Warren Buffett's a Shyster

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

Coffee
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Warren Buffett's a Shyster

Post by Coffee »

There's also a Warren Buffett-esque character in "House of Cards".  (Played by Simon and Simon.)
"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. "
murphy_p_t
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by murphy_p_t »

isn't he also a crony capitalist extraordinaire?
Kshartle
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kshartle »

murphy_p_t wrote: isn't he also a crony capitalist extraordinaire?
Has that term replaced fascist?

I think when you're a republican you're a crony capitalist and when you're a dem you're a fascist right? Please someone correct me, I can't keep up with the lib-con doo-doo head names. :)
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

I have read somewhere that if you remove GEICO from his results, he has underperformed the S&P overall.

In other words, he made one fabulous (lucky, brilliant, whatever) trade, and the rest is all hype.
Jan Van
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jan Van »

brk.a is at $201,000 today...
"Well, if you're gonna sin you might as well be original" -- Mike "The Cool-Person"
"Yeah, well, that’s just, like, your opinion, man" -- The Dude
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Libertarian666 wrote: I have read somewhere that if you remove GEICO from his results, he has underperformed the S&P overall.

In other words, he made one fabulous (lucky, brilliant, whatever) trade, and the rest is all hype.
I think you read wrong. Berkshire didn't even own Geico until '96, long after W.B. had established his track record.
🍍
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 »

dualstow wrote:
Libertarian666 wrote: I have read somewhere that if you remove GEICO from his results, he has underperformed the S&P overall.

I think you read wrong. Berkshire didn't even own Geico until '96, long after W.B. had established his track record.
He didn't buy it until 1996, but according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkshire_Hathaway):
" In the late 1970s, Berkshire acquired an equity stake in the Government Employees Insurance Company (GEICO), which forms the core of its insurance operations today (and is a major source of capital for Berkshire Hathaway's other investments)."
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow »

Ah I see. I'd missed that.
🍍