The Twitter Files

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: The Twitter Files

Post by vnatale » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:10 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (24.38 KiB) Viewed 6883 times
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 10, 2022 5:47 pm

Another drop

Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 3.46.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-10 at 3.46.27 PM.png (103.49 KiB) Viewed 6863 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:46 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/13/jack-do ... r=sharebar

TECH
Jack Dorsey admits mistakes at Twitter, and says the site still has problems
PUBLISHED TUE, DEC 13 20227:57 PM ESTUPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Jonathan Vanian
@JONATHANVANIAN

Twitter co-founder and CEO Jack Dorsey didn’t mention Elon Musk by name. But in a blog post on Tuesday, he made it clear that the company he once led still had significant problems then and now.

Dorsey said he was adding his voice to discussion around the “Twitter Files,” which Musk started releasing last week to support his claims that prior management was biased against conservatives in its handling of content moderation.

At the beginning of his post, Dorsey said he’s come to believe in three principles. Social media must withstand “corporate and government control,” the author is the only person who can remove content they produce, and “moderation is best implemented by algorithmic choice.”

“The Twitter when I led it and the Twitter of today do not meet any of these principles,” Dorsey wrote.

Musk, who closed his $44 billion acquisition of Twitter in October, has rolled back many of the old moderation policies. He’s also welcomed back former President Donald Trump, who was permanently kicked off the site under Dorsey’s leadership after the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Dorsey didn’t level any specific criticism at Musk. He said he personally abandoned his efforts to push the company in the right direction after activist firm Elliott Management got involved with the company over two years ago.

Read more about tech and crypto from CNBC Pro
Top tech analyst Mark Mahaney gives his best 2023 internet stock comeback plays

Apple vs. Microsoft? One outperforming fund manager picks his favorite — and explains why

JPMorgan says this resilient software stock can rally more than 25% even if the economy worsens

“This is my fault alone,” Dorsey wrote. “I completely gave up pushing for them when an activist entered our stock in 2020.”

Regarding Twitter’s decision to suspend Trump, Dorsey said he believes “there was no ill intent or hidden agendas, and everyone acted according to the best information we had at the time.”

Still, he said that “mistakes were made” and Twitter would be in a better position today if the company “focused more on tools for the people using the service rather than tools for us.”

Dorsey said that in general social messaging platforms shouldn’t take down content or suspend accounts, because “doing so complicates important context, learning, and enforcement of illegal activity.”

He promoted the idea of a “free and open protocol for social media” that isn’t owned by any one person or company as the only way to adhere to his stated principles.

“The problem today is that we have companies who own both the protocol and discovery of content,” Dorsey wrote. “Which ultimately puts one person in charge of what’s available and seen, or not.”

Dorsey cited Bluesky, a nonprofit organized by Twitter, as well as Mastodon and Matrix as emerging projects that could potentially live up to his view of what constitutes a free and open social media protocol. He said he would be offering grants to promising projects, starting with $1 million to Signal, an encrypted messaging app.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:06 am

glennds wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:56 am
I couldn't agree with you more, but I think you might be missing the point.
The discussion I'm prompting isn't as much about election claims as it is about the tendency of some (many?) people to rattle the Constitution sabre whenever something is not going the way they'd like. Or stated differently, it might be about the difference in what our Constitutional rights really are versus what many people seem to think they are.
Some days I think we're at the point as a society where we're ready to assert Constitutional right infringement when there's no parking spaces at the grocery store.

But thanks for bringing back some good memories. I always thought Mr. Roarke was the definition of suave.
Spot on.

Funny how things we heard almost 50 years lock in the brain forever...De plane, de plane. :-)
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:12 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:06 am
glennds wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:56 am
I couldn't agree with you more, but I think you might be missing the point.
The discussion I'm prompting isn't as much about election claims as it is about the tendency of some (many?) people to rattle the Constitution sabre whenever something is not going the way they'd like. Or stated differently, it might be about the difference in what our Constitutional rights really are versus what many people seem to think they are.
Some days I think we're at the point as a society where we're ready to assert Constitutional right infringement when there's no parking spaces at the grocery store.

But thanks for bringing back some good memories. I always thought Mr. Roarke was the definition of suave.
Spot on.

Funny how things we heard almost 50 years lock in the brain forever...De plane, de plane. :-)
That was an age where debonair older men were celebrated.
I gave the nod to Mr. Roarke over Captain Stubing from the Love Boat. But my mom thought Telly Savalas was the bomb. Who loves ya, baby!
I'd say Lieutenant Steve McGarrett belongs on the list too "Book em, Danno".
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:29 pm

I'm with you on both. Of course there's the quintessential line of that time. Bond...James Bond.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:39 pm

There are 45 tweets, be sure to see them all...
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:06 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (46.89 KiB) Viewed 6712 times
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:11 pm

In case anyone asks, I'm not taking bets. I Know Nothing! 8)

But I do enjoy the circus.

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 7.48.28 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 7.48.28 PM.png (150.71 KiB) Viewed 6707 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:07 pm

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (43.78 KiB) Viewed 6664 times
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:35 pm

It just keeps getting worse... is anyone able to defend any of this?

Maybe everyone is out Christmas shopping?
SilentMajority

Post by SilentMajority » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:44 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:35 pm

I'm sure there's a good reason for it all. I'm sure it was for our own good that large portions of the population didn't hear that the Biden's were completely corrupt and degenerate. If they had heard that, surely he would have gotten fewer votes and Trump gotten more. That would have been the American's picking a pro-America leader instead of the global elite picking a figurehead to rubber stamp the multinational agenda.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 pm

SilentMajority wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:44 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:35 pm

I'm sure there's a good reason for it all. I'm sure it was for our own good that large portions of the population didn't hear that the Biden's were completely corrupt and degenerate. If they had heard that, surely he would have gotten fewer votes and Trump gotten more. That would have been the American's picking a pro-America leader instead of the global elite picking a figurehead to rubber stamp the multinational agenda.

In case you did not know it ... I did not vote for Biden. I've intensely disliked him for over 30 years ... which started during the Thomas hearings when he revealed himself to have a caveman's attitude toward women and acted cowardly in his role as chair of the judiciary committee.

Why did not large portions of the population not hear about the Bidens? It was all out there and not hidden.

If they somehow would have been able to hear it ... would Trump necessarily have got more votes? There were many who did not vote for him in 2016 that were never going to vote for him. There were many who voted for him in 2016 who were never going to vote for him again. So for those voters who had voted in 2016 not for him what reasons did he give them for voting for him in 2020?

How exactly did the global elite pick Biden? He was barely hanging on during the primaries and until he got the endorsement from the black senator for South Carolina it did not look like he was going to end up as the nominee.

Finally, I will ask you a pointed question regarding January 6th.

Is there any defending Trump's lack of action for hours? Was there any way he was not guilty of gross dereliction of duty? Is this not a fireable offense, making you ineligible for any future public office?

If he had behaved like that in the military ... how would he have been treated?
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:54 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:06 pm

Is there any defending Trump's lack of action for hours? Was there any way he was not guilty of gross dereliction of duty? Is this not a fireable offense, making you ineligible for any future public office?

This is a thread about Twitter policies and the US government inappropriately influencing them. It's not actually about Trump or Biden.

If you'd like a place to share opinions about Trump or Biden, feel free to start a new thread, but don't derail this one.
SilentMajority

Post by SilentMajority » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:51 pm

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:54 pm
vnatale wrote:

This is a thread about Twitter policies and the US government inappropriately influencing them. It's not actually about Trump or Biden.

If you'd like a place to share opinions about Trump or Biden, feel free to start a new thread, but don't derail this one.
If unelected spy/police agencies so thoroughly influenced twitter, a totally new "media" company, imagine how completely corrupted all the major newspapers and so-called news stations are.

The American people get practically zero information from these organizations that the alphabet agencies haven't created or cleared for public consumption.

That's who's feeding you "the current thing" and why all the mainstream media are complaining about Elon and Twitter. It has nothing to do with the "n-word", all major rap stars use slurs in 100% of their music. Hollywood uses it movies without any qualms.

So-called Anti-Semitism rising on Twitter might be something the government wants stopped though as that seems verboten any and everywhere. That reason that's given might be a legit government program or simply a reflection of who controls the vast majority of the legacy media.

Bottom line, all the complaints from "journalists" and "news agencies" about Twitter are the shadow government collectively freaking out that they might lose complete control over the "truth". At least that's how I see it.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 pm

SilentMajority wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:51 pm

flyingpylon wrote:

vnatale wrote:

If unelected spy/police agencies so thoroughly influenced twitter, a totally new "media" company, imagine how completely corrupted all the major newspapers and so-called news stations are.

The American people get practically zero information from these organizations that the alphabet agencies haven't created or cleared for public consumption.

That's who's feeding you "the current thing" and why all the mainstream media are complaining about Elon and Twitter. It has nothing to do with the "n-word", all major rap stars use slurs in 100% of their music. Hollywood uses it movies without any qualms.

So-called Anti-Semitism rising on Twitter might be something the government wants stopped though as that seems verboten any and everywhere. That reason that's given might be a legit government program or simply a reflection of who controls the vast majority of the legacy media.

Bottom line, all the complaints from "journalists" and "news agencies" about Twitter are the shadow government collectively freaking out that they might lose complete control over the "truth". At least that's how I see it.

Twitter has not been "thoroughly" influenced by anyone. There have been a few isolated cases that have been focused upon. But no one has documented how this has been any kind of a pattern.

Therefore you have created a false premise regarding how corrupt major newspapers and news stations are.

All of them exist to make money and they make money by best serving their audiences, which is me, you, and everyone else.

No agencies create or clear information for public consumption.

Obviously I see this all differently than you see it.
SilentMajority

Post by SilentMajority » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:10 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:11 pm
SilentMajority wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:51 pm
flyingpylon wrote:
vnatale wrote:

Twitter has not been "thoroughly" influenced by anyone. There have been a few isolated cases that have been focused upon. But no one has documented how this has been any kind of a pattern.

Therefore you have created a false premise regarding how corrupt major newspapers and news stations are.

All of them exist to make money and they make money by best serving their audiences, which is me, you, and everyone else.

No agencies create or clear information for public consumption.

Obviously I see this all differently than you see it.
I can only assume you haven't been paying attention and/or know nothing about operation mockingbird. You must think it's a coincidence that 99% of the media have the same narrative all the time and even the same buzzwords and catchphrases, all the time. Also, they never do any investigation of any value.

You must have missed the shadow banning and outright banning of people questioning the election on basically all social media and zip of it being covered in legacy media.

I could go on and on but what's the point?

A few isolated cases? Are you trolling or serious? Dozens of FBI were working in high positions at Twitter, this is all admitted. Just imagine how many are at the legacy media and Facebook including cia. I guess Elon will have to buy those so we know too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ealed.html
SilentMajority

Post by SilentMajority » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:21 pm

Does anyone besides Vntale who's been paying attention to the Twitter thing since Elon took over, NOT think it was infiltrated and heavily influenced by government agents?

Serious question. Do you think all these "former" FBI in high places deciding the guidelines and who gets banned or suppressed were just there by coincidence? Was it a few isolated incidents or a pattern? Is there a reason there's been next to ZERO coverage on the mainstream news besides FOX?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:58 pm

It was interesting reading the posted actual letters vs. Taibbi's interpretation of them.

Spoiler Alert: You will find a lot of ex FBI, CIA and military types in the security and safety arms of large American corporations. Wonder why?

Option A: Vast deep state conspiracy to infiltrate every element of American society, including corporations

Option B: Corporations hire people with relevant experience and connections to security related government agencies

Fantasy Island chooses A, the real world chooses option B. Granted, A is way better for selling "news."

What I read...here's some accounts you may want to look into and if you have concerns as well, we would like to work those with you. The fact that twitter did nothing with several accounts (per Taibbi) should give you some understanding of the relationship. And, you bet those crafty FBI agents only suggested...because that is where the legal line is without a court warrant/order.

Spoiler Alert #2: Security types are paid and trained to look for rocks behind bushes. Don't be shocked when they do that.

Now was the fired senior guy CYAing when he got a new boss who didn't like the previous ways of doing business? Possible to probable for sure.

Having noted the above, Musk in just a few short weeks has demolished any credibility he had concerning free speech. Free speech is free speech including the stuff you don't like and Musk has proven himself to be a mirror copy of what he's supposedly against. I'd take him a lot more serious if he wouldn't have banned several lefty journalists and the kid/college student who tracks his and Bezo's private jets.

The only person who comes out free speechish is the private jet tracker guy. It appears he's politically an equal opportunity tracker.

The only thing Taibbi has dug up is that twitter (a media company) is/was liberal. Anyone stunned by that? I'm not. That's the case with most commercial media organizations.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:19 pm

SilentMajority wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:10 pm

I can only assume you haven't been paying attention and/or know nothing about operation mockingbird. You must think it's a coincidence that 99% of the media have the same narrative all the time and even the same buzzwords and catchphrases, all the time. Also, they never do any investigation of any value.

You must have missed the shadow banning and outright banning of people questioning the election on basically all social media and zip of it being covered in legacy media.

I could go on and on but what's the point?

A few isolated cases? Are you trolling or serious? Dozens of FBI were working in high positions at Twitter, this is all admitted. Just imagine how many are at the legacy media and Facebook including cia. I guess Elon will have to buy those so we know too.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ealed.html

Until you asked me the question I had never prior heard of Operation Mockingbird. From your question I assumed that it was something recent of which I was completely oblivious. Therefore once I Binged it I was surprised to find that it was something from long ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Mockingbird

"Operation Mockingbird is an alleged large-scale program of the United States Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) that began in the early years of the Cold War and attempted to manipulate domestic American news media organizations for propaganda purposes."

My main exposure to the media that you believe is so captured and controlled is by listening (twice) to the five major Sunday news shows. I don't find them at all to be as you describe above: "have the same narrative all the time and even the same buzzwords and catchphrases, all the time." Certainly Fox News Sunday is unlike the four others. There is some commonality among what events they cover each Sunday but usually each one will cover items that none of the other four cover.

Are you actually on Twitter? Or, do you go by what you read elsewhere regarding what is going at Twitter? I am on it semi-regularly and have my own impressions regarding what is there.

Getting back to the great cause celebre - The Hunter Biden laptop.

There is great outrage because Twitter would not allow this story to be distributed and that Twitter put on suspension the NY Post's Twitter account.

The impression is given that this now did not allow anyone to see this New York Post story.

However, am I to believe that everyone is too dumb to realize that all they needed was an internet connection to go directly to the New Post web site and read all that was there? That they could use their personal email to let others know about this story? Text the URL of the articles to others? In other words, people had both all kinds of ways to get to the New York Post articles and to communicate to others the existence of these articles.

I see one stat that says that 23% of U.S. adults use Twitter. I did not delve any further to see the extent of their use, i.e., heavy, moderate, light.

But Twitter and other social media is not the be all and end all of all information transmitted to the U.S. populace.

Why do you and others here know so much in spite of Twitter, other social media, and all the other captive media?

Why are you able to get this information while all others cannot?

I remain unconvinced that there is some grand group of people / entities in this country who so control us as you seem to believe.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:38 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:58 pm

Having noted the above, Musk in just a few short weeks has demolished any credibility he had concerning free speech. Free speech is free speech including the stuff you don't like and Musk has proven himself to be a mirror copy of what he's supposedly against. I'd take him a lot more serious if he wouldn't have banned several lefty journalists and the kid/college student who tracks his and Bezo's private jets.

I was going to ask you if you were on Twitter but now I am remembering that you are as you gave us some places to follow on Twitter regarding the Ukraine war.

To what extent are you on Twitter?

How much has your Twitter experience changed since Musk took over?

From my personal experiences I have two basic observations.

1) I use Twitter a lot for things related to my sports teams. That has not changed at all. Tonight at the end of an exciting double overtime college basketball game all the tweets I was reading were the same as if we were in 2017.

2) Now in regards to Elon.

This is a semi-private, semi-public forum. Anyone is allowed to join. But we do have an administrator who has taken on certain duties and responsibilities and with that he has taken the authority to make certain rulings and administer this forum in a way he believes is most fair and productive for all. If you grossly disobey his rules you risk being suspended or outright banned. If either happens to you it's because of your own behavior. If you flaunt any behavior that could result in either suspension or banishment .... then I think you are acting in a stupid manner. What is the benefit to you for the end result of suspension or banishment?

To bring this to Twitter / Elon.

I recognize that Twitter is a private company owned by Elon. It is "his house". it is NOT a public house. He makes the rules. He can get rid of me, you, anyone else for whatever reason he wants to do so.

So for all of you who do not believe that Elon believes in "free speech' (which again only applies to government not being able to regulate it but always seems to morph into people believing they can practice 'free speech" at any time and in any place with NO consequences) .... how much time have you spent on Twitter reading what people have tweeted regarding Elon?

I've been truly shocked by what people say (negatively) about him. They are not mild in these criticisms. They are quite harsh. I tell myself don't they realize whose house they are in? That he can decide to have them gone with no explanation? In other words, I find them to be quite stupid. I want to be on Twitter and don't want to be either suspended or banned so once I learn the rules I'm going to avoid certain behaviors.

I have regularly been suspended from both Twitter and Facebook for certain behaviors but once I learned what behaviors triggered those bannings I modified those behaviors to reduce or eliminate the times I am suspended.

In summary I find all this Elon / Twitter discussion to be overblown and an issue for people to use to push certain arguments which fits their own ideologies.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:44 am

LA times NY Times WaPo no longer make most revenue from selling papers and hiring aggressive journalists. They are oligarch owned and push those narratives. Greenwald and Jimmy Dore seem to be doing some independent work https://greenwald.substack.com/

"The Agenda" is literally and figuratively muzzling the public. Ignore inflation, ignore concentration of political and financial capital
Attachments
TRIPLEdemic-goalposts-moved.png
TRIPLEdemic-goalposts-moved.png (330.12 KiB) Viewed 6539 times
SilentMajority

Post by SilentMajority » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:22 am

Below is from the NYPost two days ago.

I'm sure this is just perfectly normal. It's some isolated incidents, or evidence that a lot of liberals worked at Twitters.

It's definitely not a lot of FBI agents working in Sr. roles at Twitter, transferring money to the company from the FBI budget to control the content at the site. It just looks like that because that's what all the facts show. But it can't be that unelected government agencies were compensating the company directly to process FBI "requests". It just looks like that because of the facts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and this is a story with new twists and turns daily, hard to keep up. It looks like anything but some liberals working there and acting in isolated incidents. It looks like pervasive FBI/gov't involvement in content moderation and banning with regards to anything related to their agenda.

And if it was happening at Twitter, imagine what it's like elsewhere where they can 100% control content (CNN/MSNBC/WaPO/ABC/NBC...FOX?)
Attachments
NYPost.png
NYPost.png (210.58 KiB) Viewed 6518 times
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:41 am

SilentMajority wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:22 am

Below is from the NYPost two days ago.

I'm sure this is just perfectly normal. It's some isolated incidents, or evidence that a lot of liberals worked at Twitters.

It's definitely not a lot of FBI agents working in Sr. roles at Twitter, transferring money to the company from the FBI budget to control the content at the site. It just looks like that because that's what all the facts show. But it can't be that unelected government agencies were compensating the company directly to process FBI "requests". It just looks like that because of the facts.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course and this is a story with new twists and turns daily, hard to keep up. It looks like anything but some liberals working there and acting in isolated incidents. It looks like pervasive FBI/gov't involvement in content moderation and banning with regards to anything related to their agenda.

And if it was happening at Twitter, imagine what it's like elsewhere where they can 100% control content (CNN/MSNBC/WaPO/ABC/NBC...FOX?)

I do not believe you have ever answered my basic question as to whether or not you are on Twitter. And, if so, what is the extent of your use of it.

Or, whether you are just accepting the characterizations of others as to what the Twitter experience is like and how much influence it has on both the world and you as a user.

All you have above, if true, represents an infinitely infinitesimal amount of what Twitter really is and then you can throw on top of that how few people who actually use Twitter and, thereby, are affected by anything in it.

Finally, in regards to this: " imagine what it's like elsewhere where they can 100% control content (CNN/MSNBC/WaPO/ABC/NBC...FOX?)"

Yes, it requires quite the fanciful imagination completely ungrounded in reality to believe that statement.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:54 am

Whether Twitter or the various news outlets, what productive things are we personally expected to do with the information presented (from the perspective of forum participants, not from the perspective of the media)?
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.