Why did Pelosi cross the road?

glennds
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re: Why did Pelosi cross the road?

Post by glennds » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:37 pm

Kbg wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 5:33 pm

If you are the law enforcement officer your job is to enforce the law not interpret it. That's what we have judges for who then apply common sense, special circumstances or whatever to toss, downgrade or upgrade the penalty. That's the theory anyway it's best when the system functions that way over the long haul. Of course, officers and judges are people and they have good and bad days and are inconsistent. Sometimes you get the traffic warning, sometimes you get the $250 speeding ticket. Apparently, this person got the ag inspector who was having a bad day.

Me personally...I'm uber cautious on this stuff.

You do have to use common sense. For example, landing in Jordan with a bag full of bacon strips is probably not a good idea. I have found that when countries are sensitive about something, they usually provide ample warning. Example - when flying into Taiwan in 2019, they had been hit with some kind of African swine flu that had decimated the hog population so they were ultra sensitive about raw, uncooked meat being carried in. There was sign after sign that you would have to ignore to run afoul of that.

My only customs issue happened when traveling back to the US from Toronto. Our kids were toddlers, and mama bear packed these incredible panini sandwiches and a clamshell package of strawberries for a snack. Nobody cared about the sandwiches, but boy we got flagged for the strawberries and taken to a US Customs inspection area. The inspector was actually pretty nice, and I noticed the sticker on the package said grown and packed in California. I showed him, and he said no law against repatriating American strawberries and sent us on our way.

There's a Canadian reality show called (I think) Border Security where they show the kind of shit people try to smuggle, both at land crossings and airport entry. It's amazing. Yeah, the border agents have stories.
Kbg
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by Kbg » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Getting a bit OT but hey why not?

It's not a totally American thing, more of an "I'm special" one I think, but I find it incredible when people go into a foreign country and think US (or pick a western country) rules and customs apply and particularly so in countries that are known to lean authoritarian. The Britney Griner thing is classic. I have no idea if she did or didn't do what is purported (or was just set up because the war was kicking off)...but definitely illustrative of being stupid (if she did it).
Last edited by Kbg on Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
vnatale
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by vnatale » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:04 am

MangoMan wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:03 am

Kbg wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Getting a bit OT but hey why not?

It's not a totally American thing, more of an "I'm special" one I think, but I find it incredible when people go into a foreign country and think US (or pick a western country) rules and customs apply and particularly so in countries that are known to lean authoritarian. The Whitney Griner thing is classic. I have no idea if she did or didn't do what is purported (or was just set up because the war was kicking off)...but definitely illustrative of being stupid (if she did it).

It's Brittney, not Whitney. Let's go even more OT since you brought it up. Perfect example of the Left going off the rails. She was indeed stupid if she did what she is accused of, but not as stupid as the reaction from the Left. One popular narrative is that whole thing could have been avoided if WNBA players were paid as much as NBA men, bc then she wouldn't have to go to Russia to make more money. Except she is paid over $220,000 a year by the league, plus whatever endorsements she gets, and has a reported net worth of over $5M. So she doesn't need to go to Russia, she chooses to. And anybody using a brain instead of feelings would note that the NBA has a boatload more money to pay players bc people actually watch the games.

The truth! People generally do not want to watch inferior product when there is an obvious superior one available.

That said, professional basketball and college basketball are two different things with different attractions.

But for a serious basketball fan there are no comparisons between professional men's and women's basketball. Men's is far superior in just about every aspect of the game.
Above provided by: Vinny, who always says: "I only regret that I have but one lap to give to my cats." AND "I'm a more-is-more person."
boglerdude
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by boglerdude » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:07 pm

It was possible to ignore politics...until March 2020. And hopefully again if we can get through flu season without hysteria.
Attachments
FYEF8SNXEAIU6Qz.jpg
FYEF8SNXEAIU6Qz.jpg (115.79 KiB) Viewed 575 times