Mask wearing / Returning shopping carts

I was generally opposed to mask wearing but return my shopping carts to a designated area after putting the food in my car
46%
I was generally opposed to mask wearing and leave the shopping cart near my car
8%
I supported wearing masks and return my shopping carts to a designated area after putting the food in my car
46%
I supported wearing masks but leave the shopping cart near my car
No votes

Total votes: 13
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 pm

I am reading a book which seems to be about philosophies. I think it compared one's tendency to returning (or not) a shopping cart to a designated area and one's position on wearing masks. Or, else both of those were cited and I made the connection / parallel on my own.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Mask wearing / Returning shopping carts

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:45 pm

The problem here is that some people think being forced to wear a mask is good for society and some people think it is bad for society.

I assume most people would agree that returning a shopping cart is good for society but if there were tyrannical shopping cart nazis forcing me to push it a certain way I would probably want to rebel.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm

whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:45 pm

The problem here is that some people think being forced to wear a mask is good for society and some people think it is bad for society.

I assume most people would agree that returning a shopping cart is good for society but if there were tyrannical shopping cart nazis forcing me to push it a certain way I would probably want to rebel.

Yes. That is for certain.

But some people do not return them because it does take time to do so plus they see that there are people paid to do so so why should they spend the time to do it.

Finally, an extreme example is if everyone returned those carts then all those cart gathering people would be out of jobs and the unions would not like that. Which would then cause less people to return those carts out of sympathy for those people who'd be losing their jobs.

Me? I ALWAYS return my carts. But if it resulted in those people losing their jobs I would still return them every time with the attitude of "let those people find better jobs".

I've never been a believer in low productivity or inefficiencies so to creates job. In the long run, it's detrimental to society to not push people to produce at their utmost capabilities.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:05 pm

vnatale wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:58 pm
whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:45 pm

Yes. That is for certain.

But some people do not return them because it does take time to do so plus they see that there are people paid to do so so why should they spend the time to do it.

Finally, an extreme example is if everyone returned those carts then all those cart gathering people would be out of jobs and the unions would not like that. Which would then cause less people to return those carts out of sympathy for those people who'd be losing their jobs.

Me? I ALWAYS return my carts. But if it resulted in those people losing their jobs I would still return them every time with the attitude of "let those people find better jobs".

I've never been a believer in low productivity or inefficiencies so to creates job. In the long run, it's detrimental to society to not push people to produce at their utmost capabilities.

I always return my cart as well. But it might be more efficient to have one employee walk around the parking lot gathering up carts than to have every person walk a good distance to a cart stand and back.

Also, the poll is complicated because people's takes on mask-wearing likely evolved over the course of the pandemic.
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:19 pm

Seems like a VERY false equivalence

Wearing a mask may prevent the spread of airborne diseases, whose effects can range from asymptomatic, to a week of flu-like symptoms, long term fatigue, or death

Left out shopping carts seems to have a quite low accident rate, although honestly I'm not up on the statistics and not bothering to look it up
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:24 pm

I see, so your thought pattern is that some people actually believe that not returning a cart is better for society than returning it.

I will have to examine this the next time I see it to see if I can find sympathy with their "good deed".

I actually go one step further than just returning them, I make it a point to grab other people's carts if I am going by them when they are done.
whatchamacallit
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by whatchamacallit » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:30 pm

I am starting to wonder if the two most common answers would be 1 and 4 for whatever reason. Interesting psychological experiment.
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:49 am

The people not returning carts arent busy, they're low-energy (lazy?) Thats fine, you are what you are.

I return the cart and grab others on the way. Neither the maskoids or pro-lifers make any effort to eat fewer factory-farm tortured animals.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:07 am

Xan wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:05 pm

I always return my cart as well. But it might be more efficient to have one employee walk around the parking lot gathering up carts than to have every person walk a good distance to a cart stand and back.

Also, the poll is complicated because people's takes on mask-wearing likely evolved over the course of the pandemic.

As usual from you .... two excellent points!
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:24 pm

I actually go one step further than just returning them, I make it a point to grab other people's carts if I am going by them when they are done.

Like I said ... I ALWAYS return mine but have NEVER grabbed anyone else's. But, in thinking about it, I cannot recall walking by anyone's so maybe I live in a high compliance area?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:09 am

whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:30 pm

I am starting to wonder if the two most common answers would be 1 and 4 for whatever reason. Interesting psychological experiment.

So far that has not proven to be the case here?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:11 am

boglerdude wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:49 am

The people not returning carts arent busy, they're low-energy (lazy?) Thats fine, you are what you are.

I return the cart and grab others on the way. Neither the maskoids or pro-lifers make any effort to eat fewer factory-farm tortured animals.

Probably true. I'm known far and wide for squeezing all I can out of time but I do exert the effort, i.e., use my time to do this small, not all that time consuming tasks.

It'd seem that the norm would be to NOT return them since we live in a high convenience society which generally means expending the least amount of time and effort as possible.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:52 am

I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school. I used to love rounding up carts because it was something different and it got me out of the store for a little while. So don't deprive someone of a little bit of joy by returning your cart. Just another perspective.

That said, I always return my cart. Just seems like the right thing to do. :)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:10 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:52 am

I worked at a grocery store when I was in high school. I used to love rounding up carts because it was something different and it got me out of the store for a little while. So don't deprive someone of a little bit of joy by returning your cart. Just another perspective.

That said, I always return my cart. Just seems like the right thing to do. :)

Exactly. And the precise words I use when I tell someone to go ahead of me in line when they are buying practically nothing as compared to my typical buying a lot due to the infrequent times I go.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:22 am

I voted 4 - I supported masks at the beginning - returning your cart is just the right thing to do

We have an aldi's store near us - to use a cart it is .25 - you get the .25 cents back once you return the cart.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuiCQGsYyY&t=17s

Neat concept - everyone returns their cart
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:37 am

vnatale wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:08 am
whatchamacallit wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:24 pm

Like I said ... I ALWAYS return mine but have NEVER grabbed anyone else's. But, in thinking about it, I cannot recall walking by anyone's so maybe I live in a high compliance area?
Another option not on your list... for those of us that shop frequently (produce, fresh food mostly), I rarely end up with more than two bags worth of groceries. So I put the cart back where I got it at the front of the store and hand carry the bags to my car. Of course, this doesn't work so well if you're buying jugs of milk, bottles of wine, or bags of dog food.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:52 am

Desert wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:38 am

Yeah, I like the Aldi cart system. I like Aldi in general!

I have been in their store exactly once.

I had read about Aldi and was quite excited to be nearby so that I could finally shop there without making an extra trip.

I think this was nearly 10 years ago - December 2012.

I loaded up my cart with items that were significantly cheaper than what I usually paid for them.

Pulled out my credit card to pay. I was told, "We do not accept credit card payment!"

Being someone who can go months on end without paying cash for anything I therefore had little cash on me that day.

I had to put things back and buy whatever I could with the meager cash I had on me.

I pointed out to the person that their adveristing flyer which I'd received should have somewhere prominently informed shoppers that credit card payment was not accepted.

Has this since changed?

if so, whenever I am in their area (there is only one in my area - about 15 miles away and not worth a special trip) I would stop in to buy some things.
GT
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by GT » Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 pm

vnatale wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:52 am
Desert wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:38 am
Yeah, I like the Aldi cart system. I like Aldi in general!
I have been in their store exactly once.

I had read about Aldi and was quite excited to be nearby so that I could finally shop there without making an extra trip.

I think this was nearly 10 years ago - December 2012.

I loaded up my cart with items that were significantly cheaper than what I usually paid for them.

Pulled out my credit card to pay. I was told, "We do not accept credit card payment!"

Being someone who can go months on end without paying cash for anything I therefore had little cash on me that day.

I had to put things back and buy whatever I could with the meager cash I had on me.

I pointed out to the person that their adveristing flyer which I'd received should have somewhere prominently informed shoppers that credit card payment was not accepted.

Has this since changed?

if so, whenever I am in their area (there is only one in my area - about 15 miles away and not worth a special trip) I would stop in to buy some things.
They have a point-of-sale terminal in the store near me - I know I have used a debit card -
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:02 pm

GT wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:40 pm

They have a point-of-sale terminal in the store near me - I know I have used a debit card -

I have never once used a debit card. They provide way less protections then do credit cards.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:49 pm

Desert wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:47 pm

Aldi accepts all major credit cards.

Note, I receive no compensation from Aldi. ;)

Thank you.

I WILL make it a point to stop in there next time I am near it.