Where is the money going?

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Where is the money going?

Post by lordmetroid »

So the Stock market is crashing, where is the money being funneled too. There has been a slight increase in Bonds but is this just noise or are smart money switching?
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Where is the money going?

Post by MediumTex »

Government bonds.

The government bond market dwarfs the stock market, so even if each dollar that left the stock market went straight into the bond market, it wouldn't necessarily create a corresponding rise in the bond market.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

MediumTex wrote: Government bonds.

The government bond market dwarfs the stock market, so even if each dollar that left the stock market went straight into the bond market, it wouldn't necessarily create a corresponding rise in the bond market.
Especially if most of those dollars are going into short-term bonds or bills, which I suspect is the case.
Bean
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Bean »

Desert wrote: And of course some of the money is just ceasing to exist.
debt payoff?
“Let every man divide his money into three parts, and invest a third in land, a third in business and a third let him keep by him in reserve.� ~Talmud
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred »

My Sep-IRA which is a static account, since no new money has gone into it for years, contains zero stock - only short and long term bonds and gold.

I am happy to report that it hit its all time peak value today and the gain doubled the stock losses in the other accounts.

This is the PP I came to know and love when I first started out.
MediumTex
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MediumTex »

Desert wrote:
Bean wrote:
Desert wrote: And of course some of the money is just ceasing to exist.
debt payoff?
Yes, some of that, but I was thinking more of the money destruction that occurs when an asset falls in value.
David Tice says that "it went to money Heaven" when referring to such reductions in the value of an asset.
Q: “Do you have funny shaped balloons?”
A: “Not unless round is funny.”
Greg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Greg »

Desert wrote:
MediumTex wrote:
Desert wrote: Yes, some of that, but I was thinking more of the money destruction that occurs when an asset falls in value.
David Tice says that "it went to money Heaven" when referring to such reductions in the value of an asset.
I like that. 

Of course when it's my assets that drop in value, I like to think of it as money that went to the outer darkness, where there is wailing and gnashing of teeth.
Gnashing like this?

Background: Mechanical Engineering, Robotics, Control Systems, CAD Modeling, Machining, Wearable Exoskeletons, Applied Physiology, Drawing (Pencil/Charcoal), Drums, Guitar/Bass, Piano, Flute

"you are not disabled by your disabilities but rather, abled by your abilities." -Oscar Pistorius
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

Money isn't destroyed in the stock market, it simply changes hands.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

If you buy a house for $500,000, but then the housing market falls and you have to sell it for $300,000, nobody else got your missing $200k. It just vanished. Poof!
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

MediumTex wrote: David Tice says that "it went to money Heaven" when referring to such reductions in the value of an asset.
I can hear Harry Browne saying "Money heaven?" in my mind's ear as I read this. I think he most have been reading an emailed question aloud, the same question as Lord Metroid's: (After the stock crash) where did the money go?
I can't remember Harry's answer.
🍍
Fred
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Fred »

Pointedstick wrote: If you buy a house for $500,000, but then the housing market falls and you have to sell it for $300,000, nobody else got your missing $200k. It just vanished. Poof!
That's one way of looking at it but If you bought for $500,000 and then when the housing market failed you sold to somebody for $300,00 and they held onto it until the housing market recovered and they could sell it for the original $500,000, couldn't you also say they got your $200,000?
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

No, you clearly say it yourself. The money doesn't disappear.
The money was given to someone else when you bought your stock or house or whatever, it was never destroyed. Then when you sell, you receive someone else's money.

Paying off credit is the only way currency can be destroyed.
Pet Hog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pet Hog »

lordmetroid wrote: No, you clearly say it yourself. The money doesn't disappear.
The money was given to someone else when you bought your stock or house or whatever, it was never destroyed. Then when you sell, you receive someone else's money.

I agree.  Let's consider a little hypothetical adventure:

Pointedstick has $500,000.  I have a house.  Lordmetroid has $300,000.  Together we have $800,000 and a house.

PS buys my house.  I get $500,000 (thanks, PS!).  LM covets PS's house, but keeps his $300,000 for a time when houses aren't so expensive.  Together, we have $800,000 and a house.

The housing market falls and PS is forced to sell.  LM says, "I'll give you $300,000 for it."  PS grumbles, but accepts the deal.  Final score:  LM, one house; PS, $300,000; me, $500,000.  Together, we have $800,000 and a house.  No money, or real estate, has been destroyed.

-----

I'm reminded of the classic puzzle of the three fellows who get a room for the night at a hotel.  They are told its $30 for the night.  They each pay $10.  The owner realizes later on that he made a mistake -- the room costs only $25 -- so he gives the bellhop five dollar bills to take up to the room.  The bellhop is a bit of a cad; he thinks up a scheme.  "I'll tell these three fools that the room is $27 for the night and I'll keep a couple of bucks for myself.  Nobody will be the wiser.  My boss gets what he wants, they get a refund -- what's not to like?"  The three travelers are delighted to each get a dollar back.  They've paid $9 each.  Add on the bellhop's $2 and that's only $29.  Where did the other dollar go?
jafs
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jafs »

That's a great puzzle, and it always takes me a bit to figure it out.

The trick is you have to subtract the bellhop's $2, and it adds up to $25, right?

$30-$5=$25.  And 3x$9=27-$2=$25.

What's really happening is that the three guys give the motel owner $27 in total, and the bellhop takes $2 of it.
Last edited by jafs on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones »

Pet Hog wrote: I'm reminded of the classic puzzle of the three fellows who get a room for the night at a hotel.
Oh man, I was just thinking of this too!
Reub
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Reub »

Who's on first?
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

Desert wrote:
Pet Hog wrote:
lordmetroid wrote: No, you clearly say it yourself. The money doesn't disappear.

I agree.  Let's consider a little hypothetical adventure:

Pointedstick has $500,000.  I have a house.  Lordmetroid has $300,000.  Together we have $800,000 and a house.

PS buys my house.  I get $500,000 (thanks, PS!).  LM covets PS's house, but keeps his $300,000 for a time when houses aren't so expensive.  Together, we have $800,000 and a house.

The housing market falls and PS is forced to sell.  LM says, "I'll give you $300,000 for it."  PS grumbles, but accepts the deal.  Final score:  LM, one house; PS, $300,000; me, $500,000.  Together, we have $800,000 and a house.  No money, or real estate, has been destroyed.

-----
Hmmm.... unless you turned around and bought a house with that $500,000 and it also fell to $300,000. 

But actually I think you're right and I was wrong.  It depends where one draws the boundary (control volume, if you will).  But I believe if one zooms out far enough, that's correct ... no money is destroyed.
I don't think the example is correct. If PS exchanges 500K for your house, then your house is worth 500K for a total of 1.3M. PS ends up losing 200K, you have 500K and the house is 300K for a total of 1M. Maybe I'm mistaken but the difference is the 200K loss in home value.
Last edited by buddtholomew on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
lordmetroid
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by lordmetroid »

Value and money are two different things. Money is objective and value is subjective.
The value is determined by the preference of a person. Someone who dislikes the house or have no need for a house will value that house much lower than someone who wants the house.
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew »

The house is marked to market.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool" --Feynman.
Pointedstick
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Pointedstick »

Yes, it depends on if you count the value of the asset as "money." If you do, then a decline in asset value is money destruction. It's ambiguous, to be sure. There are definitely people whose planned spending or purchasing power is based on asset values.
Human behavior is economic behavior. The particulars may vary, but competition for limited resources remains a constant.
- CEO Nwabudike Morgan