Re: Demographics and the Stock Market

Post by ochotona »

I am not a subscriber
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

How did you come upon your 3% position in SH?
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

The 3% position in $SH is just to insure my spouse's equity holdings that I can't get into and change, in her retirement plan. So truth be told, we're not net short 3%, we're net short 0%. But if we start a waterfall decline below 1800 on the S&P, I'm thinking of putting in more, How much is a matter of much concern. I'm thinking a total of net short 5%, because anything less doesn't move the needle, but it is a extreme measure, and inverted ETFs are dangerous, volatility and daily rebalancing can make them decline in value even if the trade is going your way. You can lose everything!
MachineGhost
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by MachineGhost »

We're only "trading in a range" if you were onboard at the peak in 2000 and invested no further.  There were two 50% dips since that time with another on the shelf.  Lesson: dollar cost average or time the market.
"All generous minds have a horror of what are commonly called 'Facts'. They are the brute beasts of the intellectual domain." -- Thomas Hobbes

Disclaimer: I am not a broker, dealer, investment advisor, physician, theologian or prophet.  I should not be considered as legally permitted to render such advice!
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by ochotona »

Am biding my time. I found a better short fund than SH, it's GRZZX. Just waiting, waiting, waiting...