The Dems Set Some of the Darnedest Precedents

Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

The Dems Set Some of the Darnedest Precedents

Post by Maddy » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm

So when confronted with what they regarded as an illegitimate, incompetent president, top military officials of the democrat persuasion kneecapped the president and literally commandeered the government.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/0 ... p-thought/

Those dems set some of the darnedest precedents.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Dems Set Some of the Darnedest Precedents

Post by vnatale » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:48 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:08 pm

So when confronted with what they regarded as an illegitimate, incompetent president, top military officials of the democrat persuasion kneecapped the president and literally commandeered the government.

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/0 ... p-thought/

Those dems set some of the darnedest precedents.

I twice read what was at the URL. However, I failed to find any mention of any "dems".

Upon further research I did find this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/defense ... party.html

DEFENSE
Defense Secretary Mattis: ‘I’ve never registered for any political party’
PUBLISHED MON, OCT 15 20188:50 PM EDTUPDATED TUE, OCT 16 20189:33 AM EDT
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:31 am

I was exercising what is known as "independent thought." Give it a try sometime.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 am

Not that my endorsement means anything, but Vinny is one of the most non-partisan members of this forum. He even avoids being boxed into the "libertarian contrarian" box that is more common around here than in the wild.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a entrenched bureaucratic machine that might inappropriately withhold information from elected officials. But we're talking about the military. I doubt there's a strong Democratic faction in that five sided building.

I'm ok with bringing up Mattis up to testify. But even if Mattis did something bad, it's still on you as the accuser to prove Democratic interference. (BTW claiming other people aren't thinking doesn't count as proof).

Toning down the partisan rage-o-meter may be in order.
Last edited by joypog on Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 am

I'm hardly the first to put Mattis squarely in the democrat camp.

When someone whose conduct within a republican administration causes him to be directly confronted with the accusation that he is "some kind of democrat," and his response is that "I have never been a registered member of either party," the prevaricating nature of that response sort of speaks for itself. The point of the charge, which was the outgrowth of Mattis' nearly constant bridling against the policies of the republican administration he was supposed to serve (and in many cases, the active undermining of those policies) was that he was hitting for the other team.

Repeatedly throughout his tenure as Secretary of Defense, Mattis advocated for the placement of Obama- and Clinton-administration appointees in top DOD posts. One of those appointees, as I recall, had ties to the Muslim Brotherhood. As NATO was increasingly being revealed as a war-mongering machine controlled by the NWO and promoting the policies of the Progressive Left, Mattis affirmed his allegiance to it. In a number of instances reported to the press, he publicly demeaned his republican commanding officer and worked covertly within the uniparty establishment to undermine him. Mattis' stance on particular issues is something to which none of us is likely to ever be privy, but the fact that his political ideology caused him to commit repeated and substantial acts of betrayal toward the republican administration he committed to serve, amidst a nearly maniacal, no-holds-barred effort on the part of the democrat party to sabotage that administration, speaks volumes.

But in your perseveration over the title of my post, you're missing my point entirely. Which is that Mattis' decision to not only break rank but to utilize his position of command to sabotage a sitting president--and to potentially deseat him--amounts to a quintessential insurrection that has opened the door to possibilities that the democrat party has not bargained for.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am

. . .
Last edited by Maddy on Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:04 am

D vs R is the wrong framing for most issues these days.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:37 pm

Maddy wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:46 am
But in your perseveration over the title of my post, you're missing my point entirely. Which is that Mattis' decision to not only break rank but to utilize his position of command to sabotage a sitting president--and to potentially deseat him--amounts to a quintessential insurrection that has opened the door to possibilities that the democrat party has not bargained for.
Your post title says "the Dems Set some..." An active verb concerning a non-partisan figure and without any proof that the Democratic party was actively behind this alleged act.

I already granted this would be a bad precedent (if true). It should be investigated. The Republicans have the House. Let them do their job.

But rushing out to condemn a political party apparatus at this early point is just ginning up outrage over innuendo, especially when your response against pushback is to claim the rest of us aren't independent thinkers (admittedly a reasonable charge against me, but not Vinny).
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:31 pm

I twice read what was at the URL. However, I failed to find any mention of any "dems".
The lack of 'independent thinking' in the above response was the refusal to entertain a conclusion that is not overtly put forward in a published article. The idea that if there isn't an article that says it, it can't be true, is what leads to absurd conclusions such as "Klaus Schwab can't possibly be somebody important because I've never heard of him."

It is also why blanketing a forum willy-nilly with cut-and-pasted excerpts from articles and books doesn't make a persuasive case about anything.

We've had nearly a decade now of painfully partisan politics to assess who's on what base. Inference is a perfectly good way of coming to conclusions, especially when the political party at issue has defined itself so clearly. Fitting a square peg in a square hole ain't brain surgery.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:06 pm

joypog wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 am
Not that my endorsement means anything, but Vinny is one of the most non-partisan members of this forum.
LOL, why don't you ask him when the last time he voted for a Republican is.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:21 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:06 pm

joypog wrote:

Not that my endorsement means anything, but Vinny is one of the most non-partisan members of this forum.

I have this as part of my "political" email signature:

"Another independent moderate who voted for a Republican, a Green/Rainbow, an Independent, and two Democrats in the November 2004 elections."
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:21 pm
DogBreath wrote:
joypog wrote:

"Another independent moderate who voted for a Republican, a Green/Rainbow, an Independent, and two Democrats in the November 2004 elections."
So ~20 years ago. Have you voted D more recently and consistently? You are not an independent.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:16 pm

And if you don't agree Vinny, read this and ask yourself if Liz is an Independent bc she voted for Bill Clinton twice in the 80s

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/0 ... n-00081267
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm

Vinny prob has autism. He's like Data from Star Trek. That shouldnt be interpreted as an insult, its a talent/superpower in many circumstances, and he's a happy dude.

Throwing in some random content:
https://www.eurasiareview.com/16022022- ... many-oped/

https://uncaptured.substack.com/p/the-c ... were-right
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm

vnatale wrote:

DogBreath wrote:

joypog wrote:

So ~20 years ago. Have you voted D more recently and consistently? You are not an independent.

I really do not remember many of my votes aside from President. I never vote if it is a one person race. I'm sure I voted twice for our two time Republican governor - Baker, now head of the NCAA.

I believe a sign of one's independence is not necessarily how you vote but where you stand on policies. I am an Independent because I could never agree with what all the one party represents or believes. I have the State of the Union on now. I could never be one of those in the room of each party who behave collectively in herd-like behavior. (And, Biden's just turned this into the liveliest State of the Union I have ever heard!)

Tell me which of the Republican party's policies that you disagree with? Or, an estimate of what percent of you disagree with.

I am an extreme fiscal conservative. No party represents that.

In the end, I'd say what I heard coming out of the mouths of Democrats annoy me less than what I hear from Republicans.

Finally, I was on record that I'd never vote for Biden / Warren / Sanders / someone else whose name is now escaping me.

I voted for Tulsi Gabbard because she most strongly represented my beliefs at the time she was running for president.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:48 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:16 pm

And if you don't agree Vinny, read this and ask yourself if Liz is an Independent bc she voted for Bill Clinton twice in the 80s

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/0 ... n-00081267

Read it.

What is your definition of an Independent?

Describe all the ways an Independent acts / does not act.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:51 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm

Vinny prob has autism. He's like Data from Star Trek. That shouldnt be interpreted as an insult, its a talent/superpower in many circumstances, and he's a happy dude.

Not the way anyone who has met me in person has ever described me.

When I go here:

https://www.lifehack.org/805825/success ... ith-autism

I read this list:

People with autism can face any number of different challenges in life, including, but by no means limited to:

Difficulty in communicating with others
Troubles maintaining friendships
Obsessive interests
Repetitive body movements such as hand flapping or rocking back and forth
Delayed speech and language skills.

First two and last two do not apply. Middle one definitely does.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:34 pm

By the way when you made prior comments along these lines .... they led me to do two things:

1) Watched a season and one-half of Big Bang Theory. It was somewhat work to watch it as it represented to me what I've always thought TV shows were compared to movies - vastly inferior. The ever present laugh track was totaly annoyance. Did not know if it in front of a live audience or it was strictly canned laughter. Finally, Sheldon. The only way I bore any resemblance to him any way was not being the first to see things between the lines.

2) I also took this test:

https://aspergerstest.net/?fbclid=IwAR1 ... ZRf-64W0pc

After taking it below is the discussion I had with someone who works with autistic children. By the way ... he scored a 7. Will you take it and reveal your score? Anyone else?

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (47.53 KiB) Viewed 5386 times
snedgar

Post by snedgar » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:53 am

Thanks, Vinny. I like your challenge.
(My son does have Autism, though.)
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:22 am

Asperger's is an interesting subject that deserves its own thread.

It is generally described as "high functioning autism," consistent with the idea that autism presents on a spectrum. The idea of a spectrum (think linear) is probably a crude representation of what is really going on, since there are a whole lot of different presentations and because functionality has a lot to do with how well a particular set of abilities/disabilities fits into the cultural norm. A person who has trouble holding a job in a service-oriented economy may excel--and in fact define the norm--in a high-tech one.

In addition to the usual criteria, some defining characteristics I've noticed:

(1) Hypersensitivity to external stimuli--noises, touch, etc.--and the consequent need for a controlled environment.

(2) Inability to multi-task. A need to focus in on one thing at a time, usually intently.

(3) Inability to filter and process multiple simultaneous pieces of information from the environment.

Example: Can't sit down and do taxes until the room is cleaned up.

Example: Interpersonal interactions best when one-on-one. Interacting with two or more people at once becomes confusing and involves too much simultaneous processing of information.

Worst nightmare: A cocktail party in which one person is talking to you, the boss' wife is signaling for you to come over, there is loud music playing in the background, there are three other conversations going on within earshot, the smell of a woman's perfume is bringing back an unidentifiable memory from the past, a waiter with a tray has just approached and is vying for your attention, someone just told a joke that you didn't get and you're still trying to figure it out, there's a troubling waft of cigar smoke, etc.

(4) A great need for predictability. Difficulty adjusting to/accepting changes in plan. If an event is set for 3:00 and it gets put back to 4:00, many Aspies flip out.

(5) Difficulty planning and executing a series of steps toward a goal.

(6) A tendency to take things literally. A tendency to miss nuance and subtleties.

(7) A need to have social/emotional concepts explained in logical, left-brain terms.

(8) When confronted with an interpersonal problem (e.g., a marital problem), an Aspie will turn to research to solve it.

(9) Issues with trauma/chronic stress.

(10) Normal tone of conversation often viewed by others as pedantic.

(11) Inability to dance. Inability to understand why someone would dance.

(12) [For some] Inability to appreciate the real-world consequences of the pursuit of their special interests. (Think Bill Gates)
Last edited by Maddy on Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am

I got 30, in the "borderline indication" region. Interesting. I don't really identify with anything on Maddy's list, except for the dancing one.

I wouldn't say I have an inability to multi-task, but I do strongly prefer not to. And my filter is pretty good: I can (and will) focus on doing taxes no matter how messy the room is.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:40 am

Xan wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:27 am
I got 30, in the "borderline indication" region. Interesting. I don't really identify with anything on Maddy's list, except for the dancing one.

I wouldn't say I have an inability to multi-task, but I do strongly prefer not to. And my filter is pretty good: I can (and will) focus on doing taxes no matter how messy the room is.
I scored a 37, but my score would be considerably higher if the criteria were broadened to include the spectrum of characteristics I listed (all of which are recognized features of autism).

I'm suspecting that there is a qualitative difference between Asperger's and autism, with the characteristics I've listed possibly weighing more heavily on the autism side.

I'd note that the test, aside from focusing on too narrow a spectrum of characteristics, fails to take account of the fact that many aspies have spent a lifetime learning how to compensate for their deficits so as to be able to "pass" in the workplace and to successfully navigate the social world. I learned, out of necessity, how to multi-task, though it will never come naturally and will always be enormously stressful. Out of necessity I even learned how to do a cocktail party successfully--but it will always be an exhausting ordeal--and in most respects a well-rehearsed performance.
Last edited by Maddy on Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am

11 on the test.

Back to the thread topic.

Biden’s SOTU address: Way more self-aggrandizing and some lying on display from years past. Audience more lively than previous addresses. Seemed to be more calling him out than I remembered. It saddens me that so many of our politicians are so self-serving. All in all, mostly the same old crap, just more in your face now than in years past. Who swallows this crap anyway and then follows up with ’please serve me more’?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:54 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:09 am
11 on the test.

Back to the thread topic.

Biden’s SOTU address: Way more self-aggrandizing and some lying on display from years past. Audience more lively than previous addresses. Seemed to be more calling him out than I remembered. It saddens me that so many of our politicians are so self-serving. All in all, mostly the same old crap, just more in your face now than in years past. Who swallows this crap anyway and then follows up with ’please serve me more’?
As an independent who wants to lean Republican, I'd really like to see the Republican party play it's strategy differently. At least going by the Sarah Sanders response, I think the Independent swath of the electorate is just tired of the continued proclamations of existential doom at the hands of the radical left.
And if Trump shows up with "only I can save you", it will just generate a lot of eye rolls. I wish we could see some specific or even semi-specific talk about Republican policies that will bring about change. Maybe gift wrap it in some forward looking optimism about how good life would be under those policies. A lot of voters would bite on that more than "pick me because the other side is just that bad". Too Reaganesque?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:31 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:44 pm
DogBreath wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:09 pm
vnatale wrote:
DogBreath wrote:
joypog wrote:

I really do not remember many of my votes aside from President. I never vote if it is a one person race. I'm sure I voted twice for our two time Republican governor - Baker, now head of the NCAA.

I believe a sign of one's independence is not necessarily how you vote but where you stand on policies. I am an Independent because I could never agree with what all the one party represents or believes. I have the State of the Union on now. I could never be one of those in the room of each party who behave collectively in herd-like behavior. (And, Biden's just turned this into the liveliest State of the Union I have ever heard!)

Tell me which of the Republican party's policies that you disagree with? Or, an estimate of what percent of you disagree with.

I am an extreme fiscal conservative. No party represents that.

In the end, I'd say what I heard coming out of the mouths of Democrats annoy me less than what I hear from Republicans.

Finally, I was on record that I'd never vote for Biden / Warren / Sanders / someone else whose name is now escaping me.

I voted for Tulsi Gabbard because she most strongly represented my beliefs at the time she was running for president.
Can you explain how you are an extreme fiscal conservative but yet voted for Tulsi Gabbard? She does not differ from mainstream Democrats on fiscal policy much at all except in her objection to wasteful war spending. Her views on national health care and government intervention into free markets (esp financial industry) is pretty indistinguishable from other Democrats.