Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

German 30 year bonds now have the same yield as Japan's

Post by MediumTex » Wed May 30, 2012 9:13 am

Around 1.82% right now.

Any reason the U.S. can't go there as well?
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: German 30 year bonds now have the same yield as Japan's

Post by moda0306 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:14 am

Looks like we might be on our way.  TLT is skyrocketing today.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
sk55

Post by sk55 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:33 am

Its great watching TLT keep my portfolio afloat!  i remember a few weeks ago the cnbc pundits were talking about inflation.
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed May 30, 2012 11:39 am

It's interesting that the nation with the lowest (to my knowledge) long-term bond yields in the world lacks the ability to print money.
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 am

Lone Wolf wrote: It's interesting that the nation with the lowest (to my knowledge) long-term bond yields in the world lacks the ability to print money.
I was thinking the same thing... it's one of a few broadly used western currencies (probably step one in helping yield uber-low rates), and with half of Europe in financial ruin and the currency itself relatively strong, there's a huge rush to quality.

I'd add that there IS an ECB, which can print money, and if the strongest economy in the Eurozone ever ends up in crisis mode along with all the others, you can bet there would be expansionary policy in place that the Germans and others are not currently in support of.  So it's maybe not inappropriate to view the strongest few economies in the Eurozone as "printers" in a sense, because if they go down, printing WILL happen.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed May 30, 2012 12:02 pm

moda0306 wrote: I'd add that there IS an ECB, which can print money, and if the strongest economy in the Eurozone ever ends up in crisis mode along with all the others, you can bet there would be expansionary policy in place that the Germans and others are not currently in support of.  So it's maybe not inappropriate to view the strongest few economies in the Eurozone as "printers" in a sense, because if they go down, printing WILL happen.
Hard to say.  The memory of the Weimar hyperinflation is still very strong in Germany and they are extremely skeptical of letting money-printing get out of hand.  To me, it's much more likely that the bond market simply senses that in spite of the Euro-related chaos, Germany is keeping its fiscal house in order and will pay its bills.

If things did get so bad that Germany was in trouble, I do imagine that the Central Bank would act in some way to relieve them in some way.
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby » Wed May 30, 2012 12:37 pm

I was under the impression that Germany essentially controls the ECB for all practical purposes. At least, the bond market seems to believe that.
Lone Wolf wrote:Hard to say.  The memory of the Weimar hyperinflation is still very strong in Germany and they are extremely skeptical of letting money-printing get out of hand.  To me, it's much more likely that the bond market simply senses that in spite of the Euro-related chaos, Germany is keeping its fiscal house in order and will pay its bills.

If things did get so bad that Germany was in trouble, I do imagine that the Central Bank would act in some way to relieve them in some way.
I agree. Though, the Bilderberg Group conspiracy theorist inside me wonders if some Eurocrats are purposefully letting things get really bad in other Eurozone countries so that those with money can buy up European real estate, businesses and assets at rock-bottom prices before the liquidity hose is turned on. Hard to believe that's actually true, but if Europe ever fixes its currency problem, I wouldn't be surprised if it plays out that way. I mean, I have to imagine that some of these Eurocrats have extremely wealthy supporters who are encouraging them to put the squeeze on peripheral Eurozone countries. Of course, these are things that can never be proven, but it makes you wonder...
Last edited by Gumby on Wed May 30, 2012 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed May 30, 2012 12:48 pm

Lone Wolf wrote: It's interesting that the nation with the lowest (to my knowledge) long-term bond yields in the world lacks the ability to print money.
Oh really?

I can't be sure, but I bet in the basement of the Bundesbank, there are many pallets of German marks ready to ship out at a moment's notice.

;)
Lone Wolf
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Lone Wolf » Wed May 30, 2012 1:35 pm

craigr wrote:
Oh really?

I can't be sure, but I bet in the basement of the Bundesbank, there are many pallets of German marks ready to ship out at a moment's notice.

;)
Ha!  Touché.  :)

I believe that it was MediumTex that compared the structure of the Euro to a party of rock climbers whose abilities ranged from world-class expert to complete novice and whose temperaments ranged from extremely cautious to extreme daredevil.  The final detail of this picture was to imagine all of these climbers lashed together and told to "go have a good time" on some dangerous mountain.

It's a great image.  I find myself imagining an expert, grizzled German climber named Hans Deutschland who watched his buddy Franz Weimar fall to his death a few years back.  It's hard to imagine that Hans doesn't have his hand on a caribiner ready to unhook himself from this motley crew at a moment's notice!
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Wed May 30, 2012 1:48 pm

I think they're all at risk of falling, though, because from what I hear Germany has just as much to lose by breaking off as Greece does.  It would appear they've all gotten themselves in a pickle.  Maybe Hans would cut the rope to those below him... but Atlas Popandopolous has all the tasty Gyros in his bag, and Hans needs sustenance badly.

- Thomas Paine
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed May 30, 2012 1:54 pm

Lone Wolf wrote: I find myself imagining an expert, grizzled German climber named Hans Deutschland who watched his buddy Franz Weimar fall to his death a few years back.  It's hard to imagine that Hans doesn't have his hand on a caribiner ready to unhook himself from this motley crew at a moment's notice!
Wait a second, are you saying that Hans isn't going to want to stay hooked in with Apollo, Alfredo and Domingo when things start to get hairy?
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed May 30, 2012 2:01 pm

I still have some German marks at home as souvenirs waiting for action. I wonder if they'll still be good the second time the Deutsche Mark returns?
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby » Wed May 30, 2012 2:04 pm

craigr wrote: I still have some German marks at home as souvenirs waiting for action. I wonder if they'll still be good the second time the Deutsche Mark returns?
Actually, those are no souvenirs. Those marks are still good today:
The Deutsche Bundesbank has guaranteed that all German marks in cash form may be changed into euros indefinitely, and one may do so at any branch of the Bundesbank in Germany. Banknotes can even be sent to the bank by mail.

On 31 December 1998, the European Central Bank (ECB) fixed the irrevocable exchange rate, effective 1 January 1999, for German mark to euros as DM 1.95583 = €1.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Mark
Nothing I say should be construed as advice or expertise. I am only sharing opinions which may or may not be applicable in any given case.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed May 30, 2012 2:09 pm

Gumby wrote:
craigr wrote: I still have some German marks at home as souvenirs waiting for action. I wonder if they'll still be good the second time the Deutsche Mark returns?
Actually, those are no souvenirs. Those marks are still good today:
The Deutsche Bundesbank has guaranteed that all German marks in cash form may be changed into euros indefinitely, and one may do so at any branch of the Bundesbank in Germany. Banknotes can even be sent to the bank by mail.

On 31 December 1998, the European Central Bank (ECB) fixed the irrevocable exchange rate, effective 1 January 1999, for German mark to euros as DM 1.95583 = €1.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutsche_Mark
I thank them for their offer,  but at this point I think I'll keep the deutsche marks and they can keep the euros!
Gumby
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gumby » Wed May 30, 2012 2:21 pm

craigr wrote:I thank them for their offer,  but at this point I think I'll keep the deutsche marks and they can keep the euros!
Heh. Well, I think it just points out that marks aren't worthless right now. They could just un-fix the exchange rate and start exchanging them out again.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am

German bonds now have lower yields than Japan's.

Remember back when Japan looked like a bizarre exception to all of the rules we thought applied to bond markets?  Maybe Japan was just head of the rest of the world by a few years.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Thu May 31, 2012 2:40 pm

MediumTex wrote: German bonds now have lower yields than Japan's.

Remember back when Japan looked like a bizarre exception to all of the rules we thought applied to bond markets?  Maybe Japan was just head of the rest of the world by a few years.
Deleveraging is a beast that can crush bond bears into tiny pieces.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu May 31, 2012 2:45 pm

clacy wrote:

I've heard that "Bond Bear Dust" is an aphrodisiac.
clacy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by clacy » Thu May 31, 2012 3:14 pm

MediumTex wrote:
clacy wrote:

Maybe this is what motivates Central Bankers
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Thu May 31, 2012 3:26 pm

clacy wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
clacy wrote: Deleveraging is a beast that can crush bond bears into tiny pieces.
Maybe this is what motivates Central Bankers
Perhaps in our world Ben Bernanke is to the "Dust" as Paul Atreides is to the "Spice" in the Dune series.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:38 am

The German 30 year bond is at 1.68% today.
Gosso
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Gosso » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:53 am

MediumTex wrote: The German 30 year bond is at 1.68% today.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:12 pm

John Mauldin has a nice summary of the arguments for continued deflation and downward movement of Treasury yields for a long time, possibly years, before real secondary inflation can kick in as a result of the Fed's attempts to monetize the debt.  Among other things there is a list of the 17 lowest 10 year government bond yields.  The U.S. is #11.  Switzerland is #1 at 0.48%.

http://www.johnmauldin.com/frontlinetho ... the-timing

As a side note, he talking about buying Swiss bonds as a bet that eventually Switzerland will take the franc off the "euro" standard.  When it does, the franc will immediately jump high as will Swiss bonds in real terms.  Such as the ones held in PRPFX.  We can only hope....
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch." -- Benjamin Franklin