Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Left is Eating Itself Pt. II

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:21 am
dualstow wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:12 am
I don’t get it, Vinny. Is this chartered accountant humor?
That someone with such an education and present job could engage in such activities! Do you agree he'd NOT fit the stereotype of who you'd expect?

Vinny
TDS knows no distinction of race or occupation.
Of course I'm not saying you would act violently, but you yourself are a perfect example of a TDS victim.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:32 am
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
That someone with such an education and present job could engage in such activities! Do you agree he'd NOT fit the stereotype of who you'd expect?

Vinny
Of course I'm not saying you would act violently, but you yourself are a perfect example of a TDS victim.
I can assure you that the majority of people with his education and type job tend to lean far more to the conservative side than the liberal side.

With C-Span being my primary source of information - a source which is BY FAR the most balanced of any source of information ANYWHERE - where did I catch the infection which led to me contracting this disease?

As I prior stated, on election night Trump's words after his victory did not disturb me. It was only afterwards when the evidence came in of how he was going to govern (between Election and Inauguration) and how he actually did govern.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 am

vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
Having lived in Portland for twenty years, I can tell you that that pedigree produced EXACTLY the stereotype I would have expected. Those Universities churn out nothing but.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:34 am
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
Having lived in Portland for twenty years, I can tell you that that pedigree produced EXACTLY the stereotype I would have expected. Those Universities churn out nothing but.
Mark,
Is your avatar a tomahawk steak? Looks delicious. However, if that is the cut, it will soon be renamed as soon as the self-righteous thugs see it. ;)
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny
I can assure you that the majority of people with his education and type job tend to lean far more to the conservative side than the liberal side.

With C-Span being my primary source of information - a source which is BY FAR the most balanced of any source of information ANYWHERE - where did I catch the infection which led to me contracting this disease?

As I prior stated, on election night Trump's words after his victory did not disturb me. It was only afterwards when the evidence came in of how he was going to govern (between Election and Inauguration) and how he actually did govern.

Vinny
What exactly has Trump done as President that makes you oppose him?

I mean actual governmental acts only. Not tweets, speeches, or any other commentary. Just things like signing legislation, executive orders, or the like.
Before answering that directly I don't want to put my trust in someone who has revealed himself to be:

of low integrity

not an information consumer

not a reader

not analytical

always puts his interests ahead of the country's

poor judge of character (all the turnover in his administration plus all the indictments and convictions of those he hired)

poor impulse control

questionable intelligence (albeit high intelligence in certain dimensions of intelligence but not the dimensions of intelligence which most matter in his present job)

It adds up to about the opposite of the ideal person you'd want in his position.

I'll first do my research and get back to you to directly answering your question. I don't want to give a top of the head answer to that.

But I know you are a formidable intellectual opponent. Anything I bring up that I oppose you will find something to show that somehow I'm mis-interpreting or that is not what he meant or he was mis-quoted or taken out of context. But as I wrote that those all seem to fit in with what you described above as "Not".

I will give you a direct answer. Just not right now. In the middle of other things.

Vinny
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:44 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 am
Mark,
Is your avatar a tomahawk steak? Looks delicious. However, if that is the cut, it will soon be renamed as soon as the self-righteous thugs see it. ;)
It is. I only order them when I am eating one meal every other day. That one was in Catania, Sicily.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:04 pm

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:59 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:38 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:57 am
vnatale wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am
Libertarian666 wrote:
vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:

Vinny

Vinny
What exactly has Trump done as President that makes you oppose him?

I mean actual governmental acts only. Not tweets, speeches, or any other commentary. Just things like signing legislation, executive orders, or the like.
Before answering that directly I don't want to put my trust in someone who has revealed himself to be:

of low integrity

not an information consumer

not a reader

not analytical

always puts his interests ahead of the country's

poor judge of character (all the turnover in his administration plus all the indictments and convictions of those he hired)

poor impulse control

questionable intelligence (albeit high intelligence in certain dimensions of intelligence but not the dimensions of intelligence which most matter in his present job)

It adds up to about the opposite of the ideal person you'd want in his position.

I'll first do my research and get back to you to directly answering your question. I don't want to give a top of the head answer to that.

But I know you are a formidable intellectual opponent. Anything I bring up that I oppose you will find something to show that somehow I'm mis-interpreting or that is not what he meant or he was mis-quoted or taken out of context. But as I wrote that those all seem to fit in with what you described above as "Not".

I will give you a direct answer. Just not right now. In the middle of other things.

Vinny
Sure, take your time; I realize that you have other things to do too.
I'll wait to see what you come up with on governmental acts he has committed as President.
Thank you for consideration.

However, is it fair of me to ask the counter question of which of what he has done that you agree with him doing?

Vinny
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:28 pm

vnatale wrote:
dualstow wrote:
Mania comes in all flavors.
There are lawyers trying to murder cops with Molotov cocktails.

Plus, what Mark said about Portland.
Sam Bankman-Fried sentenced to 25 years
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:31 pm

The indignant woke, who imagine themselves to be righteously awake and laying the foundations for a more just and humane world, ought to pause—to draw back for a moment, and consider the possibility that they are, as it were, fast asleep, caught up in strange, agitated dreams: that they have become a mass joined in a cult of self-righteousness, moral vanity and privilege. One of these days, they will have to be deprogrammed and led back to the real world. Woke institutions will need to be fumigated.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/dawn-of-th ... 1596385455

- Lance Morrow, Dawn of the Woke |WSJ |Opinion §
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:31 pm

California’s Radical Indoctrination
A bill would establish a K-12 curriculum in the ‘four I’s of oppression.’
Conservatives and fair-minded liberals are alarmed that high schools are drawing up plans to teach the “1619 project,” the New York Times ’ revisionist account of race and the American founding, in history classes. The reality is turning out to be worse. The largest state in the union is poised to become one of the first to mandate ethnic studies for all high-school students, and the model curriculum makes the radical “1619 project” look moderate and balanced.

It’s not a coincidence that many radical left movements are infused with anti-Semitism. They posit theories of control by shadowy capitalist groups that often echo anti-Semitic conspiracy theories. One course outline tips its hat at this. “Students will write a paper detailing certain events in American history,” it says, “that have led to Jewish and Irish Americans gaining racial privilege.”
Those damn Jewish and Irish, eh?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/california ... 1598829048
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:29 pm

MangoMan wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:04 am
Petition asks Trader Joe's to change its 'racist' food packaging

@Cortopassi: You are Italian, your wife is Chinese. Were you guys ever offended by the logo Trader Giotto or Trader Ming? I know that my Chinese daughter in law is not.
Reversed! I didn't notice until John McWhorter pointed it out.
https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/20 ... ob_no.html
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:44 pm

From 1996 -- looks like this criticism of the left has been going on for a while! (And, for you fellow baseball fans, make sure you also read the second item (if you go to the URL).

Vinny

https://archive.fortune.com/magazines/f ... /index.htm

THE UNABOMBER'S INSIGHT, THE ODDS AGAINST ALBERT BELLE, RENEGADE ECONOMISTS, AND OTHER MATTERS.
(FORTUNE Magazine)
By DANIEL SELIGMAN REPORTER ASSOCIATE AMY R. KOVER
May 13, 1996
(FORTUNE Magazine) – CREEPSPEAK REVISITED

As evidenced in this space last fall (October 30), your servant has spent a lot of time brooding over the Unabomber's manifesto and now feels a need to return to this amazing document. Also to say something mildly favorable about its even more amazing author.

It is true that alleged author Ted Kaczynski Jr. is in many ways even creepier than the character one imagined while hovering over the manifesto. He turns out to be not only a loner and serial killer with serious personal-hygiene problems but also an utter hypocrite about money. To appreciate the hypocrisy, you need to return to the manifesto's long, involved indictment of a technological society in which nobody feels fulfilled because life is too easy and the physical necessities--food, water, clothing, shelter--have been taken care of. The argument is that even today people need the survival challenges once faced by families on the frontier.

And so, pursuant to this elaborate schema, Ted went off to live in the mountains in his own personally built cabin and eat the vegetables he'd grown and the rabbits he'd shot. But we also see that he kept running out of money and regularly received gifts or loans from his not terribly well-off brother, back home in technological Schenectady, New York, to get him through the year. The Unabomber as a remittance man does come as a surprise.

And yet there is one line of argument in the manifesto that holds up quite well on a second reading. One cherishes the Unabomber's passages on the psychology of modern leftism.

Mentioned briefly in our account last fall but not well reported in the media generally--possibly because it seems so anomalous in an enemy of the establishment--is the Unabomber's detestation of leftists. Presumably he came to this position via various unpleasant encounters on the campuses he had frequented. Whatever its genesis, his rage against left-liberal characters has led him to think a lot about their psychology and "totalitarian" (his word) impulses.

The question he zeroes in on is, What's really happening in the heads of all the politically correct fanatics who endlessly find new things to be outraged over? Why are they forever changing the rules about behavior that should be banned and terms that are unacceptable in talking about women, minorities, old folks, even pets? (He mentions the animal-rights activists who wish to replace that term with "animal companion.") His utterly persuasive (around our house) answer is that leftists have learned that these rules enable one to intimidate and control others. They are power plays. "Suppose," he asks near the end of the manifesto, "you asked leftists to make a list of all the things that were wrong with society, and then suppose you instituted every social change that they demanded. It is safe to say that within a couple of years, the majority of leftists would find something new to complain about...The leftist is motivated less by distress at society's ills than by the need to satisfy his drive for power."

Hey, just because you are depraved, creepy, and unwashed doesn't mean you can't come up with an insight now and then.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:34 pm

I’m off topic but Ted K was a tortured youth, both literally and metaphorically speaking.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am

The meeting was slated as a Minneapolis City Council study session on police reform.

But for much of the two-hour meeting, council members told police Chief Medaria Arradondo that their constituents are seeing and hearing street racing which sometimes results in crashes, brazen daylight carjackings, robberies, assaults and shootings. And they asked Arradondo what the department is doing about it.

"Residents are asking, ‘Where are the police’?” said Jamal Osman, newly elected council member of Ward 6. He said he's already been inundated with complaints from residents that calls for police aren’t being answered.
Heh.
Council member Phillipe Cunningham represents the 4th Ward, where a 17-year-old boy was shot and killed Monday afternoon. Cunningham said two of his constituents were also recently wounded by stray bullets while sitting in their home.

Despite the uptick of crime in his ward, Cunningham, who supports the creation of a new community safety agency to replace the police department, said it’s particularly important now to start instituting some of those public health-based approaches to violence prevention. Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.
:o
Cunningham also criticized some of his colleagues for seeming to waver on the promises they made earlier this year to transform the city’s public safety system.

“What I am sort of flabbergasted by right now is colleagues, who a very short time ago were calling for abolition, are now suggesting we should be putting more resources and funding into MPD,” Cunningham said. link
LOL
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:27 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:45 am
The meeting was slated as a Minneapolis City Council study session on police reform.

But for much of the two-hour meeting, council members told police Chief Medaria Arradondo that their constituents are seeing and hearing street racing which sometimes results in crashes, brazen daylight carjackings, robberies, assaults and shootings. And they asked Arradondo what the department is doing about it.

"Residents are asking, ‘Where are the police’?” said Jamal Osman, newly elected council member of Ward 6. He said he's already been inundated with complaints from residents that calls for police aren’t being answered.
Heh.
Council member Phillipe Cunningham represents the 4th Ward, where a 17-year-old boy was shot and killed Monday afternoon. Cunningham said two of his constituents were also recently wounded by stray bullets while sitting in their home.

Despite the uptick of crime in his ward, Cunningham, who supports the creation of a new community safety agency to replace the police department, said it’s particularly important now to start instituting some of those public health-based approaches to violence prevention. Recently, the council took more than $1 million from the police budget to hire “violence interrupters” to intervene and defuse potentially violent confrontations.
:o
Cunningham also criticized some of his colleagues for seeming to waver on the promises they made earlier this year to transform the city’s public safety system.

“What I am sort of flabbergasted by right now is colleagues, who a very short time ago were calling for abolition, are now suggesting we should be putting more resources and funding into MPD,” Cunningham said. link
LOL
Imagine my shock that getting rid of police means more crime. Who could have predicted that? :D
Tortoise
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Tortoise » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:06 pm

Reminds me of the movie Home Alone.

The Minneapolis City Council is like Kevin McCallister at the end of the movie, remorseful that he wished for his family to disappear and now wishing for them to return for Christmas.
sophie
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by sophie » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:02 pm

Paywalled article but the title pretty much says it all:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/california ... jem10point

I don't even know where to begin on this one:

- Trump's executive orders make him authoritarian, anti-democracy etc etc. But not Gavin Newsome's executive orders dislocating a huge portion of the California economy?

- Since electric cars cost a lot more than gas powered cars, I assume this will serve double duty to discourage legal & illegal immigration? Thanks Gavin!

- The state's electrical grid can't even support normal use during a heat wave. What happens when there's no juice to charge all these electric cars?

- Watch for car dealers to move to Arizona and Nevada, just on the other side of the CA border. And for used car prices in CA to shoot sky high.
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am

Cold fusion is fun but getting back on topic....

Suicide of the Liberals - the Russian revolution...

https://www.firstthings.com/article/202 ... e-liberals
Anyone wearing a uniform was a candidate for a bullet to the head or sulfuric acid to the face. Country estates were burnt down (“rural illuminations”) and businesses were extorted or blown up. Bombs were tossed at random into railroad carriages, restaurants, and theaters. Far from regretting the death and maiming of innocent bystanders, terrorists boasted of killing as many as possible, either because the victims were likely bourgeois or because any murder helped bring down the old order. A group of anarcho-­communists threw bombs laced with nails into a café bustling with two hundred customers in order “to see how the foul bourgeois will squirm in death agony.”
How did educated, liberal society respond to such terrorism? What was the position of the Constitutional Democratic (Kadet) Party and its deputies in the Duma (the parliament set up in 1905)? Though Kadets advocated democratic, constitutional procedures, and did not themselves engage in ­terrorism, they aided the terrorists in any way they could. Kadets collected money for terrorists, turned their homes into safe houses, and called for total amnesty for arrested terrorists who pledged to continue the mayhem. Kadet Party central committee member N. N. Shchepkin declared that the party did not regard terrorists as criminals at all, but as saints and martyrs.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:21 pm

pp4me wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:52 am

Anyone wearing a uniform was a candidate for a bullet to the head or sulfuric acid to the face. Country estates were burnt down (“rural illuminations”) and businesses were extorted or blown up. Bombs were tossed at random into railroad carriages, restaurants, and theaters. Far from regretting the death and maiming of innocent bystanders, terrorists boasted of killing as many as possible, either because the victims were likely bourgeois or because any murder helped bring down the old order. A group of anarcho-­communists threw bombs laced with nails into a café bustling with two hundred customers in order “to see how the foul bourgeois will squirm in death agony.”
How did educated, liberal society respond to such terrorism? What was the position of the Constitutional Democratic (Kadet) Party and its deputies in the Duma (the parliament set up in 1905)? Though Kadets advocated democratic, constitutional procedures, and did not themselves engage in ­terrorism, they aided the terrorists in any way they could. Kadets collected money for terrorists, turned their homes into safe houses, and called for total amnesty for arrested terrorists who pledged to continue the mayhem. Kadet Party central committee member N. N. Shchepkin declared that the party did not regard terrorists as criminals at all, but as saints and martyrs.
Tut, tut... something like that could NEVER happen in the US. We're special.
Libertarian666
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Libertarian666 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 pm

pp4me wrote:

So that's where Antifa and BLM learned their trade!
pp4me
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by pp4me » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:46 am

Libertarian666 wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:55 pm
pp4me wrote:

So that's where Antifa and BLM learned their trade!
I think they have cleaned it up but BLM did openly proclaim on their website that they were "trained Marxists" so yes, that is where they learned their trade. How much clearer can they make it? And you have to admit they have much of the "educated liberal society" is right where they want them.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:25 pm

Julie Burchill's book about cancel culture cancelled over Twitter row

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55331063
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:52 am

Woke teachers want to cancel Shakespeare because it’s about colonization and white supremacy.
- source: the usual tabloids, Daily Mail, Washington Times, etc
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:36 pm

On the NY Times' recent firing of a science editor who referred to the N-word:

https://youtu.be/Ya6oHUkG4tw
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:08 pm

Also regarding the above.
Executive Editor Dean Baquet had previously declined to fire Mr. McNeil over the two-year-old incident, saying it was clear the term hadn’t been uttered in a “hateful or malicious” way.

But that was before a tsunami of intolerance from the forces of tolerance inside the paper. Mr. Baquet announced last week that Mr. McNeil would be leaving after all because “we do not tolerate racist language regardless of intent.” Oops, it was universally pointed out that the Times then would have to fire itself. A Factiva search shows the paper using the word 1,271 times as far back as 1969 and as recently as a week ago, as it must in covering the world. The new standard, “a threat to our journalism,” was “a deadline mistake and I regret it,” Mr. Baquet admitted on Thursday.
- WSJ Opinion / https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-times- ... 1613170637