Book Titles (updated)

dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Book Titles (updated)

Post by dualstow » Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:24 am

Here are some book titles mentioned recently (it’s Sept 2022) here in the Politics §
↳ adding some from the forum that might be from other sections…. work in progress 🚧

Feel free to post new titles here, or to make suggestions here. I’ll delete them after I add them to this sticky.
Long pasted excerpts have not been deleted. You can find them here, Vinny : Other Discussions/Book Talk -
. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12742
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
offtopic, there’s a new article from Tyler on TIPS O0 - https://portfoliocharts.com/2022/09/27/ ... ectations/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
🟩 Paolo Bacigalup’s The Water Knife [2016]

🟨 John Baldwin’s Last Flag Down: The Epic Journey of the Last Confederate Warship [2007]

🌰 Zvi Bodie and Rachelle Taqqu‘s Risk Less and Prosper [2011]

🟧 Mark Bowden’s The Steal: The Attempt to Overturn the 2020 Election and the People Who Stopped It [2022]

🟩 Eric DesLauriers‘ Investing Equanimity: The Logic & Wisdom of The Permanent Portfolio [2020] Our own Blue Ruin!

🟦 Michel Houellebecq‘s Submission

🟥 Roger Lowenstein’s Ways and Means: Lincoln and His Cabinet and the Financing of the Civil War [2022]

🟩 John Ross’ Unintended Consequences I knew it wasn’t ‘A Hotwife story’ [1996]

🟥 Eric Frank Russell WASP [2009]

🟨 Daniel A Sjursen's A True History of the United States. [2021]

🟦 Philip Thomas Tucker’s The Anatomy of the Last Stand Myth [2010]

🟩 Gerhard L Weinberg’s A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II 2nd Edition [2005]

🟥 Peter Zeihan’s The End of the World is Just the Beginning [2022]
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book Titles, Politics section

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:10 pm

Hilarious.
Dualstow sets up a thread where you can get book references without sorting through pages of spam. And completely on cue ...
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:54 pm

Xan, dualstow.

Give me a moment here. Here's an idea. Just as a test run. A small sample.
Can you set up an "opt in" group similar to the politics group?

Maybe call it the "Forum Nazi" topic. Someplace where bad forum behavior is ruthlessly chastised.

Not editing your quotes? "No soup for you!"
Posting pages of mind numbing pasted quotes? "No soup for you!"
Are you befuddled by easily discoverable three letter acronyms? "No soup for you!"
HTML and Markdown are scary? "No soup for you!"

Think of it as a petri dish. Could rational discussion survive in such an environment?

Science wants to know.
Because it dies in the alternative.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:30 am

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:54 pm
Xan, dualstow.

Give me a moment here. Here's an idea. Just as a test run. A small sample.

Maybe call it the "Forum Nazi" topic. Someplace where bad forum behavior is ruthlessly chastised.

Not editing your quotes? "No soup for you!"
Posting pages of mind numbing pasted quotes? "No soup for you!"
Are you befuddled by easily discoverable three letter acronyms? "No soup for you!"
HTML and Markdown are scary? "No soup for you!"

O0 How, specifically would we execute the “no soup for you” part? Delete the overpasting, you mean? Or you mean lock a member out of a section? I don’t know if the latter exists in the forum programming.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:29 am

dualstow wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:30 am
Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:54 pm

How, specifically would we execute the “no soup for you” part? Delete the overpasting, you mean? Or you mean lock a member out of a section? I don’t know if the latter exists in the forum programming.
It looks like you've come up with a solution that works great. Thank you.
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Book Titles (updated)

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:37 pm

Yes, keep an eye on the OP as I will update it whenever I can.

Originally, I was going to lock it, just the way most Stickies are. For now, I may as well let title requests and ideas come in because it will bump the thread and make people aware that it exists.

I do dream of a bot that will clean up pages full of pastes and repastes of the entire convo.
Admittedly, it’s a little ironic being a thread nazi on a page dedicated to books, some of which will invariably touch on our tenuous liberties, but rest assured I will only do that in this thread.
RIP Marcello Gandini
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:15 pm

Not a big deal. I feel I have driven a handful of people away without trying, well before moderating. Don’t want to go all bogleheads on people. :-)
Also, I remember at a least a few members saying it’s convenient to hit the quote button because they’re accessing the forum from a phone. I get that.
RIP Marcello Gandini
Mark Leavy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mark Leavy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:25 pm

dualstow, after you finish reading Unintended Consequences: A Hotwife Story, make sure and post a review.

From the Amazon description:
But what do they say? A march of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I’d always enjoyed other guys admiring my wife’s sexy body, and I’d even had one or two secret daydreams of things going further. But there was no way on earth either of us could know how this little game of dress up would have such far reaching consequences for our marriage.
There, but for the grace of god...
dualstow
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by dualstow » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:03 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:25 pm
dualstow, after you finish reading Unintended Consequences: A Hotwife Story, make sure and post a review.

From the Amazon description:
But what do they say? A march of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I’d always enjoyed other guys admiring my wife’s sexy body, and I’d even had one or two secret daydreams of things going further. But there was no way on earth either of us could know how this little game of dress up would have such far reaching consequences for our marriage.
There, but for the grace of god...
I intend to run through the whole Hotwife series, time allowing.
RIP Marcello Gandini
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:56 pm

Tonight started reading the book by the person interviewed by Lex.

The Network State: How To Start a New Country Kindle Edition
by Balaji Srinivasan (Author)

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09VPKZR3G/ ... l_huc_item

Below is an excerpt from his first chapter:

The Network State in One Thousand Words

Technology has allowed us to start new companies, new communities, and new currencies. But can we use it to create new cities, or even new countries? A key concept is to go cloud first, land last — but not land never — by starting with an online community and then materializing it into the physical world. We get there in seven steps:

Found a startup society. This is simply an online community with aspirations of something greater. Anyone can found one, just like anyone can found a company or cryptocurrency.2 And the founder’s legitimacy comes from whether people opt to follow them.

Organize it into a group capable of collective action. Given a sufficiently dedicated online community, the next step is to organize it into a network union. Unlike a social network, a network union has a purpose: it coordinates its members for their mutual benefit. And unlike a traditional union, a network union is not set up solely in opposition to a particular corporation, so it can take a variety of different collective actions.3 Unionization is a key step because it turns an otherwise ineffective online community into a group of people working together for a common cause.

Build trust offline and a cryptoeconomy online. Begin holding in-person meetups in the physical world, of increasing scale and duration, while simultaneously building an internal economy using cryptocurrency.

Crowdfund physical nodes. Once sufficient trust has been built and funds have been accumulated, start crowdfunding apartments, houses, and even towns to bring digital citizens into the physical world within real co-living communities.

Digitally connect physical communities. Link these physical nodes together into a network archipelago, a set of digitally connected physical territories distributed around the world. Nodes of the network archipelago range from one-person apartments to in-person communities of arbitrary size. Physical access is granted by holding a web3 cryptopassport, and mixed reality is used to seamlessly link the online and offline worlds.

Conduct an on-chain census. As the society scales, run a cryptographically auditable census to demonstrate the growing size of your population, income, and real-estate footprint. This is how a startup society proves traction in the face of skepticism.

Gain diplomatic recognition. A startup society with sufficient scale should eventually be able to negotiate for diplomatic recognition from at least one pre-existing government, and from there gradually increased sovereignty, slowly becoming a true network state.

The key idea is to populate the land from the cloud, and do so all over the earth. Unlike an ideologically disaligned and geographically centralized legacy state, which packs millions of disputants in one place, a network state is ideologically aligned but geographically decentralized. The people are spread around the world in clusters of varying size, but their hearts are in one place.

As the population and economy of a startup society grow comparable to that of a legacy state, with millions of citizens and billions in income, it should eventually4 be able to attain recognition from existing sovereigns — and ultimately the United Nations — just as Bitcoin has now become a bona fide national currency.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:44 pm

Seems like a most appropriate topic to put this here.

Like me you can also get a free three months of Amazon Unlimited.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (39.56 KiB) Viewed 4952 times

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/hz/bo ... _3&ie=UTF8
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."