Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Discussion of the Stock portion of the Permanent Portfolio

Moderator: Global Moderator

User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:17 am

Agree completely on the Fidelity website. It's green and mean.
thisisallen
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:39 pm
Location: NJ and India

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by thisisallen » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 am

ochotona wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:30 am
thisisallen wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:34 pm
Fidelity will reimburse the fee that another brokerage may charge you to transfer funds to Fidelity. Just need to show Fidelity your statement from the other company confirming the fee/charge.
Where do present the statement? Online or at a branch?
Definitely online. Don’t know about the branch.

https://click.fidelityinvestments.com/? ... 9b3036dd62
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:15 pm

Will get cookies at branch
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 pm

Approved for Fidelity Visa card. Had to temporarily unfreeze my credit reports.
User avatar
InsuranceGuy
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 223
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:44 pm

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by InsuranceGuy » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:36 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:51 pm
Approved for Fidelity Visa card. Had to temporarily unfreeze my credit reports.
It's a pretty decent 2% cash back card but there is a 1% foreign transaction fee when traveling, 1% is better than the more common 3% fee but not ideal.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 am

I have a couple no foreign currency fee cards. Costco Visa and Capital One Venture.
User avatar
pugchief
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2857
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm
Location: suburbs of Chicago, IL

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by pugchief » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 am

ochotona wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 am
I have a couple no foreign currency fee cards. Costco Visa and Capital One Venture.
Your Schwab ATM card also has no FTF.
User avatar
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 3162
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 pm

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by sophie » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:24 am

There's no card that does everything unfortunately...

My foreign travel card of choice is Capital One Visa - no fees, decent currency exchange rates, and 1.5% cash back. Be sure to always pay in local currency, because the deals you get for currency conversion at the cash register are typically poor.

Citi Double Cash is another 2% cash back card worth considering.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:52 am

pugchief wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:52 am
ochotona wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:12 am
I have a couple no foreign currency fee cards. Costco Visa and Capital One Venture.
Your Schwab ATM card also has no FTF.
My EDC will be Schwab debit for ATM, Fidelity Visa in the US, Capital One Visa or Costco Visa overseas... and Amex when I rent cars, they have a great flat-fee optional auto rental comp/collision policy, if you crack up a rental car, you walk away without dinging your regular insurance. It's primary, so your insurer need never know about it. It's not liability insurance, though, so if you have an at-fault accident, they'll know about it.
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm

Oh... I need to swap my IAU for AAAU. 7 basis point difference in fees. $20 difference annually for me in my Fidelity HSA. This new no-fee world is going to allow everyone to migrate to the best-of-breed ETFs.
User avatar
Xan
Administrator
Administrator
Posts: 2309
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by Xan » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:21 pm

ochotona wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm
Oh... I need to swap my IAU for AAAU. 7 basis point difference in fees. $20 difference annually for me in my Fidelity HSA. This new no-fee world is going to allow everyone to migrate to the best-of-breed ETFs.
Are they different enough to avoid a wash sale?
User avatar
ochotona
Executive Member
Executive Member
Posts: 2818
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:54 am

Re: Stock and ETF brokerage costs plunge

Post by ochotona » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:57 pm

Xan wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:21 pm
ochotona wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:05 pm
Oh... I need to swap my IAU for AAAU. 7 basis point difference in fees. $20 difference annually for me in my Fidelity HSA. This new no-fee world is going to allow everyone to migrate to the best-of-breed ETFs.
Are they different enough to avoid a wash sale?
I'm not claiming a tax loss.
Post Reply