Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Ray Dalio on Bonds

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 am

Not to rock the boat even further…

But many of us pretty much know that the Permanent Portfolio isn’t perfect... and isn’t REALLY “Permanent”. There have been many posts about what it would take to break it. If it turns out that mixing peanut butter and windex makes gold… everyone around here would have to rethink some things.

I think the reality is that the Permanent Portfolio is pretty much like modern car’s “lane assist” feature. If you are distracted with other things and start to swerve out of your lane, the cameras in the side mirrors detect it and simply steer you back in your lane. Fantastic. However, the more extreme the environments conditions are, the more that safety feature will break down.

This is the problem with the Permanent Portfolio. It needs firewalls for extreme environments. It needs to be a "Proactive Permanent Portfolio" to address low-occurrence events (zero yields, world reserve currency changes, hyperinflation, etc.). Additional rules that allow it to temporarily change its asset allocation to adjust for the change in risk (caused by a change in the underlying asset correlations due to the extreme event).

Some things that would probably have an impact on the risk-balance within a traditional Permanent Portfolio...

- Scenario A: LTT reaching zero yields
- Scenario B: Hyperinflation
- Scenario C: Explosion in gold production
- Scenario D: World reserve currency shift

I am sure there might be several others. But it is easy to see that...

In a Scenario B, you would be rebalancing your gold for worthless paper.
In a Scenario C, you could be rebalancing your stocks and cash for worthless gold.

It is hard to think of the best specific safeguards for these events (especially since the world will be different when they occur). However, I think it would be great for us to come up with SET DEFINITIONS in advance.

For example, (let's just say for argument's sake) that Scenario A becomes an issue at below 2.5% yield (or whatever number). When that threshold is crossed, a Proactive Permanent Portfolio would say:

WARNING!! BEST-LAID INVESTING PLAN HAS GONE WRONG!! WARNING!!

At 2.5% yield = halt rebalancing into LTT
At 2.0% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 15%
At 1.5% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 12.5%
At 1.25% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 10%
At 1.0% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 7.5%
At 0.75% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 5%
At 0.5% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 2.5%
At 0.25% yield = reduce LTT allocation to 0%
At 0.5% yield = increase LTT allocation to 2.5%
At 0.75% yield = increase LTT allocation to 5%
At 1.0% yield = increase LTT allocation to 7.5%
At 1.25% yield = increase LTT allocation to 10%
At 1.5% yield = increase LTT allocation to 12.5%
At 2.0% yield = increase LTT allocation to 15%
At 3.0% yield = resume rebalancing into LTT

I am not implying that the approach above is ideal. However, I am trying to point out that it is systematic and nothing crazy. You are just trying to balance out the change in risk as the correlation of the underlying assets distort.

A Scenario D (World Reserve Currency shift) would probably be similar. The world will likely slowly and steadily drift from the dollar. At a certain point you begin allocating away from it with whatever the world is using.

IMHO, that is what the traditional Permanent Portfolio is lacking and desperately needs to meet its intended goal. It can probably hold up on its own, but its safety is not linear.
Kevin K.
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kevin K. » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:38 am

Great stuff as usual ahhrunforthehills!

And yeah, we're well on our way with scenario #1 and arguably (according to Dalio anyway) with scenario #4 as well. I really do like the idea of having a rules-based approach and as has been said already in this thread that also applies just as much if not more with the issue of when when to revert to the original allocation (so for example a phased-in return to the LTT/STT barbell when/if yields and the yield curve return to some semblance of normalcy).

At the end of the day what seems to be "permanent" rather than the PP as such are Harry Browne's brilliant insights into constructing portfolios based not just on backtesting but on robust response to specific economic conditions along with many other pearls of wisdom as expressed in the 16 Rules for Financial Safety.

Thanks to you and everyone else here for making this thread into something worth saving and reflecting on.
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 am
Can recall listening to Dalio about that. Actually, what sort of implication have this shift on PP - it might be over simplified view of things, but is that about (in the very essence of it) the negative correlation of the world reserve currency (USD as of now) with Gold ? Actually, if Scenario D happens anytime in the future, that would be the ultimate killer of (US!) PP as we/you know it (and as I've previously shared - I do not believe in non-US PP implementations, for example Gold doesn't give a **** about how my local currency is doing or how high is the inflation in my country ) ...
Vil
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Vil » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am
which is why i would only use short term tips ...
Yup, got your point. It might be this one is nothing new for you, but worth reading for anyone else - "The long and short of TIPS"
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:52 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:38 am
Great stuff as usual ahhrunforthehills!

And yeah, we're well on our way with scenario #1 and arguably (according to Dalio anyway) with scenario #4 as well. I really do like the idea of having a rules-based approach and as has been said already in this thread that also applies just as much if not more with the issue of when when to revert to the original allocation (so for example a phased-in return to the LTT/STT barbell when/if yields and the yield curve return to some semblance of normalcy).

At the end of the day what seems to be "permanent" rather than the PP as such are Harry Browne's brilliant insights into constructing portfolios based not just on backtesting but on robust response to specific economic conditions along with many other pearls of wisdom as expressed in the 16 Rules for Financial Safety.

Thanks to you and everyone else here for making this thread into something worth saving and reflecting on.
Even PRPFX believes in some evolution and have changed over the last 40 years. No LTT's and only 9.4% in Treasuries that are mostly short and they don't extend out but 6 or 7 years. In total only 28% in bonds and 19% of them are also short term. They have maintained their position in Swiss Francs at 7.4% thinking about scenario #4. We may need to change also as the world will be far different in the future.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:42 am
Can recall listening to Dalio about that. Actually, what sort of implication have this shift on PP - it might be over simplified view of things, but is that about (in the very essence of it) the negative correlation of the world reserve currency (USD as of now) with Gold ? Actually, if Scenario D happens anytime in the future, that would be the ultimate killer of (US!) PP as we/you know it (and as I've previously shared - I do not believe in non-US PP implementations, for example Gold doesn't give a **** about how my local currency is doing or how high is the inflation in my country ) ...
What happens is a bit of a rabbit-hole.

The relationship with gold could be one issue. I think one question is... how does the following map change (if at all [assuming it is correct to begin with]) as the United States drifts from being the major world reserve currency force: https://investresolve.com/inc/uploads/2 ... eatmap.png

Also keep in mind that world reserve currency status is a blessing in the beginning, but becomes a bit of a curse later. The United States losing its status would not necessarily be a bad thing.

A normal country can simply devalue its currency to make its exports more attractive. If there currency strengthens, they can buy foreign assets (denominated in foreign currencies) to offset that. A country with world reserve currency cannot manipulate its currency nearly as easy AFAIK. As a result it drifts further and further away from manufacturing.

I imagine you could end up with a hybrid model for reserve currency like the SDR (that uses a mixture of US Dollar, Euro, Yuan, Yen, and Pound). You might find that you now need to split up your equities accordingly as well. Of course this could have pretty large tax repercussions that might make such a tax strategy prohibitive. Also, the dollar losing its status would likely grow US manufacturing again (since the US could be more of a currency manipulator). So, there appears to be a relationship between the world reserve status and equities as well to consider.

Keep in mind that the world (under its current model) requires a stable reserve currency (countries need one in order to optimize trade... that is why they are literally called "reserves"). So something needs to either meet that requirement or the model would need to change to where they have less of that need (i.e. maybe some type of world reserve cryptocurrency?).

How your allocation needs to changed based on the difference between a world reserve currency SDR model vs a cryptocurreny model could be huge.

As I mentioned, it is hard to think of the best specific safeguards for these events (especially since the world will be different when they occur). I'd just be happy having an alarm go off at a certain point that tells me I REALLY need to turn off auto-pilot, grab the wheel, and make a decision based on the environment sitting in front of me.
Last edited by ahhrunforthehills on Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:13 pm

i have skimmed through some of the free-gold articles posted around here in the past, and (unless i am mistaken which i probably am) that with a loss of reserve status by America there may be no world reserve money, just competing fiat currency's..
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:40 pm

Vil wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:37 pm
mathjak107 wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:12 am
which is why i would only use short term tips ...
Yup, got your point. It might be this one is nothing new for you, but worth reading for anyone else - "The long and short of TIPS"
Thanks ...it confirms what I planned on ...the short term tips should at least track the CPI if inflation kicks up...the heavy lifting is done with dbc and its commodities and Gld gold if the dollar weakens
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Kevin K. wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:44 pm
While I can see where a real return strategy could make sense for some people the Fido fund has anemic (as in 1-3 year plain vanilla corporates) returns and a hefty .75% ER.

As far as I know all the risk parity approaches use long duration TIPS. I just don’t see the sense in long-duration Treasuries of any sort in this environment. What am I missing?
We have had low inflation so a real return fund would not have been the place to be all these past years
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:47 am

tlt has been no help in these stock market sell offs ... meh ....
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:24 am

May have been posted already, anyway, relevant to this thread.

https://www.morningstar.com/articles/991117/article
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:38 pm

at this point reading and back testing mean nothing ..whatever will be will be regardless ... i don't even try to sooth myself anymore by the past ....

all we can do is watch as things unfold
AllWeatherPP

Post by AllWeatherPP » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:26 am

mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 am

AllWeatherPP wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:26 am
Some more anti-bond sentiment:

https://investingsignal.com/2020/10/03/ ... t-plunges/
this is why i said above we need to stop with the mental masturbation by reading what was or used to be , or how things may have back tested and concentrate on how things are reacting going forward .

driving and looking in the rear view mirror may not be a great idea .
AdamA
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by AdamA » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:56 pm

mathjak107 wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:38 am

this is why i said above we need to stop with the mental masturbation by reading what was or used to be , or how things may have back tested and concentrate on how things are reacting going forward .

What do you guys think the worse case scenario is for the Long Term Treasury market?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:06 pm

no idea .... i wouldn't attempt to guess .
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:10 pm

Aren't you guessing by saying you don't want to hold them anymore?
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:32 pm

yep , it is a weighted educated guess just based on risk vs reward and fed policy . but i have no idea how bad it can get for long term bonds
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:07 pm

i am toying with a quick trade in TLT .. it is getting beat up today .
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:33 pm

Took a shot with Tlt . 625 shares 159.63.
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:16 pm

AdamA wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:56 pm
mathjak107 wrote:

What do you guys think the worse case scenario is for the Long Term Treasury market?
I think negative rates are unlikely. If you do get them, I can't imagine them being more than -.25% or -.5%. Anything more than that would be way too much stress on the financial sector and would force too many people towards alternative stores of wealth.

Again, keep in mind that gold is effectively a 0% treasury with no counter-party risk. Not to mention the long-term inverse correlation between stocks/gold is stronger than stocks/bonds. The only real downside is the spread.

But also keep in mind that your Uncle Sam has other options as well. If he hits zero at the long-end of the yield curve, he could just as easily create a 50 year or 100 year treasury to squeeze more juice out of it (albeit with diminishing results).

You could be telling your great-grandkids "I remember when 1,000 year treasuries were yielding 0.35%... those were the days!"

Would that make the PP still viable with ultra-long duration bonds? It does in theory.

However, if you take a look at that latest report from the Congressional Budget Office for the next 30 years... I think it would be obvious to a 4 year old that based on current yields and future expenditures... holding Long-Term Treasuries over the long term is pretty crazy. Another industrial revolution wouldn't be enough to get America out of our hole. You are staring down the barrel of either default or hyperinflation.

I am only aware of one leader who was able to effectively bring his people out of a mountain of debt, made sure his people were well fed, provided lots of social programs, and boosting wages more than double that of other leading nations. His people loved him. The guy was a German named Adolf.

Even if this happened in america, I suspect rates will rise BEFORE we start brutally robbing people in other countries.

So obviously ultra-long duration bonds start really walking up that risk curve. How much risk is really dependent on how things play out over the rest of your life.

The PP has short-term volatility. I suspect it will be a dog performance-wise in the future. You can either go with the dog or extend the length of that short-term volatility. If you can stomach 4 or 5 years of volatility, being in a 2:1 or 3:1 stock/gold allocation would probably provide you with much better "safety" while maximizing yields in regards to risk over the long-term.

Obviously, if you are near retirement, you do not necessarily have that luxury of 4 to 5 years of volatility. At which point, you would want to look towards shorter duration bonds (like mathjak has done).
modeljc
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by modeljc » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm

ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:16 pm
AdamA wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

I think negative rates are unlikely. If you do get them, I can't imagine them being more than -.25% or -.5%. Anything more than that would be way too much stress on the financial sector and would force too many people towards alternative stores of wealth.

Again, keep in mind that gold is effectively a 0% treasury with no counter-party risk. Not to mention the long-term inverse correlation between stocks/gold is stronger than stocks/bonds. The only real downside is the spread.

But also keep in mind that your Uncle Sam has other options as well. If he hits zero at the long-end of the yield curve, he could just as easily create a 50 year or 100 year treasury to squeeze more juice out of it (albeit with diminishing results).

You could be telling your great-grandkids "I remember when 1,000 year treasuries were yielding 0.35%... those were the days!"

Would that make the PP still viable with ultra-long duration bonds? It does in theory.

However, if you take a look at that latest report from the Congressional Budget Office for the next 30 years... I think it would be obvious to a 4 year old that based on current yields and future expenditures... holding Long-Term Treasuries over the long term is pretty crazy. Another industrial revolution wouldn't be enough to get America out of our hole. You are staring down the barrel of either default or hyperinflation.

I am only aware of one leader who was able to effectively bring his people out of a mountain of debt, made sure his people were well fed, provided lots of social programs, and boosting wages more than double that of other leading nations. His people loved him. The guy was a German named Adolf.

Even if this happened in america, I suspect rates will rise BEFORE we start brutally robbing people in other countries.

So obviously ultra-long duration bonds start really walking up that risk curve. How much risk is really dependent on how things play out over the rest of your life.

The PP has short-term volatility. I suspect it will be a dog performance-wise in the future. You can either go with the dog or extend the length of that short-term volatility. If you can stomach 4 or 5 years of volatility, being in a 2:1 or 3:1 stock/gold allocation would probably provide you with much better "safety" while maximizing yields in regards to risk over the long-term.

Obviously, if you are near retirement, you do not necessarily have that luxury of 4 to 5 years of volatility. At which point, you would want to look towards shorter duration bonds (like mathjak has done).
If you can stomach 4 or 5 years of volatility, being in a 2:1 or 3:1 stock/gold allocation would probably provide you with much better "safety" while maximizing yields in regards to risk over the long-term.

What is 2:1 allocation? 50% stock and 25% Gold? 25% cash or short duration bonds like SHY?
ahhrunforthehills
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ahhrunforthehills » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:44 pm

modeljc wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:06 pm
ahhrunforthehills wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:16 pm
AdamA wrote:
mathjak107 wrote:

If you can stomach 4 or 5 years of volatility, being in a 2:1 or 3:1 stock/gold allocation would probably provide you with much better "safety" while maximizing yields in regards to risk over the long-term.

What is 2:1 allocation? 50% stock and 25% Gold? 25% cash or short duration bonds like SHY?
Sorry, I should have been more clear.... and I actually just realized I made a bad typo. I meant 1:2 or 2:3 allocation.

Cash isn't really that important if you can deal with 4 or 5 years of volatility. If you have income, you could be 40% gold and 60% stock for a 2:3 allocation. I would base the ratio based on historical data still. For example, you can adjust based on SWR and CAPE (and other factors) using this spreadsheet:

https://earlyretirementnow.com/2018/08/ ... s-part-28/

Belangp does some really good research on it as well: https://www.youtube.com/user/belangp/videos

Some of his views are backed up by research here: https://earlyretirementnow.com/2020/01/ ... s-part-34/

EarlyRetirementNow is a great resource because the guy is skeptical of gold... which is great because I don't want or need some gold-bug giving me data created to fill his narrative.

Belangp determined the best approach is to never rebalance (as it causes too much tax drag). You just draw from the highest performing asset.

Another variation could be 30% gold, 60% stock, 10% cash.
Last edited by ahhrunforthehills on Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mathjak107
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mathjak107 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:30 pm

Drawing from the highest asset is rebalancing for the most part
senecaaa

Post by senecaaa » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:26 am

Replacing LTT with REIT in portfoliocharts, seems like an interesting move: ZUSAXAA20AI20AN20AO20GB20Z (shortcode).
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 13.23.27.png
Screenshot 2020-10-06 at 13.23.27.png (310.66 KiB) Viewed 6971 times