Mar A Lago documents

Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mar A Lago documents

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:03 am

Maddy, my anecdotal experience is in line with yours. To me, the most important thing is that so many people expect to be taken care of by other people or the government. Playing video games is so much easier than having to work to support yourself. Sad.

On the brighter side, I do know many younger people who share the traditional view of ethics and ambition and care about others. Thank goodness for those whose mantra is not “it’s all about me”.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:13 am

Maddy wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:29 am

Groceries have gone through the roof. Last week, I paid $6 for a bunch of organic celery and $10 for a 1.5-pound head of organic broccoli.
Kinda surprised you trust organic labeling to be anything more than a license to charge more. I've had more than one farmer tell me it's a scam of bureaucracy. This said, I've noticed how much better produce seems to look and taste in developing countries where mass farming is not an organized industry. Soil nutrient depletion is one example issue. So I'm a fan of farmer's markets more than organic labeling in large retail grocery stores.

I scored some spinach yesterday from a farmer's market that I used on a pizza and it was amazing how intense the taste of the spinach was compared to the grocery store, organic or not. The church of Alice Waters. I pureed some of the spinach with ricotta cheese and used it as the base, and then topped with grated mozzarella and the rest of the spinach tossed with garlic and olive oil first. Try it.
Maddy wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:29 am
As for the state of the economy, .....

If there is anyone here who has a contrary view of the economy, I'd sure like to hear it. (I could use some good news.)
I can't argue with most of your examples, so not necessarily a contrary view of the economy here. But since you asked for some good news, I can tell you with certainty that the price of lumber has come down significantly from the spike levels we were seeing last year and the year before. Not quite back to where it was pre-pandemic, but getting close.
Lumber is a major commodity so to me this is an indication that maybe not all the price escalations are a one way street.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:04 am

glennds wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:13 am
I can't argue with most of your examples, so not necessarily a contrary view of the economy here. But since you asked for some good news, I can tell you with certainty that the price of lumber has come down significantly from the spike levels we were seeing last year and the year before. Not quite back to where it was pre-pandemic, but getting close.
Lumber is a major commodity so to me this is an indication that maybe not all the price escalations are a one way street.
Gyrations in lumber have been due to supply chain issues. A similar whipsaw effect is happening in other industries as well.

The Uneducated Economist on YouTube talks about the lumber market a lot (he works at a lumber yard in OR). Interesting guy. https://www.youtube.com/@UneducatedEconomist
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:31 am

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:03 am

Maddy, my anecdotal experience is in line with yours. To me, the most important thing is that so many people expect to be taken care of by other people or the government. Playing video games is so much easier than having to work to support yourself. Sad.

On the brighter side, I do know many younger people who share the traditional view of ethics and ambition and care about others. Thank goodness for those whose mantra is not “it’s all about me”.

What percentage of the many younger people would you say fall into that category and what percentage of them if into the "so many people" above?

What would the similar percentages be when you yourself were the "many younger people" age bracket?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 am

glennds wrote:

The prices of some components in solar installations are also coming down.

Weren't we at nearly $5.00 a gallon gas less than a year ago and it is now at about $3.50?
Last edited by vnatale on Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am

glennds wrote:

Kinda surprised you trust organic labeling to be anything more than a license to charge more. I've had more than one farmer tell me it's a scam of bureaucracy. This said, I've noticed how much better produce seems to look and taste in developing countries where mass farming is not an organized industry. Soil nutrient depletion is one example issue. So I'm a fan of farmer's markets more than organic labeling in large retail grocery stores.

I scored some spinach yesterday from a farmer's market that I used on a pizza and it was amazing how intense the taste of the spinach was compared to the grocery store, organic or not. The church of Alice Waters. I pureed some of the spinach with ricotta cheese and used it as the base, and then topped with grated mozzarella and the rest of the spinach tossed with garlic and olive oil first. Try it.
Lucky you, to have a farmer's market operating this time of year. We're too far north for that. During the growing season, I have lots and lots of organic vegetables from my own garden, as well as access to a weekly farmer's market. This time of year, it's indeed a leap of faith when you buy organic, but the alternative (commercially farmed) is uniformly pretty bad.

Re your spinach concoction: Sounds great. When you say "the rest of the spinach tossed with garlic and olive oil first," do you mean whole-leaf (un-pureed)? Any cooking involved?

I'm experimenting with growing things indoors under lights (Spider Farmer LEDs). Lettuce and spinach are coming along just fine. If I could find some additional space, I'd like to try broccoli. For now, broccoli sprouts are as good as it's going to get!

P.S. If you want a really fantastic lettuce, try Red Butter Salinova from Johnny's Seeds. Absolutely freaking delicious, and gorgeous.
Attachments
transferred 060522 015.JPG
transferred 060522 015.JPG (2.8 MiB) Viewed 1368 times
Last edited by Maddy on Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:02 pm

Maddy wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:39 am

Re your spinach concoction: Sounds great. When you say "the rest of the spinach tossed with garlic and olive oil first," do you mean whole-leaf (un-pureed)? Any cooking involved?

Yes, the remaining spinach was whole leaf. So a spinach/ricotta base, then mozz, then whole leaf spinach thrown on raw (after being tossed with garlic and olive oil) and the heat of the oven wilted/cooked it. I had extra of the spinach/ricotta mixture so dabbed it on the top before going into the oven.
Attachments
IMG_2405.jpg
IMG_2405.jpg (613.84 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg (220.3 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg (390.24 KiB) Viewed 1370 times
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:04 pm

Looks fantastic! I missed the part about it being a pizza. One of the really sucky parts of getting old--eyes, and hence reading comprehension, go to shit.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:03 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:31 am
Mountaineer wrote:

What percentage of the many younger people would you say fall into that category and what percentage of them if into the "so many people" above?

What would the similar percentages be when you yourself were the "many younger people" age bracket?
My totally anecdotal observation:
In the small relatively rural area where my wife and I grew up (rural plus a few small towns of a couple hundred to a couple thousand people) and attended a 7-12 grade high school (500 or so kids) we knew of literally no one after graduating who did not move out of their parents home and go to work, college, trade school, get married or join the military. We knew several early teens (12-15) who had paper routes, made grocery deliveries, helped at the local gas stations, worked at the movie theater, and such; don’t think that happens much anymore. It did seem to build a strong work ethic early in life.

Currently we know of several adults in their 20-40s who still live with their parents; some have employment. I hear stories that the situation in the inner city is far worse. Percentage wise, I have no idea. We do hear stories from local restaurant and store managers who say they have a difficult time getting the help they need and that the people they do get really don’t want to work. Our daughter works in a small medical facility on the west coast. She says the physicians and RNs work hard; the MAs are another story, frequently calling out and trying to change their schedules at the last minute for “personal reasons”. She says it’s constant drama that the managers refuse to address because the potential pool to hire from is minuscule. YMMV.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:46 pm

There was an article about two weeks ago that highlighted a trendy new ethic among young professional people known as "work your salary" or something like that. The idea is that you work only as hard as you subjectively feel you're paid enough to do.

As a trend this might be new, but it's been going on for years. I vaguely recall posts on this forum where people well into their adulthood admitted to doing exactly that.
DogBreath

Post by DogBreath » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:28 pm

glennds wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:02 pm
Maddy wrote:

Yes, the remaining spinach was whole leaf. So a spinach/ricotta base, then mozz, then whole leaf spinach thrown on raw (after being tossed with garlic and olive oil) and the heat of the oven wilted/cooked it. I had extra of the spinach/ricotta mixture so dabbed it on the top before going into the oven.
That does indeed look delicious. Did you make that crust yourself or was that some sort of store bought premade shell?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:33 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:03 pm

vnatale wrote:

Mountaineer wrote:

My totally anecdotal observation:
In the small relatively rural area where my wife and I grew up (rural plus a few small towns of a couple hundred to a couple thousand people) and attended a 7-12 grade high school (500 or so kids) we knew of literally no one after graduating who did not move out of their parents home and go to work, college, trade school, get married or join the military. We knew several early teens (12-15) who had paper routes, made grocery deliveries, helped at the local gas stations, worked at the movie theater, and such; don’t think that happens much anymore. It did seem to build a strong work ethic early in life.

Currently we know of several adults in their 20-40s who still live with their parents; some have employment. I hear stories that the situation in the inner city is far worse. Percentage wise, I have no idea. We do hear stories from local restaurant and store managers who say they have a difficult time getting the help they need and that the people they do get really don’t want to work. Our daughter works in a small medical facility on the west coast. She says the physicians and RNs work hard; the MAs are another story, frequently calling out and trying to change their schedules at the last minute for “personal reasons”. She says it’s constant drama that the managers refuse to address because the potential pool to hire from is minuscule. YMMV.

All seems highly believable.

A rare piece of humor from me.

I was at a neighbor's house when I was 20 years old.

She frustratingly said to me, "How could you do that to your parents??!!!"

What was "that"?

I moved out of my house when I was 20 years old!

Prior to then I'd been in college but had then dropped out after my first two years.

I lived in a highly Italian-American (first or second generation Americans) neighborhood and you just did not move out of your house UNTIL you got married. Did not matter if you were 50 years old! You don't leave until you are married!

My sister and I were the only ones in the neighborhood to go against that norm.
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:55 pm

DogBreath wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:28 pm
glennds wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:02 pm
Maddy wrote:

That does indeed look delicious. Did you make that crust yourself or was that some sort of store bought premade shell?
I made the dough myself. It was a two day slow ferment, 66% hydration. The other pizza I made last night is my attempt at the Cherry Bomb, a pizza created by Ken's Artisan Pizza in Portland. Bacon, mozzarella cheese, marinated cherry tomatoes and crushed red pepper. I got into pizza making during the pandemic as something to do and a good way to stretch ingredients and have a little fun. Dough chemistry and technique is a deep rabbit hole I've come to learn.
Attachments
IMG_E2400.jpg
IMG_E2400.jpg (293.68 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
IMG_E2396.jpg
IMG_E2396.jpg (425.3 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
IMG_E2403.jpg
IMG_E2403.jpg (230.39 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:56 pm

vnatale wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:

I absolutely hate the blaming of younger generations for making the country to go to hell in a handbasket. Every generation has done that to the generations afterwards.

Having said that, I have witnessed some terrible behavior at my current job with employees in their 20s. When we had to do some layoffs last year, the employees in their 50s and 60s had the attitude of "I understand, the business is slow. Please consider me again if business picks up." The 20-somethings that got laid off threw what amounted to temper tantrums. Said we should have fired someone else besides them, that nobody understands how valuable they are and they hope the business goes down in flames.

I also have an acquaintance who just turned 30. She still lives at home and has no plans of moving out or getting a job. She says that she is not cut out for a 9-5 soul sucking job. I believe the words she used were "I am too delicate."

I also know 20-somethings with jobs and a basic understanding of business and economics. I have no way of knowing if there have always been people like the former throughout time or if there are actually more these days...or if the same percentage of people are just more vocal.
Maddy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Maddy » Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:23 am

From Martin Armstrong:
Snowden has pointed out the real scandal [relating to the discovery of classified documents in the possession of Biden] is the DOJ’s role in suppressing the information released about the Biden documents which predate the November elections. He points out that you can be sentenced to 5 years in prison per document. Of course, you will remember California Democratic Senator Diane Finestein wanted to have Snowden charged with TREASON for revealing classified information on the internet about how the government was ILLEGALLY surveilling all Americans conducted by the National Security Agency (NSA).