Market cap weighting vs other methods

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Market cap weighting vs other methods

Post by ochotona » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:10 pm

I really learned quite a bit about the flaws of conventional market cap weighted funds like VTI from Episode 18 of Meb Faber's new podcast. Rob Arnott was the guest, and they had a long, deep discussion. I am now really thinking about just swapping out my stock ETFs with fundamental weighted ETFs.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Market cap weighting vs other methods

Post by ochotona » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:38 pm

I am at Schwab, they have an Arnott affiliated small family of six ETFs. FNDX FNDB FNDF FNDA FNDC FNDE are the symbols I believe.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:08 pm

http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/v/82 ... flawed.htm

His backtesting shows a monkey-seleted fund beats capweighting. Why?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:03 pm

ochotona wrote:I am at Schwab, they have an Arnott affiliated small family of six ETFs. FNDX FNDB FNDF FNDA FNDC FNDE are the symbols I believe.
The devil is in the details. Most of the "smart beta" funds won't outperform market cap weighting in the long-term because of the higher management fees as well as how they poorly weight the securities and the excessive number of securities bought. It needs to be low cost, weighted by factor and concentrated enough to beat the legacy baggage of taxes, trading commissions and all the other seen and unseen fees in market cap weighted funds.

And keep in mind, factors go in and out of season and may disappear alltogether. You may be better off with a broad equal weight fund like RSP than trying to time or allocate to factors. And at this point only growth and value are still fundamental drivers; momentum is a derivative of growth; value is a derivative of quality; dividends is a derivative of value; low volatility/low beta is a derivative of Consumer Non-Cyclicals. Everything else is just data mining bullshit or Wall Street wouldn't be pushing it.
Last edited by MachineGhost on Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:13 pm

boglerdude wrote:http://www.morningstar.com/advisor/v/82 ... flawed.htm

His backtesting shows a monkey-seleted fund beats capweighting. Why?
Probably tracking error due to lack of career and institutional constraints. Buy RSP if you want the same effect.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:34 pm

Why do equal weighted funds outperform capweighted
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:33 am

The thumbnail sketch answer is that as the major stocks like Apple, Facebook, Nike, Google (FANG) get more and more valuable, and take up more and more of the market-cap index, they also all get closer and closer to being fully valued, and their forward-looking returns diminish. The market-cap index is distorted, and looks like a few companies, and not like the US economy as a whole.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:45 am

boglerdude wrote:Why do equal weighted funds outperform capweighted
Size and value exposure. What is "best" depends on all inclusive fees. Most "smart beta" funds are several multiples more expensive than market-cap weighting so the small edge will get wiped out. I favor broad funds and leaving factor concentration to the VP where you can actually do a proper job.

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:01 pm

I agree smart beta fees will wipe out any alleged extra returns. That said, the large-cap Schwab alternative weighted ETF FNDX is 0.32% expense ratio, which is not horrible.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:17 pm

ochotona wrote:I agree smart beta fees will wipe out any alleged extra returns. That said, the large-cap Schwab alternative weighted ETF FNDX is 0.32% expense ratio, which is not horrible.
Thats lower than average. How has the performance been vs S&P500?

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:22 pm

MachineGhost wrote:
ochotona wrote:I agree smart beta fees will wipe out any alleged extra returns. That said, the large-cap Schwab alternative weighted ETF FNDX is 0.32% expense ratio, which is not horrible.
WORSE. Since January 2014, 8.42% CAGR for VOO, vs. 6.84% for FNDX. But that's not a long period of time at all. Do you find other ETFs that beat the S&P?
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:43 pm

ochotona wrote:
MachineGhost wrote:
WORSE. Since January 2014, 8.42% CAGR for VOO, vs. 6.84% for FNDX. But that's not a long period of time at all. Do you find other ETFs that beat the S&P?
RSP is one. I'm sure there are others but I don't have much interest in ETF's without any downside risk management so I don't really pay that much attention to "buy and hold".

ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:13 pm

RSP Guggenheim Equal Weight sounds good to me. I think I can get it commission-free.
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:25 pm

FYI, here is the document which governs the Research Affiliates / FTSE Russell Funamental Indices:

http://www.ftse.com/products/downloads/ ... es.pdf?969

Page 15, is where it all starts:

"4.4 The review of the FTSE RAFI Index Series and the calculation of the fundamental weighting of a company are carried out using the following factors as found in a company’s annual returns:

A. Sales = company sales averaged over the prior five years
B. Cash Flow = company cash flow averaged over the prior five years
C. Book Value = company book value at the review date
D. Dividends = total dividend distributions averaged over the last five years"
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:00 pm

ochotona wrote:A. Sales = company sales averaged over the prior five years
B. Cash Flow = company cash flow averaged over the prior five years
C. Book Value = company book value at the review date
D. Dividends = total dividend distributions averaged over the last five years"
So its just growth and value tilting. You have to decide if this is worth the extra fees over the other alternatives. Generally, factor composites work better than a single factor. So that's how I would view this. Do they use the best growth or value factors? Not from the looks of it.

Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:17 am

http://m.wealthmanagement.com/etfs/when ... akes-sense

One of the better comparisons I've seen. It is fairly easy to get most of the best of both with simple Mo between the two or if you are hardcore agnostic, just buy 50% of each and you get the average. Simple averaging is a great tool if you can't decide between two options. You won't get the best but you won't get the worst either.
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:42 pm

Kbg wrote:http://m.wealthmanagement.com/etfs/when ... akes-sense

One of the better comparisons I've seen. It is fairly easy to get most of the best of both with simple Mo between the two or if you are hardcore agnostic, just buy 50% of each and you get the average. Simple averaging is a great tool if you can't decide between two options. You won't get the best but you won't get the worst either.
That was the impetus for the Equal Weight Market Cap approach I came up with last year. But what bothered me about that was the risk was not equalized among them because small and micro caps are definitely way more riskier than mega caps. Stupid me didn't realize until just this very minute (that I can recall) that the way to go is to risk paritize the market caps. Doh!

They didn't prove it but maybe it is the sector overweighting that matters, not the equal weighting.