How did YOU vote???!!

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

How did YOU vote???!!

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:10 pm

I got out of my car at 1:37. I spent way more than usual reviewing the ballot and thinking about it. As a result I was inside for a full seven minutes, leaving at 1:44.

We had five referendum questions.

I voted NO to a carbon tax.

I voted YES to allow illegals to get driver's licenses.

I voted NO to some form of alcohol license expansion.

I voted YES to requiring dental insurance companies to spend at least 83% of their premiums on dental care.

I voted NO to a 4% Massachusetts on the excess of $1,000,000 in taxable income. All of us currently pay 5% no matter how much income.

For the candidates I voted for two Democrats, one Green-Rainbow, and two Libertarians. I had no idea who the last three people were but if we don't vote for third party candidates when we have the chance we'll be forever condemned to the two parties.

I did not vote for the five candidates who were running unopposed because that is just my policy. No contest if there is only one candidate.

I did not vote for two other races because the only choices were Republican / Democrat.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How did YOU vote???!!

Post by Xan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:10 pm
This one stands out as a curious one. Why wouldn't the immigration officials just be waiting at the DMV to deport them? I'm guessing that's somehow forbidden. Do you believe there should be no restrictions on immigration?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:30 pm

Voted "by mail" but dropped off the ballot at a polling location. I'm not trusting USPS with my vote.

On specifics, I'm rooting hard for election deniers to lose and for the open primary / ranked choice voting referendum. This referendum has bipartisan party opposition so I suspect there is something good here. As a constitutional amendment, it needs to go back on the ballot in 2 years so I can really do the brain damage then...but the current system is so f'ed up, I'm willing to give darn near any electoral reform a shot.
Last edited by joypog on Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:57 pm

joypog wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:30 pm
As for judges, just did the best I could after spending a few hours on the internet, with ties going to the incumbent (now that I work for the government, I do have bias for people who have experience).
I've decided that I'm really not a fan of judicial elections. The electorate is not in a good position to evaluate judges.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:18 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:57 pm
joypog wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:30 pm
As for judges, just did the best I could after spending a few hours on the internet, with ties going to the incumbent (now that I work for the government, I do have bias for people who have experience).
I've decided that I'm really not a fan of judicial elections. The electorate is not in a good position to evaluate judges.
I would consider voting for a constitutional amendment getting rid of judicial elections. I assume there must have been a good reason in the past (most likely blatant cronyism)....but nowadays I think most people vote on judges based on their endorsements...if they aren't lucky enough to have a lawyer buddy to tell them how to vote....so basically a more dispersed cronyism today.

I used to consult with lawyer acquaintance for my vote, but he's a hardcore progressive and I've become more moderate so I don't consult with him anymore (though I suspect we ultimately end up voting pretty much the same at least in the general elections).
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:03 pm

Xan wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:18 pm
vnatale wrote:
This one stands out as a curious one. Why wouldn't the immigration officials just be waiting at the DMV to deport them? I'm guessing that's somehow forbidden. Do you believe there should be no restrictions on immigration?
Agree - curious... I could see a pandoras box being opened

Would an illegal that drives and is at fault in an accident be treated in the same manner as a US citizen (ticketed, arrested or sued) or would the illegal just be deported.

What form of ID is needed to vote in Mass? Is a driver's license enough?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:42 pm

I continued my years long tradition of not voting! I feel good about my decision. As I do every election day!
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:50 pm

How did I vote? Voted in an enclosed booth, large touch screen, verified my choices on voting machine printed paper back up ballot - after waiting in a very long line of friendly people outside for 50 minutes and another 10 minutes or so inside. Biggest turnout I think I have ever seen and longest wait time ever.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:16 pm

My state is highly red. Multiple local offices had a single candidate that was from the R party...not the same I know, but seemed very communist like.

I wish there was more competition. I think there should always be at least two candidates, even if they are from the same party.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:49 pm

Xan wrote:

vnatale wrote:

No.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:51 pm

GT wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:03 pm

Xan wrote:

vnatale wrote:

Agree - curious... I could see a pandoras box being opened

Would an illegal that drives and is at fault in an accident be treated in the same manner as a US citizen (ticketed, arrested or sued) or would the illegal just be deported.

What form of ID is needed to vote in Mass? Is a driver's license enough?

None!

Still to this day ... all I do is tell them my street and my house number and my name and that is it!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:57 pm

This better describes the driver's license vote...

MA voters decide on millionaire tax, driver's licenses for those in country illegally

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ma-vot ... -illegally

Two of the most closely watched contests to be decided by voters in Massachusetts are ballot questions — one that would create a tax aimed at millionaires and another that would repeal a law allowing those in the country illegally to obtain a state driver's license.

A second question — No. 4 on the ballot — would repeal a new law allowing immigrants in the country illegally to obtain state driver’s licenses.

The measure became law after the Democrat-controlled Massachusetts House and Senate overrode a veto by Republican Gov. Charlie Baker in June.

Under the new law, those in the country illegally will be able to apply for a driver’s license if they can provide the Registry of Motor Vehicles with a foreign passport or consular identification document.

They must also provide one of five additional documents: a driver’s license from another U.S. state or territory; a birth certificate; a foreign national identification card; a foreign driver’s license; or a marriage certificate or divorce decree from any U.S. state or territory.

The new law is set to take effect July 1, 2023.

The law was a win for immigrant rights groups that had long pushed for the measure, framing it as a public safety measure. They said those seeking licenses will have to show they can properly operate a car and will be less likely to flee after a crash.

Critics, including Republican Gov. Charlie Baker and GOP candidate for governor Geoff Diehl, said the law could make it easier for those in the country illegally to be able to vote. Supporters say the law prohibits immigrants without legal permission to reside in the U.S. from being automatically registered to vote.

Sixteen other states and the District of Columbia have similar laws.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:38 am

Election denial? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2Ejqjz6TA

Speaking of hypocrisy, I voted all smaller-gov and conservative. Except for a new tax on millionaires, because I want an EV grant (CA).

There's a page of "Should judge X be approved" which is useless because they dont tell you the alternative and there's no info provided about the candidate.

Newsom and crew blocked ranked choice
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:36 am

boglerdude wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 1:38 am
Election denial? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2Ejqjz6TA

Speaking of hypocrisy, I voted all smaller-gov and conservative. Except for a new tax on millionaires, because I want an EV grant (CA).

There's a page of "Should judge X be approved" which is useless because they dont tell you the alternative and there's no info provided about the candidate.

Newsom and crew blocked ranked choice
I haven't seen public opinion polls on ranked choice but my guess is that a majority of Americans support it at this point. Without it a candidate with little broad support but a fanatical base will win, and that is dangerous IMO. So, another strike against Newsom in my book.

Regarding the election denial on the part of the Dems, it's obviously the case, and it will always be the case from both parties. It's at least a new normal if it wasn't always so. Trump's unforgivable step was to end our nation's traditional peaceful transfer of power. But he has only ever cared about himself. If it were otherwise, the Republicans would have won a senate seat or two in Georgia and controlled that chamber the last two years. As a centrist voter, a divided congress after the 2020 election was actually what I was hoping for.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:19 am

Not a great night for the R party.

Thoughts on my thoughts?

- If you want to win a competitive Republican primary in a deep red state, go for the Trump endorsement

- If you want to win a competitive general election, having his endorsement is close to political suicide
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:59 am

barrett wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:36 am
I haven't seen public opinion polls on ranked choice but my guess is that a majority of Americans support it at this point. Without it a candidate with little broad support but a fanatical base will win, and that is dangerous IMO. So, another strike against Newsom in my book.
I suspect that's the case. A open primary+ranked choice initiative is leading in my state in spite of party leadership in BOTH parties coming out against it....the margin is low enough that it might still lose after the mail in ballot, but it implies that the parties are losing their stranglehold on the process. Maybe the system will survive (they usually do), especially since it's a constitutional amendment so it will need to be voted on again in 2 years before becoming the law. But at least a legit glimmer of hope.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:52 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:19 am

Thoughts on my thoughts?

- If you want to win a competitive Republican primary in a deep red state, go for the Trump endorsement

- If you want to win a competitive general election, having his endorsement is close to political suicide
Interesting take. As fanatically supportive as Trump's loyalists are, I guess I see that his endorsement almost automatically gets a candidate to a 40% support level in a general election. For a Trump-endorsed candidate to lose, it seems that those who oppose him really have to show up and vote in droves. Was that the case yesterday? I don't know the answer as I haven't read or seen anything about voter turnout as compared to past midterm elections.

Maybe Trump gets a lot of people to the polls who would otherwise skip the midterms. But agreed that it wasn't a great night for the R party.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm

barrett wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:52 am

Kbg wrote:

Thoughts on my thoughts?

Interesting take. As fanatically supportive as Trump's loyalists are, I guess I see that his endorsement almost automatically gets a candidate to a 40% support level in a general election. For a Trump-endorsed candidate to lose, it seems that those who oppose him really have to show up and vote in droves. Was that the case yesterday? I don't know the answer as I haven't read or seen anything about voter turnout as compared to past midterm elections.

Maybe Trump gets a lot of people to the polls who would otherwise skip the midterms. But agreed that it wasn't a great night for the R party.

I predict that the answer will be that though the Republicans got the Supreme Court that they wanted .... the recent abortion decision by them cost the Republicans big-time in this election. How else to explain the results in the light of a highly unpopular president and high inflation?
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:47 pm

vnatale wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm
barrett wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:52 am
Kbg wrote:

Thoughts on my thoughts?

I predict that the answer will be that though the Republicans got the Supreme Court that they wanted .... the recent abortion decision by them cost the Republicans big-time in this election. How else to explain the results in the light of a highly unpopular president and high inflation?
I have seen other explanations thrown out. Maybe the predictions of a Red Wave made Rs lazy and not motivated to show up. Or maybe that got Ds out to vote. And some pollsters claim the polls never predicted a Red Wave and that was a narrative created out of nowhere.

The interesting thing is that even though the Ds showed up more, exit polls still show 75% of voters want Biden gone in 2 years. That is going to be awkward. If he runs again he will have lackluster support from his own party. If he doesn't then he becomes an immediate lame duck.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:56 pm

It appears to me political polling is no longer that useful as it is pretty inaccurate.

I'm not a conspiracy guy, but I like j's comment on the red wave was made up. The news cycle was getting stale, let's throw some excitement into the story. If your job is to sell news based advertising a blow out that is known in advance is kinda boring, right?

The blue anti-abortion wave, the red economy wave...probably both were total BS from the gitgo.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Wed Nov 09, 2022 5:16 pm

To be fair to the MSM, two things were true:
  1. There were major polling errors in both 2016 and 2020 in the D's favor. As such, it was reasonable to discount their non-apocalyptic numbers (which actually turned out pretty accurate).
  2. The president normally gets shellacked in their first midterm (9/11 excepted)
Both of those give legs to the red wave narrative. (Plus the chance to scare their audience and sell moar cliks!)

My gut feeling is that people just want boring normal (including pushing back against on the leftists). If the GOP gave up on Trump and Election conspiracy and just ran on culture wars and the economy, they most likely would have done quite well, even in the face of Dobbs.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:19 am

jalanlong wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 4:47 pm
I have seen other explanations thrown out. Maybe the predictions of a Red Wave made Rs lazy and not motivated to show up. Or maybe that got Ds out to vote. And some pollsters claim the polls never predicted a Red Wave and that was a narrative created out of nowhere.

The interesting thing is that even though the Ds showed up more, exit polls still show 75% of voters want Biden gone in 2 years. That is going to be awkward. If he runs again he will have lackluster support from his own party. If he doesn't then he becomes an immediate lame duck.
Maybe the predictors of the red wave are the same people who prognosticate so confidently about which direction asset prices are going. O0

Or it could be that the red wave theory (RWT) was an accurate take on voters' views six months ago and that the purveyors (talking heads) were unable to change their narrative in the face of new polling data.

To the point of Biden maybe not running in 2024, in my head I keep coming back to Kbg's "crap sandwich" description of what our choice is for president every four years. Ditto for lots of Senate & House candidates. It's quite obvious that politics currently attracts very few of the best and brightest. Sigh. And Biden as a lame duck doesn't sound so bad.
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:02 am

Everyone: Biden is the most cognitively-impaired politician to hold public office.

Fetterman: You to put hanHOLD hold to beer. My.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.
jalanlong
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by jalanlong » Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am

Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:02 am
Everyone: Biden is the most cognitively-impaired politician to hold public office.

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-unsu ... candidates
Kriegsspiel
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kriegsspiel » Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:23 pm

jalanlong wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:10 am
Kriegsspiel wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:02 am

https://babylonbee.com/news/nation-unsu ... candidates
LOL. Superb.
You there, Ephialtes. May you live forever.