Vanguard Treasuries Markets?

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Vanguard Treasuries Markets?

Post by whatchamacallit »

I think I am missing something within Vanguard when trying figure out how to buy treasuries directly.

I have an IRA brokerage account already setup and can find the bonds and CDs. All of the bonds and CDs besides treasuries have a buy/sell button.

When I looked at the treasuries in auction I see a list of the different treasuries but no buy/sell buttons. Maybe this is because there are no treasuries currently in auction?

When I search for treasuries in secondary market I receive the message "No offerings matched your search criteria." I didn't change the filters except to check off all of the treasuries like t-bills, notes, bonds.

Am I searching incorrectly or are there really no treasuries currently available at Vanguard?
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Vanguard Treasuries Markets?

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Vanguard treasury listings do not become active until the auction is announced (usually a week before the auction).
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

So Vanguard doesn't allow purchases on the secondary market?
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr »

Pointedstick wrote: So Vanguard doesn't allow purchases on the secondary market?
Yes they do. You can do it online using their bond desk. No need to wait for an auction.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit »

Is it because I am searching the secondary market when the bond desk is closed?

I found this blurb from here:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/help/F ... ontent.jsp

Please note that bond trading hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Eastern time.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

Auctions need to be announced, or Vanguard will not allow you to place orders for upcoming auctions.

The bond desk needs to have securities available that meet your search criteria.
It is the settled policy of America, that as peace is better than war, war is better than tribute.  The United States, while they wish for war with no nation, will buy peace with none"  James Madison
hoost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by hoost »

If I remember correctly, you need to search while the bond desk is open.  I believe I posted my experience to the bond buying tutorial.  Too tired to look up the link to the post now, but I may link to it tomorrow if I remember.  Otherwise, try searching again tomorrow during business hours.
WildAboutHarry
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by WildAboutHarry »

I recall doing successful weekend searches on ZionsDirect, which uses the same BondDesk system.

Maybe Vanguard is different?
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

When I tried looking up T-bonds on Vanguard last night it said no bonds matched my search criteria. But when I tried again this morning, a list of bonds showed up and I successfully bought one of them. So you just need to do the search during business hours.