What is fair Value for TLT?

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

What is fair Value for TLT?

Post by modeljc »

Using July 1st each year starting in 2002, TLT was 82, 92, 84.59, 93.11, 85.80, 87.66, and 91.67 ending July 1st 2008.  So If you take a simple average for seven years you get $88.11.  The dividends in 2007 appear to be $4.19 or a yield of 4.75%.  I picked these years as they were before all the "Q" funny business and were in a period of lower inflation.

For a guy that needs to hold his nose to buy TLT, I would like to know what others think is a fair value when adding to your TLT position. 
melveyr
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: What is fair Value for TLT?

Post by melveyr »

I have always thought that fair value is a term more often used when one is practicing value investing. The PP is definitely not a value strategy, so if you are actually trying to do the PP I would just follow rebalancing bands.
everything comes from somewhere and everything goes somewhere
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc »

melveyr wrote: I have always thought that fair value is a term more often used when one is practicing value investing. The PP is definitely not a value strategy, so if you are actually trying to do the PP I would just follow rebalancing bands.
For me to buy TLT I would not need to rebalanced until it hit $79.  Fair value for TLT probably is not the right term.  Let say you have a fat VP that need to be reduced at some time.  The question for the panel is what is a juicy buy for TLT with new money?  Or when is TLT out of its possible bond bubble with all the "Q" buying of treasuries?

Ad Orientem
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ad Orientem »

modeljc wrote: ...I would like to know what others think is a fair value when adding to your TLT position.
Whatever someone is willing to pay for it.
Trumpism is not a philosophy or a movement. It's a cult.