Permanent Portfolio Fund now without Treasury Bonds

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

AllWeatherPP

Permanent Portfolio Fund now without Treasury Bonds

Post by AllWeatherPP » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 am

In their current prospectus, you can see on page 2 (fixed income holdings) that the Permanent Portfolio fund, once advised by Harry Browne, doesn't seem to invest in longterm Treasury bonds anymore (only 5,69% allocated to Treasury bonds with a maturity of about 3 years...) and the main allocation is in corporate bonds (about 25% of the whole portfolio) :o

https://www.permanentportfoliofunds.com/pdf/PRPFX.pdf

Or am I reading that completely wrong?
First Ray Dalio/Bridgewater/All Weather, now the Permanent Portfolio Fund. Longterm bonds seem to be massively out of favor for balanced portfolio thought leaders.

Maybe it's time to reform the once permanent portfolio...
dockinGA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Permanent Portfolio Fund now without Treasury Bonds

Post by dockinGA » Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:48 am

AllWeatherPP wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:59 am
In their current prospectus, you can see on page 2 (fixed income holdings) that the Permanent Portfolio fund, once advised by Harry Browne, doesn't seem to invest in longterm Treasury bonds anymore (only 5,69% allocated to Treasury bonds with a maturity of about 3 years...) and the main allocation is in corporate bonds (about 25% of the whole portfolio) :o

https://www.permanentportfoliofunds.com/pdf/PRPFX.pdf

Or am I reading that completely wrong?
First Ray Dalio/Bridgewater/All Weather, now the Permanent Portfolio Fund. Longterm bonds seem to be massively out of favor for balanced portfolio thought leaders.

Maybe it's time to reform the once permanent portfolio...
Are you referring to PRPFX? If so, I seem to remember that their performance relative to a bland 4x25 PP of ETF's has been pretty poor. Also, a quick look at how corporate bonds performed during the March 2020 crash is enough for me to think that corporate bonds should be treated more like equities than a flight-to-safety type investment. Who knows what the future holds, though.
AllWeatherPP

Re: Permanent Portfolio Fund now without Treasury Bonds

Post by AllWeatherPP » Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:54 am

Yes. It's very interesting that they sold longterm treasuries, but I wouldn't go into corporate bonds.