Stock scream room

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stock scream room

Post by Kriegsspiel » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm

I love stock, I've been investing in quite a bit recently. One day I hope to be a bouillonaire.
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes
buddtholomew
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by buddtholomew » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:14 pm
I love stock, I've been investing in quite a bit recently. One day I hope to be a bouillonaire.
Chicken :)
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:09 pm

buddtholomew wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:02 pm
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Chicken :)
Brings a whole new spin to "bull" market. :)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Gold. Absolute gold. O0

I sold a lot of indy positions yesterday, not knowing if stocks are going to go up for another ten years.
On my way down to 50% stocks (vp + pp), I’m hoping to capture some of the irrational exuberance.
forcemeat, ie stuffing, is etymologically related to ‘farce’. When you say something is a farce, a joke, you’re saying something is a bunch of stuffing.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:25 am

Guess I should keep an eye on the allocations if you guys are all rebalancing. I'm within a couple percentage points of bonds crossing the low end of the band.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:34 am

dualstow wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:07 am
I sold a lot of indy positions yesterday, not knowing if stocks are going to go up for another ten years.
On my way down to 50% stocks (vp + pp), I’m hoping to capture some of the irrational exuberance.
Big drop today. Ok, now my sale doesn't feel so bad.
forcemeat, ie stuffing, is etymologically related to ‘farce’. When you say something is a farce, a joke, you’re saying something is a bunch of stuffing.
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:03 pm

A little lower today, but still insane

Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am

I am seriously considering another strategic allocation change to lower exposure to stocks (currently 31% for me). On Aug 5th, I dropped from 35% to 31%.

I still have no idea what's driving the S&P 10% up for the year when Covid just keeps on stretching out longer and longer. Sure, there are some small # of companies benefitting, but I otherwise see major destruction happening or going to happen, like commercial real estate.

Am I missing something?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 pm

Cortopassi wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am
I am seriously considering another strategic allocation change to lower exposure to stocks (currently 31% for me). On Aug 5th, I dropped from 35% to 31%.

I still have no idea what's driving the S&P 10% up for the year when Covid just keeps on stretching out longer and longer. Sure, there are some small # of companies benefitting, but I otherwise see major destruction happening or going to happen, like commercial real estate.

Am I missing something?
The market can be generally irrational for long periods of time? Being far too reactive in one direction or the other?

Vinny
"I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats."
Cortopassi
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Cortopassi » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:41 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:04 pm
Cortopassi wrote:

Am I missing something?
The market can be generally irrational for long periods of time? Being far too reactive in one direction or the other?

Vinny
Quite possibly, Vinny.

But either way, I see the election being an "event" that will cause the market to roll over regardless of the winner. It's either going to be an oh shit, Biden is president and he's going to lock us down or oh shit, Trump is president and people are going to keep dying.

Either way, not good. And then a vaccine comes out, and people either don't take it, don't want to be first in line, or realize it's only 50% effective and are disappointed.
Vil

Post by Vil » Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:58 pm

Cortopassi wrote:

But either way, I see the election being an "event" that will cause the market to roll over regardless of the winner. It's either going to be an oh shit, Biden is president and he's going to lock us down or oh shit, Trump is president and people are going to keep dying.
Makes sense :D And indeed, I also plan to get some juice of some of my stock allocations. Today, it seems the S&P run is considerably higher than yesterday, and even though the trading day has not yet ended it would be based on considerably lower volume than yesterday. So, for me it appears there is a sort of discrepancy between price move and volume... All time highs are not that far away too .. IMHO a near term correction is inevitable, but let's see.

In any case (Trump or Biden) I'll be extremely happy when that's over, as this forum looks more and more as tribune for politic discussions, rather than a PP discussion forum. I recognize that PP itself might be a boring one, but still ...
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:40 pm

I'm with you, Corto, it's perplexing. I'm looking at nudging my overall stock % down about a bit as well. Where are our resident finance nerds when we need em?
I hated all the things I had toiled for under the sun, because I must leave them to the one who comes after me. Who knows whether that person will be wise or foolish? Yet they will have control over all the fruit of my toil into which I have poured my effort and skill under the sun. . . Nothing is better for a man than to eat and drink and enjoy his work.
- Ecclesiastes