Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Anybody got Beef with the Dispatch, Jonah Goldberg, David French etc.

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 am

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:34 pm

Mark Leavy wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:46 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:39 pm

We are waiting I Shrugged...being against something without something you are for is generally not all that helpful in life.

At least in my life time I think, with the exception of the 2nd Gulf War and staying in Afghanistan WAY too long, US politicians of both parties have made good calls on the use of force.

So, you are younger than Vietnam? Interesting.

Nope, as a little kid I remember Vietnam and astronauts on TV constantly.

The two are nothing alike, but in one way I think Vietnam and Afghanistan are similar. Good idea initially, and stayed there way too long.

My basic take on Vietnam is that it was a product of the times and those times were the Cold War which was the context (right or wrong) for literally everything when it came to international relations.

I'll admit to two deep biases relevant to this stuff...I am rabidly anti-communist/Russian leftovers and Islamic extremist. Evil does exist and to turn a phrase of Lenin's there were (and are) a lot of useful idiots.

I also think there is quite a bit of hubris that has gathered over the years we've been a super power. I completely agree with the anti-neocons that there should be a cold hard appraisal of American interests in whatever we are contemplating getting ourselves into and where it isn't there we shouldn't get involved.

Where I disagree is they seem to have a presumption that engaging in "moral based" foreign policy/conflicts is bad or wrong. This would be a far more jacked up world if that was how the US behaved.

The Civil War, WW 2 and the Cold War I think are pretty tough to argue against as not having been worth it...and they all had a high degree of morality as a reason for getting engaged. Of course those are the poster children for "the good war" and we all know we've gotten into wars that didn't have much of that going for them. Mexican, Indian, most of the imperialist wars of the early 1900s, Gulf War 2.

Still waiting for an answer to my question, anybody?

Korean War (Conflict?) not on either of your lists?
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:59 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 am
Actually, my initial reply to Mark was a list of wars with a +/- next to them.

I put the Korean war in the plus column. It was the first time the democracies of the world said enough is enough to communist land grabs by force.

Unfortunately, Nazi Germany completely warps a larger perspective of history from the time Hitler came to power to the war's end. The Soviets were every bit as bad as Hitler and actually took over more territory geographically than Hitler did pre WW2.. Stalin had plans to invade Germany and wargamed it a couple of times. Hitler just beat him to the punch.
Last edited by Kbg on Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:16 am

Kbg wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:59 am

vnatale wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:41 am

Actually, my initial reply to Mark was a list of wars with a +/- next to them.

I put the Korean war in the plus column. It was the first time the democracies of the world said enough is enough to communist land grabs by force.

Unfortunately, Nazi Germany completely warps a larger perspective of history from the time Hitler came to power to the war's end. The Soviets were every bit as bad as Hitler and actually took over my territory geographically than Hitler did pre WW2.. Stalin had plans to invade Germany and wargamed it a couple of times. Hitler just beat him to the punch.

I have read a lot regarding World War II and I do not believe that I have ever prior read that. I have read a lot that Stalin was repeatedly warned that Germany was going to attack but he consistently ignored all those warnings and did nothing to prepare for that attack.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:53 am

Source: Stalin's War by Sean McMeekin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McMe ... te_note-18

I was probably not very clear in my reference to "Hitler beat him to the punch." For sure the Soviets were not getting ready to actually attack Germany.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:26 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:53 am

Source: Stalin's War by Sean McMeekin

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McMe ... te_note-18

I was probably not very clear in my reference to "Hitler beat him to the punch." For sure the Soviets were not getting ready to actually attack Germany.

Thanks. The concluding sentence stated this: "To his credit, McMeekin doesn’t excuse Hitler’s attack on the Soviet Union as a preventative war or claim that Stalin was preparing to attack Germany."[18]
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:08 pm

Kbg wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:00 pm
I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:45 pm
The neocons' animating philosophy has been to remake the world a country at a time, into nations friendly to the US, by whatever means necessary.

As you can tell, I have no use for them, and I don't care if I agree with all of their other positions.
Ok, I Shrugged gets his wish and neoconservatism is out. What guides US foreign policy? Lay it out for us.
Let's look at North Korea as an example. Decades ago, we should have done what Trump tried to lay the groundwork for. Work harder towards true peace and trade with them, rather than try to isolate and sanction them to death. Now they have the bomb, which complicates it but doesn't change the basic principle. If they want to be repressive communists, let em. What is the neocon plan for North Korea?

Cuba is an easier example. Both are the same type of situation though. You either continue the cold warrior approach, or you try to open things up. Nixon went to China, but we can't even buy effing Cuban cigars. Kudos to Obama for at least starting in the right direction, which Trump stopped.

We don't need US military in 150+ nations. We don't need 900+ bases. We don't need to know every time a sparrow falls to the ground in some third world country. I think there is a lot of room on the spectrum between that and "isolationism".
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:16 pm

As an aside. I'm just a normal guy from a small town, yet I can't tell you how many people I've known who have some kind of US security clearance. It'd be interesting to know just how many there are. That's a barometer of the size of the military industry. Follow the money.

Harry Browne had a great line, "War is the biggest government program."
Dieter
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Dieter » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:22 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:08 pm
Kbg wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:
The neocons' animating philosophy has been to remake the world a country at a time, into nations friendly to the US, by whatever means necessary.

As you can tell, I have no use for them, and I don't care if I agree with all of their other positions.
Ok, I Shrugged gets his wish and neoconservatism is out. What guides US foreign policy? Lay it out for us.
<snip>

Cuba is an easier example. Both are the same type of situation though. You either continue the cold warrior approach, or you try to open things up. Nixon went to China, but we can't even buy effing Cuban cigars. Kudos to Obama for at least starting in the right direction, which Trump stopped.

<snip>
That politics, right? The Cuban ex-pat community in Florida
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:16 am

I Shrugged wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:08 pm
Kbg wrote:
I Shrugged wrote:

Let's look at North Korea as an example. Decades ago, we should have done what Trump tried to lay the groundwork for. Work harder towards true peace and trade with them, rather than try to isolate and sanction them to death. Now they have the bomb, which complicates it but doesn't change the basic principle. If they want to be repressive communists, let em. What is the neocon plan for North Korea?

We don't need US military in 150+ nations. We don't need 900+ bases. We don't need to know every time a sparrow falls to the ground in some third world country. I think there is a lot of room on the spectrum between that and "isolationism".
Bill Clinton made far more concerted and sustained attempts at getting out of the North Korean dynamic than Trump did. Trump tried a couple of months...and both failed because being "at war with the US" is a huge part of what the regime uses to repress and oppress the people of NK. I lean realist in international relations philosophy and NK isn't interested in making a deal with the US or South Korea. My personal nickname for NK is the two year old of the world's countries. You understand a two year old, you understand NK's behavior. Plus, I'm 100% positive a SK vs. NK fight with no help from us would end up in a win for SK (assuming everyone else stayed out of it...which is a huge assumption)

Cuba...agreed. Probably time to move on.

On where the US military is...also agreed. Having been a long time deep stater, I think the geographic combatant commands have turned out to be a bad idea. They made the military services work better together and really dialed down the old service rivalries which was their original purpose, but the downside is that when you have a (military) hammer, everything looks like a nail and they have overly militarized our foreign policy. But I'll poke back here...the only US organization that can balance DoD is the State Department and Trump/and Trump crazies hate the State Department.

Having noted the above...I think Teddy Roosevelt encapsulated my thoughts quite well. Walk softly and carry a big stick. The world actually is pretty dog eat dog...much better to be the big dog in my view. But that means buying more Alpo.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:49 am

And we are a big dog. We've never been in any danger of speaking German or Russian. Unlike some of the jingoistic slogans people say.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 24, 2022 12:04 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 11:49 am

And we are a big dog. We've never been in any danger of speaking German or Russian. Unlike some of the jingoistic slogans people say.

I have read that while Hitler underestimated the United States going into World War II ... I have never read he had any thoughts of taking over the United States.

Same with Russia? Wanted to reduce our sphere of influence (and get it under theirs's) but taking over us as a country?
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Desert wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:05 pm

I Shrugged wrote:

As a wise man once said:

Mister Krushchev said, "We will bury you"
I don't subscribe to this point of view
It'd be such an ignorant thing to do
If the Russians love their children too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/We_will_bury_you

In an article in The New York Times in 2018, translator Mark Polizzotti suggested that the phrase was mistranslated at the time and should properly have been translated as "We will outlast you," which gives a different sense to Khrushchev's statement.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:48 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
True, because we are a big dog with two large oceans around us and some reasonably friendly neighbors.

Friendly little dogs, no oceans, not so lucky.

Dogs tend to run in packs. It's good to have a bigger pack than a smaller pack when you run into another pack. Packs do this some times.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm

This week's (9/2/2022) Friday G-File is a classic.

Jonah explains why Biden's campaign-speech-as-presidential-address was bad, discusses the victim mentality has expanded to also infect the right, and goes into the weeds of some right-on-right crime between the Dispatch and the Spectator.

Fun read.

https://gfile.thedispatch.com/p/rights- ... urce=email
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:35 am

joypog wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:59 pm

This week's (9/2/2022) Friday G-File is a classic.

Jonah explains why Biden's campaign-speech-as-presidential-address was bad, discusses the victim mentality has expanded to also infect the right, and goes into the weeds of some right-on-right crime between the Dispatch and the Spectator.

Fun read.

https://gfile.thedispatch.com/p/rights- ... urce=email

It has been there for decades! NOT a NEW phenomenon.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Well yeah...but given that he's a relatively recent defector from the rightwing political machine, I'll give him some allowance on overlooking the sins of the past.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:41 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:55 pm

Well yeah...but given that he's a relatively recent defector from the rightwing political machine, I'll give him some allowance on overlooking the sins of the past.

I was unaware he'd defected. When did this happen?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:18 pm

vnatale wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:41 pm
joypog wrote:
Well he didn't defect to the dem's...but he's been Anti-Trump and generally down on Trump's GOP bootlickers. He regularly comments that he sees the world a differently now that he doesn't have a natural side to support.

He's nowhere near Charlie Sykes or Bill Kristol in their Anti-Trump-so-let's-get-Dems-elected approach, but he's not pulling punches...hence the grief the he's been getting as a squishy RINOs, though the comments on this thread have provided almost nothing of substance.

(The only substantive critique I've seen on this thread is I Shrugged's attack Goldberg and French's NeoCon international policy as disqualifying of all of their other positions...which may be reasonable from a libertarian perspective but doesn't make them RINO's in any real fashion).
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm

BTW Allahpundit is hopping over from Hot Air to the Dispatch. He wrote a nice goodbye as his final piece on Hot Air.

https://hotair.com/allahpundit/2022/09/ ... ir-n494121

The whole piece is worth a read, but I thought this was a very gracious goodbye in the middle of the essay. Though I'm a liberal squish so what do I know.
Thank you to Michelle Malkin for having taken a chance on me when she started Hot Air so many years ago. She made my career possible. And above all, thank you to Jon Garthwaite and Townhall Media, who stuck with me even as the GOP changed and I declined to change with it. At this point I must be the only strident critic of Donald Trump serving a pro-Trump populist readership across all of conservative media. And that’s been true *for years.* Since 2020, at least.

It was possible only because of Townhall’s sufferance, a show of integrity for which they don’t get enough credit. But I think all of us knew it couldn’t last. When you hire someone to run your hot-dog stand and he starts telling the customers that hot dogs are bad for them, that relationship won’t endure. Even if he’s right about the hot dogs.

Thank you to my critics — the earnest ones, who weren’t just axe-grinding because I wouldn’t join a cult. I am not dishonest but am frequently stupid and you were right to call me on my moments of stupidity. Accountability is good. The right needs more of it from its own side, urgently. If the average populist slobberer had a few like you in their ear, we wouldn’t be in the fix we’re in.

Lastly, to those who spent the last seven years barking insults at me in the comments for not genuflecting to Trump, I’ll give you this: You’re not phonies. You believe what you say. We have that much in common. I respect honesty and paid you the respect of being honest. It would scandalize you to know how many of your heroes sound like you in public and like me in private. Audience capture has brought most of conservative media to ruin by making it predictable and shrill.

I hear Lincoln’s words in my head as I write that: “We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies.” Let’s hope. But let’s also be real: To a certain sort of Very Online Trumpist weirdo, having the right enemies is what politics is all about. To any who insist upon having me as one, I’m okay with it. Few badges of honor shine as brightly as the scorn of authoritarians.
I Shrugged
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by I Shrugged » Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:56 pm

joypog wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:18 pm
vnatale wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 8:41 pm
joypog wrote:
Well he didn't defect to the dem's...but he's been Anti-Trump and generally down on Trump's GOP bootlickers. He regularly comments that he sees the world a differently now that he doesn't have a natural side to support.

He's nowhere near Charlie Sykes or Bill Kristol in their Anti-Trump-so-let's-get-Dems-elected approach, but he's not pulling punches...hence the grief the he's been getting as a squishy RINOs, though the comments on this thread have provided almost nothing of substance.

(The only substantive critique I've seen on this thread is I Shrugged's attack Goldberg and French's NeoCon international policy as disqualifying of all of their other positions...which may be reasonable from a libertarian perspective but doesn't make them RINO's in any real fashion).
Just to be clear, are you calling people here who support Trump bootlickers?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:35 pm

I Shrugged wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:56 pm
joypog wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:18 pm
Just to be clear, are you calling people here who support Trump bootlickers?
Nope. That other thread with only 3 voters for Trump is pretty good proof of that.

I am amenable to the fact that the General election is a binary choice and one may choose to vote for Trump in 2024. I think that's horribly wrong, but if he makes it past the primaries I understand why someone might make choose Red vs Blue in the general election without being a bootlicker.

All I was saying is that the only person that provided a substantive argument against what the Dispatch guys are up to is you. Even though I disagree with your objection, I found it a reasonable reason to discount the rest of their work. If I finds a pundit's policy XYZ particularly egregious, I more than willing to discount all of their other opinions (for example, I do that with all bootlicking Trump pundits).

However, noone else has brought up any critiques of the Dispatch guys. One poster mentioned that right wing critics will call them various epithets but did not claim that opinion for themself, nor did they elaborate the substance of that assertion when I asked.
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 am

joypog wrote:
Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:35 pm
However, noone else has brought up any critiques of the Dispatch guys. One poster mentioned that right wing critics will call them various epithets but did not claim that opinion for themself, nor did they elaborate the substance of that assertion when I asked.
I don’t read enough of their stuff to offer my own critique and I’m not interested in taking the time to do so. I don’t have a lot of time to get into debates on the internet which is why I do far more reading than posting. I was simply suggesting that the Dispatch guys do not represent all areas of conservative thought. If you’re genuinely curious you might want to include a broader range of opinions.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Tue Sep 06, 2022 7:14 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 am

joypog wrote:

I don’t read enough of their stuff to offer my own critique and I’m not interested in taking the time to do so. I don’t have a lot of time to get into debates on the internet which is why I do far more reading than posting. I was simply suggesting that the Dispatch guys do not represent all areas of conservative thought. If you’re genuinely curious you might want to include a broader range of opinions.

Who do you value and recommend?
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:33 am

flyingpylon wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:48 am
joypog wrote:
That's fair, I agree they don't cover the range of conservative thought - nor do they claim that they are the full range of conservativism. I mean, you can't claim to be the umbrella when you spend half your time critiquing the majority of the political movement.

Like you my time is limited, so I am curious about the opinions of the folks on this board who I've come to know and like. But not curious enough to sample the critiques of bootlicking Trumpists to see what I might be missing.

Hence why I started the thread here and not on twitter.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:19 am

joypog, could I reiterate a question that I Shrugged asked and that you misunderstood or avoided?

Are you saying that ANYONE who supports Trump, prior to the "lesser of two evils" general election phase, is a bootlicker? Your response seemed to be that relatively few people here are in that camp. But there are some, and you didn't address your thoughts on them.