Jan 6 footage on Tucker

Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jan 6 footage on Tucker

Post by Xan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:54 am

Sorry, Vinny, I may have been unclear. I'm not asking for your opinion of Naomi Wolf. What is your opinion of what she is saying here?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:00 am

I wasn't asked for an opinion but I'll volunteer one.
I was predisposed to thinking of Naomi Wolf as a conspiracy theorist and rabid feminist.
Setting aside those biases, what she's written here is well done, well researched and her points are valid.
The released footage deserves an explanation.
She makes an important point that situations can be both real and hyped. That people can be both patriots AND insurgents because the line separating the two is neither distinct nor fine.
In a polarized, partisan world, there's an involuntary instinct to choose your side such that a situation has to be either X or Y, but it is possible that it can be both. The media doesn't help.

BTW, when Sacha Baron Cohen pranked Naomi Wolf on Da Ali G Show in the 90s it was pretty epic. And she handled it really well if you ask me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyLSstqMvH8
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:14 am

glennds wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:00 am
. . .That people can be both patriots AND insurgents. . .
As a thought experiment, I would ask whether an "insurrection" can occur when the focus of rebellion is an illegitimate government or an unconstitutional exercise of power. Just hypothetically.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:15 am

Xan wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:54 am
Sorry, Vinny, I may have been unclear.
Nothing unclear here.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:22 am

Xan wrote:
Sorry, Vinny, I may have been unclear. I'm not asking for your opinion of Naomi Wolf. What is your opinion of what she is saying here?
He didn't have an opinion on Naomi Wolf. Wikipedia did. It is my perception that Vinny has no opinion on anything and no ability to critically think on his own, only the amazing talent of copying and pasting.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:00 pm

glennds wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:00 am
She makes an important point that situations can be both real and hyped.
You're right, glennds, that was an important point in the piece, and it's an easy trap for people to fall into. Once you're seeing that there's hype it's tempting to dismiss everything, which allows others to bury events by turning them into hype.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:02 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:22 am
Xan wrote:
He didn't have an opinion on Naomi Wolf. Wikipedia did. It is my perception that Vinny has no opinion on anything and no ability to critically think on his own, only the amazing talent of copying and pasting.
Vinny relies heavily on experts. Earlier in this thread he said the historians will have the final verdict on this matter.

Why should we think about or debate anything? Just look up what the experts have said. And Wikipedia is about as expert as they come, right? It’s as if a discussion here is about who can cite the most weighty experts.

Vinny, I’m going to stop interacting with you in the Other folders. It’s not personal. And it’s not because we don’t agree on things. No one agrees with me; I’m very used to that. Your thought processes and mine just don’t work together for mutual contemplation and discussion of ideas. I’m going to try to refrain from engaging you and I’d consider it a personal favor if you would do the same for me.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:57 pm

Things are gonna get interesting when a ChatGPT robot delivers your pizza and asks you to vote for Biden. You wont be able to stop yourself from arguing with it. Who's the stupid one then
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:00 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:02 pm
DogBreath wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:22 am
Xan wrote:
Vinny relies heavily on experts. Earlier in this thread he said the historians will have the final verdict on this matter.

Why should we think about or debate anything? Just look up what the experts have said. And Wikipedia is about as expert as they come, right? It’s as if a discussion here is about who can cite the most weighty experts.

Vinny, I’m going to stop interacting with you in the Other folders. It’s not personal. And it’s not because we don’t agree on things. No one agrees with me; I’m very used to that. Your thought processes and mine just don’t work together for mutual contemplation and discussion of ideas. I’m going to try to refrain from engaging you and I’d consider it a personal favor if you would do the same for me.
It's like trying to box someone who never really moves or throws a punch but just keeps tying you up until you get frustrated and throw in the towel.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:12 am

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:00 am
. . . until you get frustrated and throw in the towel.
I've concluded that that's the point.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:10 am

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:00 am

It's like trying to box someone who never really moves or throws a punch but just keeps tying you up until you get frustrated and throw in the towel.
Duran-Leonard II No Mas?
Classic
O0