTT's this evening), and about equally under on stocks. I'm really tempted to rebalance, because in my trading days anytime I had a ridiculous up day like this and held on to a trade I regretted it. At the same time though, I do believe we have another down leg coming in stocks... and I do think there is a possibility of a 30% correction, which would place us right around those December 2018 lows... and I would love to back the truck up on a big rebalance there. So maybe I should let my winners run and sit on my hands a bit, even though doing so has always bitten me in the past? I'm torn. My initial gut feeling says to rebalance now, but my second thought says to be patient.
I sense a lot of prognosticating and emotions on rebalancing here. I am still FAR away from all bands (closest is bonds, at 28.9% on a 15-35% band range), and it would be be wrong to rebalance early. I will stick to my once a year plan, or when bands are hit.

My opinion, but I totally understand it. Feels like you are leaving easy money on the table. Which is why I don't do it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:14 am

Ugh, I'm going to sit on my hands a bit. With some patience, I can rebalance hopefully around stocks at those 2018 lows. I already put a lot of money into stocks last Friday with a large contribution, and while I'm still up on that money a bit, it's close to going negative... so I'm going to give the winners (long bonds and gold) a bit more room to run. Panic could still get much worse over the coming weeks. But man, this feels like blowoff top territory to me in the bond market...
jhogue
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jhogue » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:25 am

I do better with my 35/15 rebalance bands than I do with my feelings about the bond market today.
“Groucho Marx wrote:
A stock trader asked him, "Groucho, where do you put all your money?" Groucho was said to have replied, "In Treasury bonds", and the trader said, "You can't make much money on those." Groucho said, "You can if you have enough of them!"
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Yeah I didn't trigger the rebalance. So when bonds break down next week you all can blame me, haha. Side note, I am glad it is the weekend now and there are no market happenings to think about for a couple days.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:14 pm

pmward wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:13 pm
Side note, I am glad it is the weekend now
Uh oh, I think I hear Vinny coughing.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:58 am

Cortopassi wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:01 am
I sense a lot of prognosticating and emotions on rebalancing here. I am still FAR away from all bands (closest is bonds, at 28.9% on a 15-35% band range), and it would be be wrong to rebalance early. I will stick to my once a year plan, or when bands are hit.

My opinion, but I totally understand it. Feels like you are leaving easy money on the table. Which is why I don't do it.
+100!!

I "checked" my portfolio using ETF returns for the appropriate assets dating from my last rebalance in early January. Much easier than totalling everything up across the sprawl of accounts & investments. I'm not even close to crossing a band, so I'm sitting tight. I did some simulations a few years back, and the "momentum" effect of allowing investments doing well to continue to go up is a very important part of the mix. It may be hard to do, but you need to keep your feelings/instincts out of it.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:30 pm

Looking at futures, I'm very glad you all nudged me off the ledge on doing the rebalance on Friday ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:34 am

I don't have enough bonds and that's bad, but my "worst" one is only up 21%. I bought it last month! (Feb 5th). Due 2050, when we'll all be looking at bond prices on the windshields of our flying cars.
Best one is currently up 63%!
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm

The large quantity of 30 year treasuries I purchased at auction last Feb... yes only 1 year and a couple weeks ago... up 50%+. When do stocks ever return like that in 1 year?
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm

pmward wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm
The large quantity of 30 year treasuries I purchased at auction last Feb... yes only 1 year and a couple weeks ago... up 50%+. When do stocks ever return like that in 1 year?
Another auction buyer! Everyone always asks me why I use an auction and not the secondary market. I don't have a satisfying answer that I can provide.
Do you?

No pressure, but keep in mind that *your answer* could become row 8310 on Vinny's note spreadsheet.

P.S. Just a normal day- EDV is up $15 - Nothing to see here.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:04 pm

dualstow wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:54 pm
pmward wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:13 pm
Another auction buyer! Everyone always asks me why I use an auction and not the secondary market. I don't have a satisfying answer that I can provide.
Do you?

No pressure, but keep in mind that *your answer* could become row 8310 on Vinny's note spreadsheet.

P.S. Just a normal day- EDV is up $15 - Nothing to see here.
I think I just like the auction. It's kind of fun to put my funds in and wait to see what my winnings are, haha. Fidelity has a really good bond platform. Maybe some day I'll do some secondary purchases. For now though, auction has been working well for me both with my long term and short term holdings.