Cognitive Health of Biden vs. Trump

Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Cognitive Health of Biden vs. Trump

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:44 pm

I just want to mention how amazing the hypocrisy of the left wing media is. Every time Trump would do something even slightly out of line with a perceived behavioural norm, the press was more than ready to pounce on it as newsworthy. This included completely innocuous things like typos in a tweet, or the "sing-songy voice" incident. Given the countless hours of speeches and interviews the man made, any one of us would be bound to slip up at least slightly.

Biden? The guy doesn't even seem to know what planet he's on half of the time. Yet there's not even a peep in the liberal and mainstream media about his clearly frayed cognitive state. How is this guy supposed to be the leader of an entire country?
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Cognitive Health of Biden vs. Trump

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:56 pm

Nothing new here. The only Republican president/presidential candidate who hasn't been stupid, dumb, a rich megalomanic, uncouth, a moron, lazy, prone to naps, golf and long vacations in the last century was Eisenhower and probably the only reason he got a pass was because he was a war hero who served not long after WW2 and attacking him was line not to be crossed without damaging reader/viewership.

The press thing was a real strength of Reagan's. Trump knows how to keep himself always in the press and the focus of the press. Reagan was really good at making the press look stupid and biased even to Democrats.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:58 pm

Kbg, I'm assuming you mean, "according to the mainstream press"?
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:59 pm

yep
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 pm

Shows you how much of a cocoon I've been in. I thought Biden's difficulties were known by all...but I've been on that weird never-trumper info train.

BTW At what point do we start including Fox as part of the MSM? Don't they have the largest share of the networks? And I have to assume they are having a field day with his issues.
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Smith1776
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Smith1776 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:08 pm

Yeah, I mean, I think we've all kind of known he's had issues before even running for president.

It's just that.. he's been president for so long now. I would have expected someone at a CNN desk by now to capitulate and be like "Yo, maybe we should, like, uhhhhhh.. say something?"
🛞 The All-Terrain Portfolio 🛞
flyingpylon
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by flyingpylon » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:14 pm

joypog wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:04 pm
BTW At what point do we start including Fox as part of the MSM?
Many people already do, more so after 11/3/2020.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:37 pm

Fox is completely mainstream US media...toxic, non-informative and gives you 50% of a story with little to no actual reporters on staff.

Same can be said about the lefties.

Their job and business model is to sell news/adverts, not inform you. Normally if I watch US TV news (which is very rare), ABC and CBS seem to be a bit more sane as they are only trying to fill a couple of hours a day vs. 24/7/365.
barrett
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by barrett » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:20 am

Smith1776 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:08 pm
Yeah, I mean, I think we've all kind of known he's had issues before even running for president.

It's just that.. he's been president for so long now. I would have expected someone at a CNN desk by now to capitulate and be like "Yo, maybe we should, like, uhhhhhh.. say something?"
Many of us south of the border just ignore most of the MSM (including Fox & the ravers on talk radio) because we have given up hope that they have any interest in reporting actual news without putting a serious left or right spin on everything. Curious to know how this differs from Canadian news organizations. As an aside, it was always striking to me when working up there that Canadians consume so much US news.

CNN will never call out Biden for being a bumbling soon-to-be octogenarian just as Fox and others will never admit that Trump is so deeply flawed. Smith, you have an interest in stand up, right? Down here we often get the most rational point of view from comedians like Bill Maher (formerly a big-time lefty but now just another guy who finds it all goofy).

I try to talk to a lot of people with differing political views and there are a LOT of us that are way more centrist than one would expect from watching television. We just don't have our own news outlet.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:07 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q86f4ZsvJ6I

Hopefully we get at least one viable candidate between the two main parties. I couldn't bring myself to vote for either the last two presidential elections. I'll vote for nearly anyone the R's put up except for Trump or Desantis.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:11 pm

What's the case against DeSantis?
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:32 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:11 pm
What's the case against DeSantis?
From what I read about his actions against Disney, he seems like a thug.
https://www.factcheck.org/2022/05/desantis-vs-disney-qa/ wrote:Before he made the bill law, DeSantis said of Disney: “You’re a corporation based in Burbank, California, and you’re going to marshal your economic might to attack the parents of my state? We view that as a provocation, and we’re going to fight back against that.”
It doesn't seem appropriate to me for a Governor to retaliate against a corporation over a political issue.
Xan
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Xan » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:49 pm

It doesn't seem appropriate for Disney to advocate marketing homosexuality to kindergarteners.

Regardless, it's Disney that's out of its lane here, no?
glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by glennds » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:22 pm

Two wrongs don't make a right. I agree that Disney and other corporations should stay out of political issues of this nature. So yes, Disney should have stayed in their lane. What they did was succumb to employee pressure and pressure at the shareholder meeting for remaining silent. I think they could have just appeased their stakeholders by giving money to some LGBTQ causes and stayed out of the political issue. Even donating to a PAC that opposes the legislation would have kept them in the shadows.

But DeSantis' retaliation may very well end up being a net loss for the state, and especially certain counties as I understand it. This is in part due to assumption of all the infrastructure maintenance, construction and all municipal responsibilities within the special district, and in part due to assumption of existing debt.
The massive improvements within the district were not funded out of Disney's pocket but through bonds issued by the district itself with Disney's credit in the background. If they dissolve the special district, the counties assume about $1B in bonds. The state could be cutting its nose to spite its face.
But it brings some political capital to DeSantis personally, at least with his base which I hope was not his primary motivation for retaliating.

Wouldn't it be great if both sides sat down in a room and came to a resolution on things like this before they escalate into a public spectacle?

EDIT: Fun Fact - Disney's corporate communications guy listed on the bottom of their press release on this is named Jeffrey Epstein. Poor sod.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:42 pm

Xan wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:49 pm
It doesn't seem appropriate for Disney to advocate marketing homosexuality to kindergarteners.

Yeah, I don't think that's appropriate either. However, we're not talking about making Walt Disney president.
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 pm

Jack Jones wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:42 pm
Xan wrote:

Yeah, I don't think that's appropriate either. However, we're not talking about making Walt Disney president.
First thought that came to my mind: You can’t serve God and mamon. Disney needs to choose. I think I know what they chose.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
joypog
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by joypog » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:11 pm

Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 pm
Jack Jones wrote:
Xan wrote:

First thought that came to my mind: You can’t serve God and mamon. Disney needs to choose. I think I know what they chose.
Then again, choosing God would also be sliding out of their lane right?

I don't like what DeSantis did, but executives make all kinds of mistakes in their job...only a few special ones try to actively implode their own organization for their own gain.

But of course, we'll be getting those Republican X is actually worse than Trump thought pieces for the next year, if not the rest of our lives....
1/n weirdo. US-TSM, US-SCV, Intl-SCV, LTT, STT, GLD (+ a little in MF)
Mountaineer
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:19 pm

joypog wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:11 pm
Mountaineer wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:53 pm
Jack Jones wrote:
Xan wrote:

Then again, choosing God would also be sliding out of their lane right?

I don't like what DeSantis did, but executives make all kinds of mistakes in their job...only a few special ones try to actively implode their own organization for their own gain.

But of course, we'll be getting those Republican X is actually worse than Trump thought pieces for the next year, if not the rest of our lives....
Disney is in the entertainment business. They would probably do better if they stayed out of religion and false religion - secular heresies included.
DNA has its own language (code), and language requires intelligence. There is no known mechanism by which matter can give birth to information, let alone language. It is unreasonable to believe the world could have happened by chance.
Jack Jones
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Jack Jones » Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:11 pm