Re: Stock scream room

Post by technovelist » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:38 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:11 pm
technovelist wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:44 am
ochotona wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:04 am
Bogglyhead panic build... forum titles. Everyone has a plan until they get stabbed.

Have we hit bottom? Time to buy?
Selling 100% stocks on a bounce
Why isn't this time different?
Do ppl who rebalance annually do anything different in this type of market?
Why not stand on the sidelines for a little while?
Bought Vanguard Total Stock market 2 weeks ago, now ready to sell, how do I do this?
Get out now or ride it out?
How much you lost/gain since Feb 20,2020 ?
The Black Swan is Here
VTI dividend drop
Dumping small value?
Any Retirees With AA = 100% Equities?
Guys I Rebalanced (Moved Monies Out Of S&P 500)
When to jump back in?
But I thought they were all going to stay the course? :D
This has got to be my favourite 2 posts of all time on this forum.

And what are we doing on this forum compared to the Bogleheads? Having fun talking about cute cats, dogs, and spitballing about conspiracy theories. Our quality of life is just so much better. What kind of dollar value do you put on that?

The Bogleheads forum is like your arrogant teenage son who thinks he knows everything about how the world works, only to have to come running to his parents when he's caught smoking a joint at school.

lmao my favourite one is "Guys I Rebalanced (Moved Monies Out Of S&P 500)." How TF does that constitute rebalancing? That's the opposite of rebalancing. It's capitulation.
The main difference is that the most arrogant Bogleheads are usually of retirement age.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am

ochotona wrote:
Bogglyhead panic build... forum titles. Everyone has a plan until they get stabbed.

Bought Vanguard Total Stock market 2 weeks ago, now ready to sell, how do I do this?
The Black Swan is Here
VTI dividend drop
Dumping small value?
When to jump back in?
We have a little bit of that, too. :D
loot "goods taken from an enemy, etc.," 1839, Anglo-Indian, from Hindi lut, from Sanskrit loptram, lotram "booty, stolen property,"fm. PIE root *reup- "to snatch"
curfew - early 14c., curfeu, "evening signal, ringing of a bell at a fixed hour" as a signal to extinguish fires and lights, ... from Old French cuevrefeu, literally "cover fire"
shekels
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by shekels » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:53 am

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am
ochotona wrote:

The Black Swan is Here
VTI dividend drop
Dumping small value?
When to jump back in?
We have a little bit of that, too. :D
I have not subscribed to BH.
So will someone let me know when they see this.
"I have Sold ALL my Stocks and Bonds and went totally to Cash."
Now I see they are going to devalue the Currency

::)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Tortoise wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:16 pm
Smith1776 wrote:
lmao my favourite one is "Guys I Rebalanced (Moved Monies Out Of S&P 500)." How TF does that constitute rebalancing? That's the opposite of rebalancing. It's capitulation.
Apparently as long as you have an “asset allocation,” you get to keep your Boglehead card — even if you time the market by dynamically shifting your asset allocation around. ::)
Lots of people on this forum do the same thing. I'm one of them in the sense that I shifted from the PP to a GB thinking that "prosperity" is likely to dominate, so overweighting stocks would be better in the long run.

However, we are on average much happier and less tempted to market-time than your average 100% stocks investor...geez, those guys must be REALLY crying into their soup. Can't say they weren't warned though.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:30 pm

I really respect David Grabiner over there. He's 100% stocks and some of those stocks are extra risky. He seems...ok. But he's definitely in the minority and he never recommends his portfolio to anyone else.
loot "goods taken from an enemy, etc.," 1839, Anglo-Indian, from Hindi lut, from Sanskrit loptram, lotram "booty, stolen property,"fm. PIE root *reup- "to snatch"
curfew - early 14c., curfeu, "evening signal, ringing of a bell at a fixed hour" as a signal to extinguish fires and lights, ... from Old French cuevrefeu, literally "cover fire"
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 pm

sophie wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:26 pm
Tortoise wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:
Apparently as long as you have an “asset allocation,” you get to keep your Boglehead card — even if you time the market by dynamically shifting your asset allocation around. ::)
Lots of people on this forum do the same thing. I'm one of them in the sense that I shifted from the PP to a GB thinking that "prosperity" is likely to dominate, so overweighting stocks would be better in the long run.

However, we are on average much happier and less tempted to market-time than your average 100% stocks investor...geez, those guys must be REALLY crying into their soup. Can't say they weren't warned though.
My GF has her entire 401k (read: life savings) in a S&P 500 fund. I've been telling her for 2 years she ought to diversify into some LTT, but she ignored my advice. Her retirement date is gonna get pushed out by years, unless she can find some rich guy to marry. Any of you guys interested? She's really cute. ;D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm

Nah, you enjoy. O0
I bet she has great teeth!
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:43 pm

dualstow wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm
Nah, you enjoy. O0
I bet she has great teeth!
Quoted out of context, for creepiness.
All of humanity’s problems with coronavirus stem from a man’s inability to sit quietly in a room alone.
- Blasé Kriegsspiel
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:49 pm

sophie wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

I saw some 100% stocks investors on Bogleheads say they were salivating at all of the bargains.
Since by definition they can't have any cash, I suggested they use leverage. >:D
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Oh, man, it was a non sequitur! 😂
technovelist
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by technovelist » Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:50 pm

pugchief wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 pm
sophie wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

My GF has her entire 401k (read: life savings) in a S&P 500 fund. I've been telling her for 2 years she ought to diversify into some LTT, but she ignored my advice. Her retirement date is gonna get pushed out by years, unless she can find some rich guy to marry. Any of you guys interested? She's really cute. ;D
If you don't rebalance out of gold in the next year or two, maybe she could marry you. :D
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pugchief » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:37 pm

technovelist wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:50 pm
pugchief wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:31 pm
sophie wrote:
Tortoise wrote:
Smith1776 wrote:

If you don't rebalance out of gold in the next year or two, maybe she could marry you. :D
Nope, my point was that if someone was going to marry her, it wasn't going to be me. To be fair, she knew this going in.