The Bond Dream Room

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Bond Dream Room

Post by pmward » Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 am

We are like .5% away in TLT from setting a higher high. Combined with the higher low we set in the pullback over the last couple of months, that would officially be a confirmed new up trend. Who would have thought a year ago when they were raising rates like crazy that we would be potentially entering a new official uptrend in long treasuries now?
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog » Wed May 15, 2019 3:39 pm

pmward wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:13 am
Who would have thought a year ago when they were raising rates like crazy that we would be potentially entering a new official uptrend in long treasuries now?
I think there are many members of this forum who didn't (and still don't) believe "there's nowhere for rates to go but up!"TM I'm happy that I got to add to my STTs at about 2.5%, but my expectation is that they will return to near-zero soon. But I'm happy to be a PP investor and not make predictions.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am

Very interesting to watch it all play out!
I have no regrets jettisoning my "bad" long-term bonds, but I feel comfortable leaving the rest alone.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:53 am

I now have a little regret. Even the worst of my bonds would probably have a 5% gain by now. At least I put the proceeds into cash and not gold.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Yeah, TLT hit the highest level to day since Oct 2016. Only 6% away from all time highs.
Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm

The yield on the 10 yr T Note is now more or less the same as the yield on the S&P 500. If I were speculating, I'd be looking at dividend paying stocks as a better long term bet than bonds. Maybe VIG.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:41 am

Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm
The yield on the 10 yr T Note is now more or less the same as the yield on the S&P 500. If I were speculating, I'd be looking at dividend paying stocks as a better long term bet than bonds. Maybe VIG.
I have some hesitations on dividend stocks as well. Look at the P/E ratios. They are historically high. They are no longer "value" stocks. There is more risk there than in the past. One needs to keep this in mind. They are getting paid to take risk.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 pm

Hmm. I’ve been holding dividend-raising stocks since forever, and while I don’t consider that to be speculation, I have to acknowledge all the news reports of people piling into these stocks for yield, setting them up for a big fall. Maybe it’s time to trim, but I have held them through other crashes.

It’s good to get paid while you wait.
pmward wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:41 am
Ad Orientem wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:17 pm
I have some hesitations on dividend stocks as well. Look at the P/E ratios. They are historically high. They are no longer "value" stocks. There is more risk there than in the past. One needs to keep this in mind. They are getting paid to take risk.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:26 am

dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 pm
Hmm. I’ve been holding dividend-raising stocks since forever, and while I don’t consider that to be speculation, I have to acknowledge all the news reports of people piling into these stocks for yield, setting them up for a big fall. Maybe it’s time to trim, but I have held them through other crashes.

I personally wouldn't worry about it if I had already purchased them long ago and had a large profit. I mean, they may be close to paying for themselves by now. However, I wouldn't personally throw fresh cash into these at the moment. Dividend stocks and large cap tech are the two sub-types of stocks that have accounted for most of the gains since 2008. Every time the cycle turns the bear market does hit the winners of the past bull harder than the rest, and the last bull winners rarely are the new bull winners. Just some food for thought.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm

Is there really a difference between buying fresh and holding? (I'm assuming transaction fees are negligible.)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:38 pm

Oh yeah, they are up an average of 135% not including the dividend payments. No match for the S&P I’m sure, but the dividends are serving their purpose.
pmward wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:26 am
dualstow wrote:
Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:51 pm

I personally wouldn't worry about it if I had already purchased them long ago and had a large profit. I mean, they may be close to paying for themselves by now. However, I wouldn't personally throw fresh cash into these at the moment. Dividend stocks and large cap tech are the two sub-types of stocks that have accounted for most of the gains since 2008. Every time the cycle turns the bear market does hit the winners of the past bull harder than the rest, and the last bull winners rarely are the new bull winners. Just some food for thought.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:44 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm
Is there really a difference between buying fresh and holding? (I'm assuming transaction fees are negligible.)
The transaction fees are free these days, or $2 if I trade too much, which I don’t. Back when I started, though, they were a bit pricey. Just a few trades a year back then.

As for the first question, which I guess is a response to pmward, I think it’s largely psychological/“mental accounting.”
What is different, though, is the tax bill. To hold on means no taxes (even on the dividends). To sell would be expensive, although I do get rid of one now and then, tax bill be damned. If the dividend stalls, I consider selling, and if the dividend is cut, I always sell.

Though these are in the vp, I pay attention to the stock/bond ratio there, too.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:56 am

Xan wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:07 pm
In a dividend ETF yes, simply because it will eventually pay for itself. I mean if you're holding shares that have paid out 80% of their purchase value, not including massive capitol gains over the last decade, who cares if they drop 50 or 60%? Especially since they will keep paying their dividend. One could definitely sell and route the capital to something with more upside / less downside, but generally speaking the people that purchase dividend ETF's tend to do so for a specific reason (the dividend), so I think that selling would not be necessary especially since bond yields are so weak right now (and probably going lower). Fixed income is turning into fixed expense. So there isn't a lot of other options for people that want income right now.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:12 pm

And TLT is now less than $1 from it's all-time high. My did that escalate quickly!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm

TLT is kinda nuts. I have a tight trailing stop alarm, I might sell some and try to re-buy it lower... just for fun
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:09 pm

ochotona wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm
TLT is kinda nuts. I have a tight trailing stop alarm, I might sell some and try to re-buy it lower... just for fun
Yeah, this is strange, to have gold and bonds skyrocketing like this, and stocks surprisingly holding up. Part of me says something has to give, one of these has to pullback. Stocks are starting to get volatile so I'm thinking it's going to be them. But man, who knows. All markets are simply nuts right now. Sense left the building long ago.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:51 pm

My portfolio is up 0.36% today. On a bad stock day like today, I'm not complaining, but I wonder where it goes from here...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:05 pm

It’s timely that Medium Tex came by.
I can’t remember what year it was, but I was in a hotel watching massive fires in Birmingham (UK) on TV, and gold and bonds were way up. Regarding the low long bond yields, Medium Tex said “this is when a game of tennis becomes a game of ping pong.”
Well, it feels like ping pong time again.
RIP Marcello Gandini
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:21 pm

And we officially have the 2nd highest closing ever for TLT. On Jul 8 2016 we closed at 143.60, and that is the only date with a higher close. And it is up after hours. Insanity.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 pm

In the spirit of Libertarian666, I'd like to take credit for this boom in bonds, as I sold a few immediately prior to the huge jumps recently. That is all, you're welcome.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Thanks Kriegs!
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:53 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:37 pm
In the spirit of Libertarian666, I'd like to take credit for this boom in bonds, as I sold a few immediately prior to the huge jumps recently. That is all, you're welcome.
Might turn out to be a prescient decision.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 am

Looks like we could be in for another pp-friendly day.

https://imgur.com/a/BMouofa

I snapped the pic linked above a couple of days ago but was unable to upload it from my tablet.

{Edited for grammar}
Last edited by dualstow on Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
RIP Marcello Gandini
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am

Fun perspective.

Record set on 30 year us bonds:

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/05/busi ... bonds.html
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:30 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am
Fun perspective.

Record set on 30 year us bonds:

https://www.nytimes.com/1982/02/05/busi ... bonds.html
Ding ding, all time highs. So much for all those people that were convinced the bond bull was dead and that yields had nowhere to go but up.