Stock scream room

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Stock scream room

Post by Dieter »

pmward wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm Not surprisingly, value is looking like it is starting to perk up relative to growth. Maybe those GB SCV tilts may actually start to pay off?
I do hope so.

Still waiting to rebalance; likely waited too long again (in 2908/2009 too early, since then, too hesitant on any of the shirt term dips)
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Dieter wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:21 pm
pmward wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm Not surprisingly, value is looking like it is starting to perk up relative to growth. Maybe those GB SCV tilts may actually start to pay off?
I do hope so.

Still waiting to rebalance; likely waited too long again (in 2908/2009 too early, since then, too hesitant on any of the shirt term dips)
Remember, it's also ok to rebalance in a DCA manner. It's probably a bit easier on the nerves for most to do it that way than all at once. Since I have a lot of experience in technical analysis, I have been using both technicals and the rebalancing bands to help me feel more comfortable in rebalancing, as I'm doing it at times that I see as decent probability potential bottoms (areas I see with decent risk/reward). I rebalanced yesterday, but I'm totally willing to rebalance again if the market keeps trending down... at the right price. Better early or late than never. It's very difficult to pick an actual bottom. Rebalancing though helps you to get back to even quicker in the inevitable recovery that will eventually happen.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel »

Hey check it out, stocks are almost only modestly overvalued!
8.png
8.png (40.91 KiB) Viewed 5135 times
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
l82start
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by l82start »

re-balanced Tuesday, more or less on scheduled and according to plan... tlt from 32% to 26%, vtsax from 17% to 25%, gld and cash held at 24% ish.. this is traditionally the month of the year i pay taxes, make contributions and fill tax exempt space, (to be done soon, no further re-balancing expected) hopefully it will all work out.. ;)
-Government 2020+ - a BANANA REPUBLIC - if you can keep it

-Belief is the death of intelligence. As soon as one believes a doctrine of any sort, or assumes certitude, one stops thinking about that aspect of existence
doodle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by doodle »

Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 am Hey check it out, stocks are almost only modestly overvalued!

8.png
Probably true before the era of zero interest rates and a federal reserve almost singularly interested in inflating asset prices. I wonder if these metrics are still relevant.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

l82start wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:35 am re-balanced Tuesday, more or less on scheduled and according to plan... tlt from 32% to 26%, vtsax from 17% to 25%, gld and cash held at 24% ish.. this is traditionally the month of the year i pay taxes, make contributions and fill tax exempt space, (to be done soon, no further re-balancing expected) hopefully it will all work out.. ;)
👍 Sounds ideal.
9pm EST Explosions in Iran (Isfahan) and Syria and Iraq. Not yet confirmed.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

doodle wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:57 am
Kriegsspiel wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:46 am Hey check it out, stocks are almost only modestly overvalued!

8.png
Probably true before the era of zero interest rates and a federal reserve almost singularly interested in inflating asset prices. I wonder if these metrics are still relevant.
Yeah the "risk free rate" is the center of the universe. All assets are priced against that. Any valuation metric that does not include the risk free rate is incomplete. It's also best to look at more than one valuation metric.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

My "rebalance indicator" has said yes now for 3 days in a row, but with bonds and gold now also falling, it'll all be from cash. So I would not be harvesting any gains, only using up dry powder. Thus, still not ready to pull the trigger. Everything is gyrating so wildly right now.

The other reason: I literally don't have time. I'm occupied at the hospital (again, not with COVID-19 cases, but elective procedure cases we are trying to get finished and out of the hospital ASAP) then coming home to deal with keeping my now virtual lab together, then in the evening it's family members, neighbors and friends who need/want attention, mixed in with administrative demands from work to submit this or that right now. I got quite a scolding last night from my cats because I didn't feed them until almost midnight.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

sophie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 am My "rebalance indicator" has said yes now for 3 days in a row, but with bonds and gold now also falling, it'll all be from cash. So I would not be harvesting any gains, only using up dry powder. Thus, still not ready to pull the trigger. Everything is gyrating so wildly right now.

The other reason: I literally don't have time. I'm occupied at the hospital (again, not with COVID-19 cases, but elective procedure cases we are trying to get finished and out of the hospital ASAP) then coming home to deal with keeping my now virtual lab together, then in the evening it's family members, neighbors and friends who need/want attention, mixed in with administrative demands from work to submit this or that right now. I got quite a scolding last night from my cats because I didn't feed them until almost midnight.
I know it's hard but try to get enough rest so you can remain productive.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

..and healthy!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sophie wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 am My "rebalance indicator" has said yes now for 3 days in a row, but with bonds and gold now also falling, it'll all be from cash. So I would not be harvesting any gains, only using up dry powder. Thus, still not ready to pull the trigger. Everything is gyrating so wildly right now.

My three demand that food be in their food dish at ALL times! If it runs out by morning one or more of them will come to lightly scratch my face to get me up to do my job!

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Hah! I was awakened by a cat staring at me from the hallway at 5:30 this morning. I turned my head away from her. Never heard her jump down from a high area to the floor. Five seconds later, her face was 1 inch from mine.
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise »

dualstow wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:42 pm Hah! I was awakened by a cat staring at me from the hallway at 5:30 this morning. I turned my head away from her. Never heard her jump down from a high area to the floor. Five seconds later, her face was 1 inch from mine.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

O0 She's a lot cuter.
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

For anyone that has been on the fence about rebalancing, tomorrow is probably a good day to do so. It is monthly options expiration. This selloff started the very first day after Feb options expiration for a reason. Dealers were positive gamma before then, and that pinned the indexes up. This month they've been negative gamma and pushing indexes down. Monday starts another fresh gamma slate. Seems like a high probability point for a rally attempt. At the very least, we won't have dealers pushing down on the markets next week. Taking what has been the biggest seller in the last month and resetting them to neutral is likely to reduce volatility substantially, especially since there has been a big uptick in bullish options trading in the last couple of days (especially the May expiration).
Last edited by pmward on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter »

pmward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 pm For anyone that has been on the fence about rebalancing, tomorrow is probably a good day to do so. It is monthly options expiration. This selloff started the very first day after Feb options expiration for a reason. Dealers were positive gamma before then, and that pinned the indexes up. This month they've been negative gamma and pushing indexes down. Monday starts another fresh gamma slate. Seems like a high probability point for a rally attempt. At the very least, we won't have dealers pushing down on the markets next week. Taking what has been the biggest seller in the last month and resetting them to neutral is likely to reduce volatility substantially.
Thanks. I've been thinking about it -- not fully Rebalancing, but put a bit more into stocks

Guess I have done homework tonight.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

pmward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 pm For anyone that has been on the fence about rebalancing, tomorrow is probably a good day to do so. It is monthly options expiration. This selloff started the very first day after Feb options expiration for a reason. Dealers were positive gamma before then, and that pinned the indexes up. This month they've been negative gamma and pushing indexes down. Monday starts another fresh gamma slate. Seems like a high probability point for a rally attempt. At the very least, we won't have dealers pushing down on the markets next week. Taking what has been the biggest seller in the last month and resetting them to neutral is likely to reduce volatility substantially, especially since there has been a big uptick in bullish options trading in the last couple of days (especially the May expiration).
I have no clue what it all means. :-)
Sticking to 15/35 bands. Better miss a small opportunity then do something I do not understand.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

pmward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:58 pm . Monday starts another fresh gamma slate.
I think I get it.
gamma
gamma
bannergamma.png (192.76 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie »

I was thinking to rebalance tomorrow too, and pmward's encouragment definitely helps. I've been in rebalance territory all week, and now that the hospital work is wrapped up (for now), I actually will have time tomorrow to figure it out.

I looked up the sequence of events during 2008-2009, just to get some idea of what might happen with gold and bonds. It went like this: 1) stocks fall (October), 2) 2-3 months later bonds rose (December), 3) another month or two later gold went up. Somebody watching carefully would have rebalanced 3 times during that period: once out of cash, once out of bonds, once out of gold. Something similar might happen here. It made me feel better about rebalancing out of cash.

Vinny: I switched my cats to meal feeding to head off food bowl bullying issues. My cats are sweet as sugar to me, but not, alas, to each other. Then one cat decided he wanted to go back to grazing, so I ended up buying him a microchip-activated feeder.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale »

sophie wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:40 pm I was thinking to rebalance tomorrow too, and pmward's encouragment definitely helps. I've been in rebalance territory all week, and now that the hospital work is wrapped up (for now), I actually will have time tomorrow to figure it out.

I looked up the sequence of events during 2008-2009, just to get some idea of what might happen with gold and bonds. It went like this: 1) stocks fall (October), 2) 2-3 months later bonds rose (December), 3) another month or two later gold went up. Somebody watching carefully would have rebalanced 3 times during that period: once out of cash, once out of bonds, once out of gold. Something similar might happen here. It made me feel better about rebalancing out of cash.

Vinny: I switched my cats to meal feeding to head off food bowl bullying issues. My cats are sweet as sugar to me, but not, alas, to each other. Then one cat decided he wanted to go back to grazing, so I ended up buying him a microchip-activated feeder.
I was just remarking to myself a few days ago how my 2 sister cats (two years old later this month) and the about 4 year old cat all cooperatively eat off the same flat plate with no issues.

Of course that leads me to a story. I got the two sisters as six week old kittens on a Thursday. Then I got the now about 4 year old, the next day on a Friday. I could make this story longer but this time I will not.

Anyway it was early June when I got all three. That time of year is different for me than it is at this time of year. Now even without all that's going on I'm home and inside quite a bit.

In June I'm out working, playing softball, outside until the sun goes down. Not much time spent inside.

Therefore it was not conducive to blending in 2 sister kittens with an adult cat--keeping an eye on them to step in in case any issues arose between them.

What was I to do? I decided to give the adult cat the full house to roam in while I kept the 2 sister kittens locked up in the bathroom for a week!

Finally a week later, on a Friday, I was home to work that day. Decided to try to integrate them.

I open the bathroom door while the adult cat is in the hallway. The two kittens walk out the door and then freeze when they see the adult cat. And, the adult cat is quite surprised to see these two creatures who she had no idea were also in the house! I think there was a tiny bit of hissing but the three of them soon got along quite famously.

This is all three of them just five days after that fateful hallway meeting. Now the all black one on the right is bigger than the black one in the middle!
35792938_10216393595938023_7713016469042233344_o.jpg
35792938_10216393595938023_7713016469042233344_o.jpg (88.55 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
35779216_10216393597178054_2422066855762984960_o.jpg
35779216_10216393597178054_2422066855762984960_o.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 5468 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
pmward
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pmward »

Haha, yeah gamma is a hard thing to wrap your head around. But basically market makers and options dealers need to hedge their exposure, and they do that using gamma. This is not me calling a bottom. It is totally possible we could get another leg down. I'm totally willing to rebalance again if that happens. But, since dealers make up such a large chunk of the volume every day (these are all algorithmic trades) them at least going neutral on Monday should help volatility go down a bit. Either way, if someone like Ugly Bird hasn't hit their bands yet then by all means carry on. But, for someone that was looking to do a rebalance anyways in the coming days, tomorrow is probably a good day for that. I would rather rebalance at the end of a negative gamma period than once we are back to neutral gamma.
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

pmward wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:29 pm if someone like Ugly Bird hasn't hit their bands yet then by all means carry on.
Thanks! :-)
I think the reason I didn't hit the bands (15/35 4x25 HBPP) and actually quite far from those (Stocks are lurking at around 20%) because I do not rebalance annually and do not even remember when I did last time. At that time I had to move around some LTTs and Stocks from taxable to non-taxable accounts so I just rebalanced as well. But meanwhile my PP was quite balanced itself despite I was adding cash to cash portion.
I guess in some near future I will have to rebalance if the stocks sink even more or Au skyrockets (or both). I have no clue how markets work and actually do not want to know, it is kind of boring :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

I like your attitude, Bird. :D Just for posterity, what is a field that fascinates you?
Ugly_Bird
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Ugly_Bird »

dualstow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:38 am I like your attitude, Bird. :D Just for posterity, what is a field that fascinates you?
I'm a Materials Chemist, loving science and... windsurfing! :-)
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Cool. I took a few windsurfing lessons as a teenager. Getting slammed into the water for tacking the wrong way was good prep for my stock portfolio this month.