Why should I buy Treasuries now?

Discussion of the Bond portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Why should I buy Treasuries now?

Post by foglifter » Wed May 19, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm not an expert in bonds and feel that I might not understand the different aspects of bonds behavior in response to various economy moves.

I've read the Bonds FAQ and understand that LT Treasuries suffer the most when interest rates go up. Now that the Fed rate is essentially zero it's clear that interest rates have nowhere to go but up. I am contemplating buying TLT or FLBIX in IRA in addition to a total bond fund that I own in my 401(k). Does it make sense to wait until the rates go up and bond prices go down or should I not look at these drops and just buy? Since I talk about a bond fund, would it be correct to think that since the fund holds bonds of different maturities any drops will be smoothed and temporary?
Last edited by foglifter on Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
Quasimodo
Associate Member
Associate Member

Re: Why should I buy Treasuries now?

Post by Quasimodo » Wed May 19, 2010 2:09 pm

The Fed controls short term rates but the marketplace controls long term bond rates. People have been saying rates have to go up from here for several years.
It's conceivable short term rates could rise without much of any change in long term rates.

The beauty of the Permanent Portfolio is that you don't have to try to figure out what will happen next in the markets because the portfolio is so well diversified that although one part of it might be going down this week or this year those declines will be offset with advances in another part of the portfolio. If you have all four parts, you don't need to predict which one will do well next because it just won't matter.

John
A beautiful thing is never perfect.

Egyptian proverb
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Wed May 19, 2010 2:39 pm

Quasimodo wrote: The Fed controls short term rates but the marketplace controls long term bond rates. People have been saying rates have to go up from here for several years.
It's conceivable short term rates could rise without much of any change in long term rates.

John
I guess that's the point I was looking for - I keep forgetting about this crucial difference! I've just looked at the long-term TLT chart and it's obvious that the price fluctuations average to a very gradual upward trend. The spike at the end of 2008 is relatively short in duration and is an exception.

Thanks, John. ;)
"Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business, and a third let him keep in reserve."
- Talmud
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed May 19, 2010 3:56 pm

John had a good summary. The other issue with the Fed is that they can make all the money available they want at a low interest rate. However, it doesn't mean people may make use of it and deflation could continue right along.

I just went back and looked at my records from a few years ago when I first setup my portfolio and bought LT bonds. The prices since then have appreciated around 10% and yields were in the 4.5-5% range. These returns don't even include the 2008 incident where the bonds spiked in price and a rebalancing opportunity was created.

Yet back several years ago I could, and did, read the same exact arguments against LT bonds that I see today. It may in fact happen that they get hurt due to rising interest rates in the future, but the timing just isn't known. For all we know we could end up in a Japan style deflation and rates could drop to 2% and sit there for 20 years as they have overseas.

If this is a big concern for you then you can dollar cost average in. I would highly encourage to not make it a market timing maneuver though. Set a fixed time and fixed amount you will absolutely buy no matter what and keep doing it until you reach the full allocation.
Last edited by craigr on Wed May 19, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMoneyMachine

Post by MadMoneyMachine » Wed May 19, 2010 6:38 pm

foglifter wrote: I've just looked at the long-term TLT chart and it's obvious that the price fluctuations average to a very gradual upward trend.
And don't forget that depending upon which chart you are using, most do not include reinvested dividends. One that I think does include them is stockcharts.com and selecting the PerfChart option. Most other charts I think do not include them, they are just charting the price of the ETF. You can also use Yahoo Finance Historical quotes and look at the numbers in the rightmost column to get adjusted quotes.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Wed May 19, 2010 6:50 pm

MadMoneyMachine wrote:
foglifter wrote: I've just looked at the long-term TLT chart and it's obvious that the price fluctuations average to a very gradual upward trend.
And don't forget that depending upon which chart you are using, most do not include reinvested dividends. One that I think does include them is stockcharts.com and selecting the PerfChart option. Most other charts I think do not include them, they are just charting the price of the ETF. You can also use Yahoo Finance Historical quotes and look at the numbers in the rightmost column to get adjusted quotes.
Wow, this is impressive. Looks like M*, Yahoo and Google provide simply the price charts as you said. Good point.
- Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Wed May 19, 2010 9:12 pm

foglifter wrote: ...it's clear that interest rates have nowhere to go but up.
Long term interest rate moves in recent years have made a lot of smart people look dumb.

The PP doesn't require that you correctly predict these things.  Just buy the whole package and don't worry about what any one asset is doing.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Wed May 19, 2010 9:30 pm

foglifter wrote:Wow, this is impressive. Looks like M*, Yahoo and Google provide simply the price charts as you said. Good point.
Stockcharts.com uses total return as Madmoney points out. Morningstar also uses total returns as well as price charts. If you want to build a tracking portfolio I recommend using Morningstar. It will include total returns YTD which includes all dividends, etc. Stockcharts is excellent for looking at historical performance of allocations that includes dividends as well.
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Thu May 20, 2010 1:28 am

craigr wrote: Stockcharts.com uses total return as Madmoney points out. Morningstar also uses total returns as well as price charts. If you want to build a tracking portfolio I recommend using Morningstar. It will include total returns YTD which includes all dividends, etc. Stockcharts is excellent for looking at historical performance of allocations that includes dividends as well.
craigr, am I correct that M* shows total returns on the Performance charts only (Performance tab) and simply ETF price trend on the Charts tab? That's the impression I got comparing the two.
- Talmud
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Thu May 20, 2010 2:28 am

Under the performance tab for each individual ticker it should be using total returns. Also if you use the basic free portfolio manager they use total returns under the gain/loss section as well. I don't know what they are showing on the charts tab.
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:14 pm

I was reading some older bond threads, and came across this. As I check the record of TLT it was at around $98 at that time, and since then peaked above $108, now around $104. At present, in my own portfolio, and I supect many of yours, long term bonds are lagging. In the past, I have been putting new money into lagging assets at amounts I have selected to minimize costs.

I am now low in LT bonds, but it is difficult to avoid looking into your own crystal ball (or as foglifter put it, "Why should I buy treasuries now?"). It makes me think about HB's recommendation of putting new money into cash, and rebalancing when it (or another asset) hits the rebalancing band, rather than as I am doing, which I fear could inject some efforts at market timing.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:21 pm

6 Iron wrote:It makes me think about HB's recommendation of putting new money into cash, and rebalancing when it (or another asset) hits the rebalancing band, rather than as I am doing, which I fear could inject some efforts at market timing.
There is nothing wrong with this approach as long as you follow through with it. The plus side is it lowers the number of transactions you have. It may also lower volatility because you will not be putting money into rapidly falling assets. However there is always the chance that an asset may not fall to the lower band and instead could recover. In which case you could lose some upside by staying out of the market. Every rebalancing approach has its plusses and minuses. Do what works for you, just make sure you are rebalancing and not market timing.
Last edited by craigr on Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Back to the original question, why LT treasuries now.  This question remains my biggest hang-up, as I am sure it is for many. You have provided sound advice about market timing Craig and MediumTex. But, for me, it is not as much a matter of timing as a concern about risk vs. reward, upside vs. downside. So please help me with this one; I probably have a serious flaw in my knowledge of bonds and/or my logic.

Here is an exaggerated example using round numbers. Since LT bonds are at historically low yields, there is not a lot of room left to fall. They are near the floor. If yields fell from around 4% to 0% (would probably signal the approach of Armageddon), that would translate to a return of about 120% for the 30 year bond, right, assuming price change approximates change in interest rate x duration? Such a return would not be trivial, but it is unlikely, and THAT WOULD BE IT after that. On the other hand, if rates climb, the sky is the limit, and the loss could rapidly approach 100%. Even it yields climbed back to levels of 7%, the loss would be about 90%. The same cannot be said of gold and equities for which, theoretically, the sky is the limit for returns, justifying their potential downside of 100% loss.

As far as the PP goes, then, the LT bonds are there to protect from a deflationary environment. But, at historically low yields, I wonder if their upside is enough to carry the portfolio and justify their risk. What would HB say?
6 Iron
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by 6 Iron » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm

BearBones wrote:
As far as the PP goes, then, the LT bonds are there to protect from a deflationary environment. But, at historically low yields, I wonder if their upside is enough to carry the portfolio and justify their risk. What would HB say?
I cannot channel HB, but I suspect he would ask himself if there was another asset besides LT bonds that would do a better job of protecting the portfolio in a deflationary environment, or when interest rates are going down. At present, I do not see one. I am chastened by the Japan experience, and believe that they still represent a valuable component of the portfolio.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:15 pm

The losses are not linear. In the 1970- early 1980s rates climbed to over 10%. Yet, the portfolio value turned in real returns because of the gold allocation. No it was not a good decade for bond holders. But they didn't lose 90% of their value.

BTW. LT Bond rates fell below 2% during the Great Depression. So things can happen that nobody expects.

As for the LT bond debate. During this whole thing about the inevitability of bond rates rising and causing massive losses I have held onto my bonds. They have done nothing but pay me decent interest twice a year without complaint. At the same time the people hiding out in short term issues have been getting zero percent (or close to it). They may be right about LT bonds going up from here, but during all the gnashing of teeth I continue to collect interest payments and get capital appreciation as rates have fallen. The markets are just not predictable.

Even if you bought at the worst peak of the LT bonds in early 2009 (when they were around 2.5%) they posted a loss of -22% for the year. Yet the portfolio value in total posted +8% gains for the year (stocks went up sharply along with gold as interest rates recovered). Looking at assets in isolation it is easy to focus only on the -22% loss. But overall it meant nothing at all to the portfolio even if you were unlucky enough to buy at the absolute worst time for LT bonds for decades. Only total portfolio value matters.

But also remember that in 2008 when the markets crashed it was LT bonds that covered the portfolio losses. This was also a time when people said LT bonds were going to get killed due to inflation. They were wrong. So doing without LT bonds has its own risks.
Last edited by craigr on Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by BearBones » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:36 pm

You folks are amazing! You respond so quickly, and your answers are so consistently grounded in impassivity about future market conditions.

Reminds me of asking my father, "Can I have a car?"
"No, there is no need for you to own a car at age 18."
"But what if I payed for gas?"
"But what if I kept it at my friends."
"But what if I took REALLY good care of it?"

Hmm. Maybe I will ask the same question again in another thread...

What specifically do you mean by "the losses are not linear," Craig.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:07 pm

The only economic condition that scares me is long term deflation, in part because it suggests a deeply dysfunctional underlying economy with problems that can take decades to fully address.

Contrary to common perception, inflation in a reserve currency is not that big a deal--it can be easily tamed through raising interest rates (as Volcker did the one and only time the U.S. saw a prolonged period of inflation in the last 100 years).  The same is not true when it comes to deflation--once the central bank gets to zero, no more interest rate cuts are possible, and we are seeing the futility of alternative efforts to juice the economy such as QE.

The only protection against deflation is long term bonds; that's reason enough for me to have them.

I think that the whole "interest rates are about to skyrocket" story is yet another media-created narrative that has little basis in reality.  When you look at long term interest rates based upon expected future output (which is what really drives long term rates), you see a mean of around 4% that has held up for hundreds of years.  Right now, we have inflation expectations of about zero and long term bond rates a little over 4%, which seems about right to me.  If deflation fears resurface (and I think they probably will), it's easy to imagine long term treasury yields going to 2% or lower.

As craig said, though, long term bonds are going to pay you a nice coupon yield even if rates don't fall, and if rates do begin to edge back up that will probably be a symptom of a recovering economy, as opposed to this crazy inflation that everyone seems to be expecting (though no one seems to have a clue where people are going to get the money to pay these future higher prices).

The more time I spend around the PP, the more I feel like I can "see into" the wisdom and soundness in its design.  The fact that it hides in plain sight and few people will ever avail themselves of its safety and stability is just something that a PP investor has to learn to accept.

One thing that the PP teaches you is that you don't know as much about the future as you think you do.  Once this reality begins to fully sink in (and it takes a while), it leads to the additional realizations that you may also not know as much about the past or present as you think you do.  These insights can lead to a durable foundation of humility, which can form the basis for great improvements in decision-making across the board.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:12 am

BearBones wrote: What specifically do you mean by "the losses are not linear," Craig.
Meaning that rising interest rates do not equate to a linear loss in your bond prices. The maturity of the bond and coupon payment play into how much the bond will ultimately be affected by rising rates. I would have to sit down and work up a spreadsheet to calculate what kind of interest rates we'd need to see 90% loss in bond prices from today. But my off-the-cuff guess is they'd be very high that it would mean very bad inflation is taking place and at that point you better be holding gold.

To add to Tex's point. If we really have deflation now that means the paltry 4% the LT bonds are paying may be more like 6% real (assuming 1-2% deflation). So even though it may appear that bond yields are low, they may actually be at historic averages. There is simply no way to guess these things and if we get a Japan situation you'll think that 4-5% yield is a kingly sum. :)

It really is a tremendously bad idea to look at assets in isolation in any portfolio, but especially the Permanent Portfolio. It is designed to work with volatility for an advantage. Not owning all the assets breaks the protection IMO.
Last edited by craigr on Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
craigr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by craigr » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:22 am

KevD wrote: I would like to see Craig use some of his influence to talk with Cuggino amd get a PP ETF started.   ;D ;D ;D
Sadly, it is incredibly expensive to start a mutual fund. The layers of bureaucracy at the federal and state level is daunting. It is even more expensive to keep it going while you get enough assets to make it worth your time. You'd have to charge well in excess of 1% a year I think to get it to be workable. Even then, the operator will be paying much out of pocket expenses for backend bookeeping/compliance/etc. until you can get in the black.

I think there is a market for this type of fund, but doing so for a cheap enough price is the problem even assuming you get past all the regulatory hurdles. :(
moda0306
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by moda0306 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:10 am

KevD & Others skeptical of LT Bonds,

I have one word for you: Japan.

I don't have time to look up details, but their national (public) debt is much higher than ours, and their Long-term bonds are now at 1% or so.  I'm not saying the US will go to 1%, but it could happen.  Imagine how much your 4.3% 30-years will return if that's the case for us?  Gold is all you need to hold for the opposite.  It's a machine... an almost perfect one at that.  In fact, only in times of prosperity would I feel the pressure to drop it... it's when you have currency issues that you're glad to have 25% gold, or deflationary spirals (tough to get out of) that you're glad you have 50% LT bonds and cash.

LT treasuries have excellent traits about them, and their disadvantages can be hedged against by owning gold & stocks.

Short of getting into options & other risky diversions, I don't think there's a better portfolio out there.  I try to tell people about it but their interest is limited.  Tough to swallow sometimes because I feel like I've found the golden goose.
"Men did not make the earth. It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

- Thomas Paine
KevD

Post by KevD » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:25 pm

craigr wrote:
KevD wrote: I would like to see Craig use some of his influence to talk with Cuggino amd get a PP ETF started.  ;D ;D ;D
Sadly, it is incredibly expensive to start a mutual fund. The layers of bureaucracy at the federal and state level is daunting. It is even more expensive to keep it going while you get enough assets to make it worth your time. You'd have to charge well in excess of 1% a year I think to get it to be workable. Even then, the operator will be paying much out of pocket expenses for backend bookeeping/compliance/etc. until you can get in the black.

I think there is a market for this type of fund, but doing so for a cheap enough price is the problem even assuming you get past all the regulatory hurdles. :(
If there was some reliable way of measuring demand, it seems one of the ETF sponsors could get it off the ground.

iShares seems the shoe-in.  They already have 4 funds that would work:

TLT - iShares Barclays
IAU - iShares COMEX Gold Trust
IVV - S&P 500 iShares
SHY - iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund

Give it a reasonably low ER and advertise the hell out of it.  ;)

Over the last few months, I've seen a fair amount of discussion of PP around the net, but almost everyone hates at least one asset class, and that keeps them from buying in to the concept.  To me, an ETF seems like a logical solution.  From iShare's point of view, it would have a double purpose of helping boost their gold and S&P 500 ETFs, which have been less popular than GLD or SPY.
Last edited by KevD on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snowman9000
Associate Member
Associate Member

Post by Snowman9000 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:22 pm

OK, thought exercise....
Who here would buy LT bonds if rates were 1%?
I really don't think I could do it. Things would be seriously bad at that point, IMO. 
foglifter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by foglifter » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:33 pm

KevD wrote: If there was some reliable way of measuring demand, it seems one of the ETF sponsors could get it off the ground.

iShares seems the shoe-in.  They already have 4 funds that would work:

TLT - iShares Barclays
IAU - iShares COMEX Gold Trust
IVV - S&P 500 iShares
SHY - iShares Barclays 1-3 Year Treasury Bond Fund

Give it a reasonably low ER and advertise the hell out of it.   ;)

Over the last few months, I've seen a fair amount of discussion of PP around the net, but almost everyone hates at least one asset class, and that keeps them from buying in to the concept.  To me, an ETF seems like a logical solution.  From iShare's point of view, it would have a double purpose of helping boost their gold and S&P 500 ETFs, which have been less popular than GLD or SPY.
iShares could have boosted their gold and Treasuries ETFs much more easily - by including the two into their 25-free-trade-ETFs deal with Fidelity. By some obscure reason IAU and TLT haven't made it to the list, while EEM, EMB, TIP, and SCZ were included.

Talking about PP ETF as an idea overall - I think craigr outlined the situation perfectly: we PP followers read and talk about PP-related topics and at some point we get to the conclusion that "everybody talks about PP". But in reality we are very, very few - a far cry from what an ETF sponsor would have considered a substantial level of demand capable to justify administrative expenses.
Last edited by foglifter on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Talmud
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:30 pm

foglifter wrote: We PP followers read and talk about PP-related topics and at some point we get to the conclusion that "everybody talks about PP". But in reality we are very, very few - a far cry from what an ETF sponsor would have considered a substantial level of demand capable to justify administrative expenses.
Remember, too, that there isn't much of a "story" to tell when it comes to the PP.

We are basically saying we have no idea what will happen in the future, which way the economy will go, what interest rates will do, etc.  We are professing utter and complete indifference about what the future may hold.

A fund like that would make a pretty boring road show.  

I have shared the PP concept with some pretty sharp money managers that I cross paths with professionally, hoping that they would see the elegance in its design, especially the way it takes the concepts of uncertainty and volatility and embraces them.  No luck...these guys don't get it either.  I'm not sure they want to get it.  If something that simple were to get out, it would put a lot of market wizards out of work.

I notice that people often have trouble even listening to a description of the thinking behind the PP; they get hung up on the individual assets and are not able to see the inter-relationships among the assets.  They want to start telling me how it's not a good idea before I am even finished describing it.

The PP is one of those things in life that rarely sinks in immediately.  It's like some kind of zen koan that one must ponder and meditate on for a while before the meaning begins to emerge.  That's one of the things I like about it...it is truly subtle in its conception and wise in its view of the world.  

Perhaps a PP MadLib to the lyrics of the Doors' "Texas Radio and the Big Beat" would provide a useful vehicle for telling someone about the strategy:

I wanna tell you about Texas Radio and the PP
Comes out of the Virginia swamps
Cool and slow with plenty of precision
With a structure that is narrow and hard to master

Some call the PP heavenly in its brilliance
Others, mean and scornful of the Wall Street dream
I love the friends I have gathered together in this internet forum
We have discussions in honor of our investments
This is the land where the Masters of the Universe died

The non-correlated asset Negroes in the forest brightly feathered
They are saying, "Forget Jim Cramer and his minions.
Live with us in forests of indifference toward future market conditions.
Out here on the perimeter there is no CNBC reception.
Out here we is stoned - until it's time to rebalance."

Listen to this, and I'll tell you 'bout the heartache
I'll tell you 'bout the heartache and the loss of capital
I'll tell you 'bout the hopeless bear market night
The meager food for souls forgot
I'll tell you 'bout the hedge fund manager with raw iron soul

I'll tell you this
No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting our hard earned savings

I'll tell you 'bout Texas Radio and the PP
Soft drivin', slow and mad, like some new investing language

Now, listen to this, and I'll tell you 'bout the Texas
I'll tell you 'bout the Texas Radio
I'll tell you 'bout making non-correlated assets and volatility work for you
Wandering far from the dens of fortune tellers and thieves
I'll tell you 'bout the PP and its simple beauty
Last edited by MediumTex on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:17 am

MediumTex wrote: As craig said, though, long term bonds are going to pay you a nice coupon yield even if rates don't fall, and if rates do begin to edge back up that will probably be a symptom of a recovering economy, as opposed to this crazy inflation that everyone seems to be expecting (though no one seems to have a clue where people are going to get the money to pay these future higher prices).
From an international sell-off of U.S. Treasury securities, perhaps?

When fear reaches critical mass, it creates a "run" on whatever is feared.  Human nature, I guess.  If enough of our foreign creditors come to the eventual realization that U.S. federal debt is a Ponzi scheme--and the biggest one ever, at that--they just might feel the urge to sell their dollars instead of sit on them.  If that were to happen, I'm guessing we'd see the dollar prices of a lot of goods and services start to get bid up by our foreign creditors.

Not sure how likely that scenario is, though.  If a sell-off happens, maybe it will happen slowly enough for the market to adjust to the change in novel and perhaps totally unforeseen ways.