Very good Cullen Roche post on the current bond situation

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Very good Cullen Roche post on the current bond situation

Post by Kevin K. » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:35 am

Roche (author of "Pragmatic Capitalism") seems to me to be well worth following. Here's yesterday's big picture look at the market's latest gyrations and the Fed's role in them:

https://www.pragcap.com/who-will-buy-the-bonds/

As Mr. Lawson (AKA Medium Tex) said long ago, U.S. Treasuries are still "the best horse at the glue factory." That said, I wouldn't touch any such horse older than about 5 years at this point. YMMV
johnnywitt

Re: Very good Cullen Roche post on the current bond situation

Post by johnnywitt » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:41 pm

If one wants to hold a PP or PP variant, then they have to believe in the basic philosophy behind holding such a portfolio. Holding Bonds that aren't Sovereign & aren't Long Duration is antithetical to the basic philosophy.
Most Folks aren't suited to holding a PP or variant thereof IMHO.
Most "investors" have no clue of even the difference between investing & speculation; in fact, most are akin to dogs that like to chase automobiles and with commensurate results. >:D
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Very good Cullen Roche post on the current bond situation

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:30 pm

johnnywitt wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:41 pm
If one wants to hold a PP or PP variant, then they have to believe in the basic philosophy behind holding such a portfolio. Holding Bonds that aren't Sovereign & aren't Long Duration is antithetical to the basic philosophy.
Most Folks aren't suited to holding a PP or variant thereof IMHO.
Most "investors" have no clue of even the difference between investing & speculation; in fact, most are akin to dogs that like to chase automobiles and with commensurate results. >:D
Except that for the last 40 years, everyone is above average.